Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnywood_gw

Blue Angel?

sunnywood4bChazyNY
10 years ago

My son brought this home from a nursery that he was working at about 10 years ago. I think it is Blue Angel, but not sure. I have another big blue that I think is Blue Mammoth.

Comments (16)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I think you're right. That's a beautiful plant. Great-looking garden area, too.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Do you have a pic of your other big blue?

Don B.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is the plant that I think is Blue Mammoth. It is about 2 year old division of a relatives plant. The flower spike is about 3 feet high.

• dg
    10 years ago

There, now it's upright for you.
    Oooh, so pretty!
    ;-)

• ctopher_mi
    10 years ago

They both look great, but they are the other way around. The first is Blue Mammoth and the second is Blue Angel.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Gorgeous biggies, both of them and they have a lovely garden to call home.

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

i am with chris ...

first is too blue for BA ... and too round ... i have never seen one that blue ... and lack of such.. is the first clue to BA ...

ken

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This is my Blue Angel, taken in early spring. Quite blue (in almost complete shade) but leaves shaped more like your second picture.

10 years ago

that isnt the BA i remember..

leaf shape is right..

but i dont ever recall one that blue .. but the big ones are often stuck way in back of a bed where its dark ...

if it is??? ... ITS THE BEST ONE I EVER SAW ... CONGRATS ...

i wonder if i am remembering some mix up in the trade with plants being sold as BA ???? or is that some other plant.. like bud is wiser.. and that other one that was just mentioned in a post .... drat

ken

• User
    10 years ago

Holy Toledo, both of those are gorgeous plants.

Blue Mammoth is a great powder blue there....and BA is the blue-green of near coastal sea water.

Old Dirt, your Blue Angel is lovely and much bluer than mine. Mine is one of the oldest or most mature hosta in my garden, and has been in the ground since May 2011....I moved it late this summer and hope I did not set it back. It shows no sign of going dormant yet.

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

I'm sure there could be a mistake, the plant came from White Oak Nurseries which I've always thought very good and reliable. It has been in the ground since 2007 or 2008.
    I have got a couple plants in the past that we're named wrong and some I still wonder about. I'm not very scientific but is there any way to positively tell the difference?
    Thanks for the compliments, regardless what it is...

10 years ago

probably .... we wait for chris ...

WOak was one of my faves.. back in the day ..

if there was a mix up.... it was at the TCer ... not the retailer...

but today.. i am not sure of that ????

ken

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have been searching the web for pictures and descriptions of the big blues. I am totally confused. Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between Blue Angel,ELEGANS and Blue Mammoth.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My 'Blue Angels', 'Elegans' and 'Blue Mammoth' seem to match the Hosta Library pictures. I bought those from local nurseries which seem to know how to label.
    In the past I had that problem with identifying greenies which I grew in my yard since 1987 and had no identification left. It is especially difficult when you look at young leaves which have no corrugation yet and different vein count some times. When I checked my greenies I compared information in the Hosta Library to my plants. I took photos of leaves of the plants in my garden, measured height, width, leaf size, counted veins. Some plants change leaf colors during summer. Mature sizes I compared to the info at Mickfield Hostas which has grown plants to maturity I was told. Hosta Library sometimes shows immature sizes.
    Since it was confusing to me, I tabulated all data on my computer.
    Good luck!
    Bernd

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Many of the blues, like Blue Angel, are somewhat blue in the spring, but lose that blue color as the season goes on and become dark green. My Blue Angel is, pretty much, the same color as Hyacinthia - maybe a little bit bluer, but not much. Elegans has much more wax, and looks kind of mottled later in the season - at least here. Also, I understand that Blue Angel has some kind of unique look at the tail end. I've never looked for it, so I'm only repeating what I've heard. I know nothing about Blue Mammoth.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Berndny, I had to copy your post above to my "clippings" because I think you nailed the procedure one must follow to really really identify hosta NOIDs.

My hat is off to you, dude.