Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

Glacier Cascade

bragu_DSM 5
10 years ago

This is the first year in a number of years my Glacier Cascade did not bloom.

The leaves were huge and beyond, exceeding the plant height (26 inch) and both leaf width (4.5 inch) and length (11 inches) that we read in some of the online descriptions.

No scapes, tho ... anyone else have similar issues?

I suspect it is probably because it was so stressed with our drought last summer.

dave

Comments (20)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Mine has seed pods all over it.

Steve

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Deleted as a bad post.

bk

This post was edited by bkay2000 on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 9:59

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Dave's 'Glacier Cascade' didn't even have scapes this season. Not surprised seed pods didn't form. ; P

(Am I missing something)?

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

no flowers this year ... very unusual

that is all

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Your post made me curious, and also because one of my hosta did not bloom this year.......so I googled "lack of flowers on hosta"....I found this excellent thread from the perennial forum that addresses the non-blooming issue very well....a great thread that should be included in the hosta forum as well.

I found out why mine likely did not bloom this year...perhaps you will too. :-)

Jo

Here is a link that might be useful: Lack of flowers on hosta

This post was edited by josephines67 on Sun, Oct 13, 13 at 10:58

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Didn't mean to sound cryptic...just needed to get more coffee, sorry.

I hope you don't mind, Dave but...I don't own the lovely Glacier Cascade hosta...I do however have a non-flowering performer in Wolverine. It has grown in its clay pot, on the deck with eastern exposure, all season long.

It did not flower this year or last year or the year I bought it (2011). Primarily I attribute this to insufficient watering (I watered it, to be sure, but not as much or as often as it needed). It is such a beautiful hosta in my eyes that the lack of flowering is secondary...but came to the forefront when you posted....which prompted a google search...which led to link ----TA DAH!

Here's hoping we'll get our flowers next year, Dave. :-)

Now...to return to google and ogle at more pics of Glacier Cascade.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to my fellow Canadian hosta lovers!

Jo

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, drought => lack of water

we got into a Stage 2 drought last year and could not water our gardens other than with the water from the rain barrels, which doesn't last long

We are just about ready to hit a stage 1 drought yet this fall, our lake is so low ... good thing we are going to dredge next year ... and make it deeper ... that's why we pay an extra $15 A MONTH on our water bills ... until the year 2033

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

$15 a month, but only til 2033. THEN it'll be 30 dollars a damn month!

Tax dollars 'at work' (and by 'at work' I mean MISSPENT).

Don B.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I don't know anything about that particular hosta,but here's what I have found after my years of growing hosta. Some of my hostas bloom every year. Some of hem bloom sometimes. Some have NEVER bloomed. Some bloom,but never set seeds,(I'm not talking sterile ones here). Of the ones that have set seeds,only Korean Snow ever had a plant that was anything but plain green. Is that clear as mud? Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Don't understand that last sentence, Phil. Can you restate it so my coffee-deprived brain can be enlightened?

I have eight plantaginea plants. Two of them bloomed this year. One was a tiny one which came late last year (Solberg ) and the other one was an early 2012 arrival from Hornbaker, which bloomed really really late in September, and set ONE huge pod.

My very first plantaginea, MAMA, from PDN (Plant Delights) came in 2010, bloomed for that year magnificently and made me fall in love with it, then failed to bloom in 2012 and 2013. I dug her up in 2011 to live in a pot, and brought her south from MA. This spring I repotted her and she added lots of little eyes which I know mean good news for the future, and I am content with that. However, I think the very harsh 2012 season was the cause of this year's lack of blooms. The other 400 hosta which did NOT endure a climate change but came straight from the mail order nurseries where they were pampered and promised the good life, mostly prospered too......some did not bloom, but I did not expect them to. A couple of my new 2013 plants amazed me by blooming....such as Inniswood, Jade Stone, Guacamole, Mariachi (oh gorgeous!), Holly's Dazzler (gorgeous and first fragrant to bloom this year).

I'm assuming that the excessive amount of rain is what kept my flowers from setting a lot of pods. The pollen was washed away just about every day, except for that on pendulous blooms.

Hope this is cogent. Sorry. I'm distracted....our clothes dryer began whomping and needs a repairman.

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

I bloomed probably 70% of my plants and cut most scapes as I am not all that interested in starting any seeds until after I retire. I did set seed as it got hotter and I got lazier. I also have bees and wasps I let live in my yard so they were busy pollenating.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

What I meant by that last statement,mocc was,Korean Snow produced a streaked baby;all the others were plain green hostas. 99 percent of all hostas,even from variegated plants will be green. Does that make sense? Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Phil, it is clear and it makes sense. You communicate very well. I'm so glad that I like greenies. :)

Meanwhile, I'm realizing that I have a lot of seed pods, even from JUST the fragrant hosta. I'll probably turn into the Johnny Appleseed of hosta in the south, finding suitable homes for greenies.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

moc ... you like greenies ...

and you make up a story about "needing a repairman"...

the coffee thing I get.

is there more?

*insert ken's lol crikey here*

dave *highly entertained by reading into things that are not there*

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Don B. *Highly entertained by reading about Dave reading into things that are not there*

Ever do any 'Hybridzing' Dave? Just curious, now that I know for a fact hosta leaves are NOT hallucinogenic (Bleh! BITTER, though)!!

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don: no. don't have time, patience, mind, interest ... money, money mostly. gotta work to pay da bank.

if i were 20 years younger, had time to do that and spend time making sure i had something different, that is genetically stable, that people would want ... i would have like to have done that.

I'm content looking for sports among the 450 or so varieties I have, hoping I'll find another Mrs Cleaver ...

dave *now thinking about thinking about something different*

how's the foot?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

The foot is healing right up, at least that is what I am told. It itches quite regularly. A good sign, 'They' tell me. All in all, I've had much more serious breaks. I guess I'm fortunate that it happened at the end of the growing season. By spring, I should be rearin' to go. You see, my good man, I am still a 44-year old Spring Chicken! : p

Thanks for asking, Dave. : )

Don B(rokenfoot)

• bragu_DSM 5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brokenfoot Mountain?

Wasn't there a movie by that name ....

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

• User
    10 years ago

Hey BraguDave, and GuacDon da SunGuac King.....not made up repairs, it is a real quandry when just before the remodel here begins, each major appliance seems intent on turning into a piece of Ken's famous term, CARP. Sort of distracting.
    Crikey, you'd think there is a TIMER placed in those appliances which alarms the minute the warranty ends.
    Don, a side effect of the foot is to predict the weather when it begins to ache as the seasons change. You're young now, but old injuries have a way of haunting us as we age. How do I know? Crikey, I've been there!

At least the hosta turn in for the winter reliably enough. Today I hope my Casita Azul order of 3 arrives.They may already be dormant.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Hard to believe we have a thread without a picture. Glacier Cascade is indeed a greenie. But right now it's showing its Fall colors. Here's a non-green leaf.

Steve