Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_wny

Cryptozoology-Themed Hostas

steve_wny
10 years ago

I am in the process of planning a cryptozoology-themed hosta bed, and am thinking about which hostas might fit.

Cryptozoology involves (per the Wikipedia definition) "the search for animals whose existence has not been proven. This includes looking for living examples of animals that are considered extinct, such as dinosaurs; animals whose existence lacks physical evidence but which appear in myths, legends, or are reported, such as Bigfoot and Chupacabra;[1] and wild animals dramatically outside their normal geographic ranges, such as phantom cats (also known as Alien Big Cats)."

Some possibilities that came to mind are: H. "Bigfoot", H. "Sasquatch", H. "Loch Ness Monster", H. "T-Rex", H. "Mastodon" and H. "Blue Mammoth".

If you can think of any others, I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks- steve_wny

Comments (25)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

H. 'Woolly Mammoth' and H. 'Dino' come to mind. I'll try to find some others.

Don B.

EDIT: To add H. 'American Yeti'.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Fri, Oct 4, 13 at 20:21

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Swamp thing?
    Backyard Monster?

• vpeterson
    10 years ago

How about Blue Mammoth.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

just what Don Rawson - needs another list to add to his lists ;-b) teehee

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Perhaps a few of these might fit with the theme....'Imperial Dragon', Ice Age Trail', Dinosaur Track', ' Dragon Wings' and 'Frost Giant'

Don B.

• dg
    10 years ago

H Dodo bird
    H Unicorn
    H Loch Ness Monster
    H Icabod Crane
    H Leprechaun

Edited to say, yeah, I was just makin' those up, but if you need some names for new hosta, well there ya go!

This post was edited by Dgregory on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 19:22

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Deb, 'Lochness Monster' and 'Leprechaun' really ARE named hostas! : )

Don B.

• dg
    10 years ago

Oops! Don, nice catch.
    Sheesh, I guess should have looked them up before hand...

So by happy accident, Lochness Monster and Leprechaun are viable choices for Steve's garden!
    :-)
    Deb

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL There are so many hosta varieties, Deb, that it's hard to even make up names, it seems : )

Don B.

P.S. I like that name, H. 'Dodo Bird' : ) I went to look it up to see what it could possibly look like!

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

H. Coelacanth ... I've always wanted to name a large hosta, with piecrust-edged leaves, after this dinosaur fish.

I think I have heard of 3 or 4 of these fish turning up in my lifetime. I remember doing a report on it in school and teach gave me a bad grade, til I pulled out a newspaper article ... and she ate crow (oh, i saved the recipe, it's come in handy more than once)

ÃÂ. ÃÂ --~

dave

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

Perhaps the rarest of all........

H. Politicus Probitas or 'Honest Politician'

Jon

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Don't forget Jurassic park.I have one but it's only a baby.

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    10 years ago

Found some more,

Hosta 'Ice Age Trail'
    Hosta 'Jaws'
    Hosta 'Komodo Dragon'
    Hosta 'Sea Octopus'

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Jon, I'm afraid that one IS extinct : (

Bragu, National Geographic Channel had a recent special on the Coelacanth. Name of the special was 'Dinofish'. Had to scuba dive to a depth of 380+ feet, but got great footage of a big adult. Cool stuff.

Steve, there is also H. 'Ghost Spirit', H. Elfin Power' and H. 'X-Files'.

Don B.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

jon ... that would also be known as h. oxymoron

dave

• Jon 6a SE MA
    10 years ago

re- H. Politicus Probitas

Don,

I think it would have had to exist to be classified as extinct???

Dave,

I guess so.

Jon

• esther_b
    10 years ago

I have SEEN a Coelacanth with my own eyes. It was a preserved specimen I saw via a behind the scenes tour of the American Museuum of Natural History. Wouldn't win any beauty contests, but it was cool.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I have NEVER SEEN an honest politician with my own eyes. Those are rarer than a mature H. 'Great Expectations'

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Esther, that IS cool, very cool indeed!

Don B.

• steve_wny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again, folks. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

Godzilla

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Um. I'm pretty sure we have physical evidence that Dinosaurs and Mammoths (although not blue ones) once existed. And of course Komodo Dragons are currently alive and healthy. Not so much the other suggestions.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 13:48

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

What a fun idea for a named hosta bed.

Vpeterson- Is it just the lighting, or does your Blue Mammoth have a virus?

Now THAT is scary.

As for Komodo Dragons, I've seen them, lots of them, when we spent a night on Komodo Island.

-Babka

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Below is a link which may be helpful. By the way, I think Van Wade has a new one named 'Megaladon'.

Prehistoric Garden

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You're absolutely right, Steve. However, the way we push hostas on this forum, given an opening, I'm surprised nobody suggested 'Empress Wu' or something. : P

Don B.

P.S. Hey, how about 'Guacamole'??