Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemayon

ID Help Please

ConnieMay ON Z6a
9 years ago

I picked up this hosta on vacation in early July in Northern Ontario. It was on a table marked "field grown hosta". It had no tag, but when I planted it I found that the roots had grown around the bottom half of a tag...so I believe that it is a named cultivar - just no idea which. The colours remind me of what my blue shadows should someday look like but with a lot of cupping. Do you think that it might be Tokudama Aureonebulosa?

Comments (22)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a closeup of that streaked leaf. The flowers were small and white and reminded me of the flowers on Maui Buttercups.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Tokudama Aureonebulosa or maybe Rhino Hide. You could measure the leaf thickness with a micrometer to determine whether or not it is Rhino Hide...Rhino Hide will be .016 to .018 inches thick...

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

lol.. don.. i bet a nickle.. your the only one that has a micrometer in his back pocket while out in the yard ... lol

the second leaf looks like it could be TA ... but i dont recall it having that much white in the first pic ...

its kinda late in the season.. and your plant is immature .... based on the transplant... the babe below cracks me up .....

i hope others make observations... but i think you will need to repost this come next june or so ....

heck.. it might even be GE ....

ken

ps: it has to be a named cultivar ... no species is variegated like this ... if at all ...

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Don,

Thank you so much for your response! I had a gorgeous RH that I lost this past spring. It was a very strong grower with a narrow center variegation (like your first pic in the Hosta Library). When I first bought this NOID I immediately thought it might be RH. It does have very thick leaves - I can't measure the thickness but it compares to RH & the colour seems right. What makes me think that it may not be, is that even the very immature eyes come up with very round, cupped leaves that have early signs of puckering. Am I wrong in thinking that this is not what RH looks like when immature?

Here is a pic (taken just now in the rain) of a small piece of the plant that I removed back in July.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Ken,

I think you're right ...I need to wait to see it come up next year because they tend to look very different.

This plant has more waxiness to it than my GE and the flowers are not the same... Also, my GE centres turn completely white by late summer while this plant, although cited in mid-day sun is holding on quite well to the yellow with only a little bleaching. My GE has already started to turn orange for the fall. :(

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

My NOID is now blooming...does this help with the ID? The buds look like peeled garlic cloves to me...

Here is a pic of the whole plant:

• kaybradj
    8 years ago

what is the crimson plant in the bottom right of the last pic?

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Kaybradj - that is Heuchera Berry Smoothie (a division from my larger plant). It is a top performer for me, vigorous and has great colour.

Here is a better pic.

• kaybradj
    8 years ago

Thanks. I added some to my bed this weekend. I'm not sure its the same variety but a Heuchera, none the less.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still trying to ID this hosta. Today I dug it up because it kept having these smaller leafed plants beside it (see first pic above) and I thought maybe more than one plant had been put in the pot that I purchased...so I washed off the soil and found one rhizone - that linked the larger plant and the progressively smaller plants...I've never seen anything like this on a hosta before. Have you? Does this help with an ID?

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

ConnieMay, I haven't a clue, sorry but I did read through Don Rawson's Lists..nothing from the Rhizomatous list jumped out at me....not a far stretch as I am not familiar with most of them, lol. Have you checked the list to see if there is anything in the names that rings a bell for you?

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hi Josephine - yes, I read through it and then searched about half of them in the hosta library because I wasn't familiar with them either...none looked like this one...

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    7 years ago

How do the larger leaves compare to last year? The babies can be cut off and replanted by themselves? Don't give up...maybe take another photo in a while and bump this thread back up? It might ring a bell with someone.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It still looked similar to the first pic above this year. I cut off the largest plantlet and planted it by itself. I cut off a section of the rhizome that didn't have any plantlets on it and replanted it as an experiment...I suspect it will sprout. I then planted the remaining piece that has about 4 plantlets on it. If you look at the first pic you will see 3 plantlets in the pic that are attached by one rhizome...it's a real oddity to me...

• smorz
    7 years ago

Maybe start looking at sports off the list? I looked at Beauty Queen, a sport of Dorothy. It doesn't sound like it was made readily available and the bloom color on Dorothy is light lavender... but for being the only one I randomly looked at, it is closer then anything I saw on the list :)

• smorz
    7 years ago

And I am glad when I got Rhino Hide it had a small tagalong (2 for 1)... because I lost my larger one to frost heave this winter. The other one looks happy, so I aint moving it for nuttin.

• TaraMaiden
    7 years ago

I'm amazed that with all those shade-lovers you don't appear to have any slug/snail damage...

...Can I come and live with you - ?! LOL!!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Alexandra -the slugs will start in the next couple of weeks - we still had winter weather just 2 weeks ago. We skipped spring & went straight to summer heat this year...

• koffman99
    7 years ago

I'll throw a guess out there and say it looks like H. Heatwave. To me it doesn't appear to have any of the attributes of the Rhino Hide I have. Good Luck with it's identification.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks Koffman99 - I agree - I thought that it might be Tokudama Aureonebulosa (related to Heatwave) but the root system and lack of clumping don't seem consistent with the pictures that I've seen.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The final picture (sally_grower's) in this thread below reminds me of the plant I have because the foliage looks less mature as it gets further from the more mature section...

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/1978920/i%C2%BDtokudama-aureonebulosai%C2%BD