Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

Question For Mr. Steve S...

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

Hi, Steve...... is there a difference with what Green Mountain does, as opposed with Hallson Gardens? Hallson, if I'm not mistaken, does some field growing as well, although I've never gotten a division from HG, always uncut.

About HVX, I'm not too worried about that from either place, especially Hallson Gardens. But I certainly can see how that'd make HVX, other viruses and nematodes a lot easier to get. Do you think it is fair to say Hallson may start with clean TC's from a wholesaler, only grow their hosta for a relatively short time before selling them (2-3 seasons or so). as opposed to Green Mountain, who may have most of their stock established in the ground for a much longer length of time, and just sort of maintains their stock by dividing and dividing and dividing existing plants (hope I phrased this question OK)

I'm not challenging you, you obviously have a great knowledge of these things and know what you're talking about. That's just the scenario that popped into my head regarding differences in stock from different retailers when you posted the response to Funnthesun's NH Hostas thread. Curious minds want to know. : )

Thanks, Steve. This question was pretty lengthy, and I didn't want to inadvertantly hijack Fun's thread.

Regards,
Don B.

Comments (2)