Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esther_b

New hosta-babies arrived!!

esther_b
10 years ago

When I got home from work Friday (after herding a bunch of ill-behaved teenagers through the Bronx Zoo on a field trip), THREE boxes were waiting for me! One contained some mini-hostas from a reliable seller on eBay, one contained some mini-heuchies from In the Country and one contained 3 small hostas from Made in the Shade.

All of the mini-hostas were perfect (the eBay seller said they were from Walters Gardens), no browning from the fall yet. I was absolutely delighted to find a BONUS hosta-baby in the box from eBay---Appletini, in perfect health. So cute! So I took some pics of them with my cell phone camera:

The box with the mini-heuchies contained 3 gorgeous Lil Cuties by Terra Nova--Sugar Berry, Frost, and Peppermint. All three were perfect, from In the Country. It also contained a surprise---a gorgeous Maui Buttercups. We had exchanged emails and I told them how upset I was about my hosta garden being destroyed for absolutely no reason other than a power play. I mentioned the loss of Maui Buttercups and heuchie Ginger Snap. I guess they were trying to make it up to me in some way (boy, DID they!) by sending me this beautiful Maui Buttercups. Yippee!!

The third box from Made in the Shade with the small hostas contained the ordered hostas, no surprises there. Marilyn Monroe had no browning and was simply a beautiful plant with great roots. Grand Prize had some fall browning, but great roots. Ripple Effect was perfect and had a great root system as well.

I ran upstairs to doff my backpack and grab my trowel, and got all the new arrivals planted before the Sabbath (can't plant or water on the Sabbath) AND watered. AND collected my first compliment on the new arrivals from the downstairs next door neighbor and her fiance.

Here is the "hosta pot plot", the 16" glazed ceramic pot:

Mini-heuchie in the center is Peppermint, surrounded by Holy Mouse Ears (at 1 o'clock), Cracker Crumbs (11 o'clock), Pure Heart (at 8 o'clock), Sparkler (at 6 o'clock) and Appletini (at 4 o'clock). All the hostas have ample access to sunlight, although from the angle of the photo, it doesn't look like it. This new hosta pot plot drew a particular compliment from the downstairs next door neighbor's fiance.

All in all, a great Friday afternoon.

Comments (15)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Just like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! And silver lining to boot!
    The minis are adorable....maybe it is the angle of the shot, but it looks like mini heuchie, as it grows, might cover the mini hosta or is it too a slow grower?

You sure lucked in with beautiful looking plants at this time of year, Esther!

Enjoy..:-)

Jo

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jo, the mini-heuchie "Peppermint" is rated at 8" diameter when mature, which this specimen is. It was the smallest mature diameter of the mini-heuchies I ordered (others were rated at 9" or 10" at maturity), and that is why I used THAT one in the hosta pot plot. Besides, its color was a perfect contrast to the green/gold or green/white of the hostas in the pot.

I would hope that the hostas, planted near the edge of the pot, would grow outward as necessary. It's an experiment. If it works, great. Otherwise, I will do necessary tweaking next summer.

During the winter, I will put extra mulch on top of the cuties and wrap the entire pot well with bubble wrap, so no moisture leaks in for freeze/thaw problems.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I have several heucheras and really like them a lot...I haven't seen miniatures around here so will have to keep an eye out for them in the spring, especially Sugar Berry.

That's a good point you made about planting the hosta near the edge of the pot to encourage the hosta growing outward. I also meant to comment earlier about the colour of Peppermint echoing the pot colour. It's very pretty!

It looks like you'll be able to enjoy your new babies for a while....they look as fresh as if it were summer! :-). My BME and HME are still going strong, but CC is done for the season.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Great job, Esther. Those are very nice, healthy-looking plants. I have a few spots where mini-heuchies would fit perfectly. I'm checking those out for sure.

Thanks for sharing.

Don B.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

The Adventures of a Hosta Gardener in NYC, with a triumphant ending. No plastic windmill in sight. I love it.

Steve

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I have all the little cuties. Sugar Berry, for me, is larger than the other two but beautiful. It is second from the left in the photo. My Frost heuchera was eaten by rabbits in spring so is recovering under a cage in the picture and the two green ones are peppermint which I split and moved after I took this picture (late May). I will do the same to others next spring. If it stops raining, I'll try to take fall pictures.
    Enjoy your new plants; looks like a great pick-me-up.
    Beverly

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BEVERLY--Is the bright chartreuse one Sweet Tart? What about the red one immediately to its right (Coco?) and the little reddish one all the way to the right? Is that Blondie? If so, yours look better than the pics on the nursery's page. If they're trying to sell these, they should use YOUR pics!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Yes, the one to the right is sweet tart, then the red one is Blonde, then Gingersnap. Blonde is very red in spring. Coco is behind Sugar Berry. When I purchased the group, Gingersnap was the smallest but it has gained size. Sweet Tart had pretty flowers and was very vigorous. I bought three of those this year for my heuchera-loving sister this year as a thank you for watering plants while I was traveling. It is real a show stopper. The one heuchera to the left of Sugar Berry is a division of an old variety, silver scrolls.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

This picture shows the bright flowers of Sweet Tart. Picture taken August 12th. (my camera is out of power, when the battery is recharged I can put fall color pictures up.)

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BEVERLY--I should have bought Sweet Tart & Blondie when I had a chance to do so last week. The nursery website pics of them are UGLY and so I didn't want them. Now, of course, they're sold out til next year. I will be keeping my eye out for more Lil Cuties to see if they develop downsized versions of other favorite heuchies. I don't want full sized heuchies blocking the public view of my hostas!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

fall colors

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

"The Adventures of a Hosta Gardener in NYC"

Steve, that would be a helluva good name for a blog. : )

Don B.

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

DON B -- Oh, you mean digging up the raw turf by back-breaking hand, schlepping about 600 lbs. of topsoil in 30 lb. bags for my garden and the Neighbor's Plot, having to impress upon the 20s-something son of the Chinese Upstairs Next Door Neighbor why it's not cool to litter the sidewalk and porch with cigarette butts (maybe gathering them and putting them on his porch gave him a hint?), having to endure kitschy plastic pinwheels and 99 cent store wooden signs ("Garden!", "Spring!") put into new Neighbor's Plot garden, having a beautiful white limestone rock STOLEN from hosta tree garden, having nearly every passer-by praising the gardens, having the "landscape workers" trample fencing, plants and I.D. tags, having to cover the "dangerous" sharp edge of the Adirondack fencing with split foam tubing, having to replace the "dangerous" wrought-iron trellis for my clematis with swim noodles mounted on bamboo stakes, having my hosta garden plowed under by a vicious co-op manager for no reason, having to bump out an extension, apply topsoil and all the other goodies, plant, and water a new place for my hosta by cover of night----you mean THAT blog??

Don't have time for that blog--too busy living it!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

That's it. That's it!. The rest of us have to deal with mundane things like slugs and voles. You have to deal with angry, vengeful, stupid and disrespectful mammals on two feet. Much more interesting. I think it's a Hosta Journal article in the making.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 8:37

• esther_b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

STEVE, I think if a slug or vole dared to show up, I'd crush it with my bare hands from sheer frustration after all the garbage pitched at me by hoo-mans. I don't think my hostas suffered much from slugs this summer, I sprinkled slug-pellets around. Definitely no mouse/vole damage. Too many neighborhood stray cats for them to survive long.