Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

Gold Standard putting out green eyes

bkay2000
10 years ago

My Gold Standard is putting out green/blue eyes. Should I pull them out this year or wait until spring?

bk

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if i cut on plants this late.. they will rot .. cold rot .. during winter ...

i cant speak to your zone ...

i would leave them ...

speculating.... it doesnt seem like there is enough season left for those buds to SET new buds for next spring.. one might argue.. that they MIGHT disappear and not return next spring ...

take notes.. and document .. and lets see what happens .... stick a plastic knife in the pot where they were.. so we can look next spring ... and snap a few pix now so we can compare ....

ken

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok. Will do. It is really ugly as it's had too much sun all year.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

BKay, you are forcing me out into the garden with my camera again, to check out Gold Standard. I keep getting my 2 GS mixed up with my 2 Honeybells, for some reason. Why should that be? Anyway, I moved them far apart so mentally I could keep them unique and separate.

My GS had a rather mixed showing this year, turning a lot greener of leaf than I expected. All around them, the other fine gold and yellow leafed hosta were maintaining their coloration, so it puzzled me. Perhaps I too have some green eyes. I guess it requires another foray into the garden to see.

Unexpected allergies attack my throat when fall is so dry....and dust everywhere.

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

Gold Standard is just trying to revert to Fortunei Hyacinthina,from whence it came,originally. You could separate them in the spring,and then you would have another hosta. Phil

10 years ago

one other thought ...

SPECULATING ....

your plants were supposed to be slowing down since the sun started to decline in september .... no matter your zone ...

why is this one all zoned out on steroids... doing spring growth in fall???

MAYBE ... too much fert on this one .... ????

again ... just wondering.. why this one ...

if.. per chance it rots... that would be a second indication of too much fert in this pot ... in that it didnt harden off properly before winter [though you are so far south.. some of this may not have any application to you]

and.. this is where you tell me.. you didnt fert this pot.. lol ...

ken

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I already have two of them. As reliable as they are, I don't think I need another one.

Hopefully, It will be all yellow next spring. I won't hold my breath, though.

bk

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, no. It didn't just do this. It has been this way for a couple of months. I thought if I ignored it, it would go away, but it didn't. You'd think I would learn that doesn't work. I guess I'm a little slow sometimes.

bk

10 years ago

well .... the facts are getting in the way of a great discussion .. lol ...

remove them now ... heave isnt an issue for you.. so repotting should not hurt ...

pot those cut off and label as noted above.. hyacinthia ... or whatever whomever said .... its freaky smart ...

ken

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The thing that makes me hesitate is that my (new this year) June Fever is all green and my Orange Marmalade is pretty green and also seems to be putting out a green eye. They were in too much sun. I knew that. However, it kept them out of Cleo's line of vision.

Besides Cleo, we had a really bad spring. So, they are not as pretty as usual

bk

Orange Marmalade

Gold Standard

June Fever

10 years ago

bkay ...

who cares what they look like in november.. they are tired.. used up ...

too much sun .... NEVER ...

the wholesalers grow them in field lines miles long.. in full blistering sun .. because they want them to grow with as much vigor as possible .. as fast a possible ... and all the resultant work.. is being done underground .. leading to a larger.. and a more vigorous plant.. NEXT YEAR ..

other than ugly.. there i no downside to growing in sun ... to get a babe... presuming proper water.. into a nice large plant in the FUTURE ...

ken

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

How's Cleo doing, BKay? Has she grown out of her 'Kill Hosta' phase, or at least showing less interest in mauling potted plants?

Don B.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

She's doing great. She's really growing up. However, if I don't take her for a run every day, she tears up something. I finally bought an electric scooter and an attachment for a bicycle to get her enough exercise. So, every afternoon, I put a halter on her and hook her to the scooter and (I ride) she runs around the neighborhood.

She still dumps a hosta occasionally and chews on the pot, but she doesn't seem to bother my favorites. She got Ann Kulpa a couple of weeks ago. AK never looks good anyway, so I just picked her up and put her back in the pot.

She likes plant tags, though. I hope she doesn't steal the tags with winter, as then it's hard to get them in the right pot.

That Stained Glass is doing great. It's still small of course, but it looked great all year. It has three eyes already

Thanks for asking about Cleo.

bk