Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Two questions

zkathy z7a NC
10 years ago

Since the government shutdown has cancelled my vacation this weekend (camping in a national park) I have an unexpected gardening weekend available. I potted these two bare root hostas from Hallson's a couple of weeks ago, got the rocks in for the bed but sunk the pots in the unamended dirt figuring I didn't have time to finish this project before the vacation. Abba Dabba Do on the left and Inniswood on the right. Inniswood has moved well into dormancy since planting and ADD has not noticed that winter is coming. I think I did a good job potting these.

So here's the two questions: Should I let these go dormant as is or use my free weekend to finish this project and get them in the ground now? And if the recommendation is don't disturb them again so soon, then when would be the best time to do it? A nice day during the winter when they are sound asleep or wait until spring when they're waking up?

I don't know why the picture is upside down and none of the things I tried worked.

Comments (16)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

I would go ahead and put them in the ground. They have plenty of time to dig those roots in before time to stop planting hostas. They will be happier for it next year!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Here's your pic right side up...:-)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Oops, forgot to comment...Since you've got the time, why not plant them now and get them established....and enjoy them in the spring as they emerge. Nice surroundings! Nice hosta! :-)
    Jo

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I agree with Jo. Put them in the ground. There is nothing better, in my mind, than a nice cool fall day working in the garden. It might help you forget that the government cancelled your vacation.

Happy Planting, Beverly

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, I'll just have to call this my shutdown bed. I'll get them in the ground today.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Yeah,definitely put them in the ground. I see you are in NC zone 7. I am in Franklin in the mountains and zone 6. Phil

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

first.. i dont recognize the name.. welcome

second ... do not confuse other posts about late planting in ground freeze areas.. that aint you ..

third.. mother nature will make make success easier ... let her do it.. PLANT THEM

it would take me about 60 seconds to plant the ones in the pic ... unpot.. shake off potting media.. plant in native soil.... or AMEND THE WHOLE BED .. never just holes ...

it took you about an hour longer to post this.. than i would have spent on doing it..

i would have done it.. on my way out the door to the camping ...

do NOT over think HOSTa... just do it ..

ken

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ken-hahahahaha. Took me close to three hours, but that did include time to drink a beer. Here they are in their new home.
    Kathy

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

beer? BEER?

I thought all of that was recalled to washington because of the shutdown ... something about them needing to sample it because they wanted to make sure it was safe for the rest of us .....

Hi, I'm from the government and I am here to help.

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Zkathy, I wouldn't call it your 'Shutdown Bed', since you DID get something productive done with it. : )

Don B.

P.S. Looks really good. I like the rock-stacking. The plants will look great there.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

They look great, and will be even better next year when they fill out and echo the curves in the rock bed.

At least you accomplished something. We got one day at Acadia NP in Maine before everything closed down. I thought we'd be fine during week two in Hew Hampshire and Vermont, but some of the places we wanted to see are run by the National Forest Service. Missed the peak fall colors, too. Glad to be home with my hostas!

• User
    10 years ago

Nice! You did a lot of work to bring it from picture 1 to the final image.

I'm waiting for the first movie to come out, something like Family Vacation with Chevy Chase, thinking maybe Gummit Vacation. There are bound to be repercussions from this uncalled for fiasco. Let's hope all the fallout winds up as lovely as your hosta will be, and we all come out of it smelling like.....plantaginea in the fall. :)

• jel48
    10 years ago

So thankful we were camping in a State Park and wilderness area instead of Federal! Sorry your vacation got cancelled but your hosta bed looks really nice!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

ken-hahahahaha. Took me close to three hours

==>> superb... enjoying the process is highly recommended .. including the adult beverage ...

my point was.. dont overthink hosta ...

if that is your native soil.. i hate you ... lol ...

ken

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

First picture is native soil that had been shovel turned once. Second pic is native soil with two large bags of pine bark fines and one bag of black cow composted manure tilled in with a Mantis. Basically I've got decomposed rock with a few inches of forest debris on the top. When I was putting in my herb bed I found this area of deep rich loamy soil and I was wondering why the whole yard couldn't be like that. Then I realized I was digging up the remnants of some giant ancient tree stump. It must have been enormous! I love playing in the dirt.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

zkathy, jes howdya say that?

i'm impressed with the pic of what u did with your spare time, the new bed looks great!

hh

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz