Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
conniemayon

Pizzazz

ConnieMay ON Z6a
9 years ago

How did everyone's Pizzazz look this year. This one just seems to get better each year. It is particular about location. I have 2 and you would never guess that they were the same variety, let alone the same age. If you have tried growing it and think it's a dud - try morning sun and lots of water...at least that is what my better one is enjoying.

Here are some of my favourite pics from 2014:

Comments (15)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Leaf Closeup:

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

imagine a slice of bacon and a slab of tomato with that!

looks good enough to eat.

dave

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Your Pizzazz looks fantastic! Sorry that I don't have one!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

what the heck are you talking about bragy... lol ... and i dont mean heck ... lol

where you hungry at the time ...???

whats P have to do with a BLT????

crikey ...

not an easy one to grow ... if i werent pretty darn sure... i would suggest its is not P ... but crikey what a gem ...

i am thinking i cant recall its heritage .. aden plant??? .. lol..it is ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I had one in 2012. It grew beautifully and quickly with no burned edges. I thought I had a real gem for Texas.

It didn't come back, though.

bk

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

ConnieMay, love your Pizzaz! As well as your other beautifully grown hosta! Great pics! First reaction was like...I WANT ONE! By the way, that's generally my reaction whenever viewing ANY of your fab pictures of your mature hostas! :-)

Jo

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Connie,mine wasn't so good this year,due to the freeze,but here is a pic from a few years back. Mine grows in a half whiskey barrel. Phil

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Yours is great looking, too, Phil.

bk

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Wow, Connie, your Pizzazz is gorgeous! Have never seen one before and now it's on "the list."

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dave, hostas are friends not food (Finding Nemo anyone?).

Ken, I know that some people have had a hard time growing this one so I am terrified to move it or change anything...especially since I have experienced how boring and small an unhappy one looks in another area of the garden... and now BK has me scared that it may just decide not to pop up some spring!

Phil, yours looks happy and large in the whiskey barrel. I see that it has a few really cool downward cupping leaves - just a little different than mine but clearly Pizzazz.

Thanks everyone for looking. I'm glad that this one is making it's way onto some of your lists as it is definitely a favourite of mine.

Connie May

• hostanista
    9 years ago

I'm liking this one too ConnieMay. I counted only 8 leaves when first planted in 2013 but it has mushroomed this year. I expect great things from it in 2015! I really like the colouring too.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hostanista - that plant must love its location to be growing so fast. I wonder if your mulch is the clue...most of my best growing/looking hostas are under a pine tree, including Pizzazz.

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Your pictures give me hope. I planted a bare root Pizzazz this spring, and it looked terrible. Long skinny leaves with a narrow white edge, and not many of them. Maybe better things are coming. I'd love to have something that looks like Conniemay's, with or without bacon.

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

there you go â¦. mushroomed ⦠pizza then ...

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Connie, on the positive side, one of the "knowing" guys said mine wasn't a Pizzazz. I couldn't see the difference, but they apparently could.

bk