Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

A pic,looking back down to the bottom of the garden.

hosta_freak
10 years ago

Here is a pic from the top of the new garden,looking back down the hill. Dress Blues,in the foreground. Phil

Comments (25)

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Great picture, looks like a beautiful walk. Can we see a pic looking up the hill?
    Kathy

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Phil, that is so beautiful! You watch your step on that hill...I remember you saying awhile back how steep that is and slippery.

Dress Blues is gorgeous and Is that Empress Wu in the centre or? Could you list the hosta in that bed please? I would really like to know what else you have there....so lovely.

Thank you, Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Beautiful view of your property, Phil. Thanks for the picture.

Hey, there's that 'Dress Blues' that made me buy mine! : )

Don B.

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Very nice. Are those round pieces of flagstone that form the steps? Love the trails...

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,Jo,the large green right behind Dress Blues is Elatior,and right behind that is Yellow River,then,to the right is Final Summation,with a Gold Standard beside it. Farther down,or up in the pic is American Halo peeking out.
    There are a lot of hostas in this little bed,with two Stripteases,and a Kiwi Full Monty,three Brim Cups,a Rich Uncle, a couple of Cinnamon Stick seedlings, Barbara Ann,and a partridge in a pear tree, tra la la!! Is that enough info? Don R., those are stepping stones made of concrete,but look like stone going downhill. Thanks for lookin' everyone! Phil

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

Phil

I always enjoy the shots of yor piece of paradise, tanks 4 taking the time snd effort to share.

Makes me think of one of my fave vistas in this country, 'fancy gap'.

happy trails,

hh

10 years ago

Many thanks,Phil! I appreciate it....I didn't want to trouble you but was hosta curious....lol....I finally figured out what was different about that bed....most of the hosta that I can see in the picture appear to be upright growers....the leaves are slightly cupped or flat/horizontal like Elatior.....even tho Dress Blues is a mound the leaves grow up and out...the angle you shot the picture at has a lot to do with it, but the effect is quite beautiful, as is your choice of colour placement.

I have to hone up on proper hosta terms to better describe what I try to say.
    Stunning, enough said!

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Nice picture Phil. I keep thinking about how much work that must have been. I guess I'm almost as tired as my garden is this fall.

Beverly

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I love seeing pics of your gardens, Phil! Love the stepping stones, too. I need to do something like that on our hill! Thanks for sharing.

• User
    10 years ago

Oh boy, and such a sweet walking bridge. Your property has so many great features....and you can have a lot of variety in views. All of those hosta look fantastic too. They must have sturdy root systems to hang on to the side of the hill like that. No problem with drainage, hah.

And thanks for the alternate view for us flatlanders.

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For Jo;Looking up the hill from the bottom,showing the plants in this section of the garden. Phil

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Bump up,for Jo!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Simply beautiful Phil.

Who is the big boy on the left?

10 years ago

Awwww, you are gold, Phil!!! Wow!

ZKathy, here's what you wanted to see too. :-)

Man, that is some beautiful! I really, really, really, really, really love that winding staircase showcasing your garden. .....I picture myself stopping at every step to admire ... aaaahhhhh, Zen! With St. Francis looking over your garden how can you have anything less than paradise?

THANK YOU, Phil!

P. S. If you happen to get bored at any time over the winter, I/we would love to see more of the same. I am very interested in your story....about how that garden came to be, how established it is, etc, etc, etc.....when you feel inclined.....I am so glad the pic of you and Ken got posted awhile back. Now I can picture your smiling face when I view your gardens. :-)
    Jo

10 years ago

I think I get it! I just kept looking at this uphill view and noticed that almost all leaves are uplifted, as in....sunlight streaming in from above among a dappled atmosphere....the leaves are reaching for the sun! I copied the pics to admire and for inspiration :-).

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Thats a really beautiful garden!

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Thanks, Phil, for sharing! Love looking at other's gardens, in person or through pics, it's great for inspiration!

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Thanks.Jo! Harry,the big blue in the pic was bought as Blue Boy,but,as the years went by.I realize it may be just another Elegans,but it gets huge in that location.
    Jo,I started this part of the garden in 2006,when the power company cut down a lot of trees near their power lines. This used to be a jungle of vines when I started,and little by little,I added plants on this hillside. I put in the steps because it was hard climbing up there all the time. I just cut notches in the hillside,and put in stepping stones into those notches. This year,I had to reinforce them by drilling holes in the back of the stones,as they were getting a little loose,and I drove re-bar into the holes into the ground. I have shown many pics of the area,but I'll have to look in my files for some more. Phil

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

Phil , you have a very beautiful garden . I cheated and clicked on your picture and saw the whole gardens and the cat. on Photobucket . Some of live on a hill but we have to create a hill for a garden feature.
    Faye

10 years ago

Phil, I followed Faye's lead and helped myself to a tour of your hosta heaven! My, but your gardens are breathtaking. I can see the work that went into what you described originally as a jungle of vines...nothing this gorgeous comes without back breaking work...especially working with slopes as you did.

Your hosta are beautiful, unblemished and displayed wonderfully - seeing mature sizes is such a bonus for me and you have many, many of them.

Your gardens must bring you much pleasure - thank you for sharing your pictures on Photobucket. :-). Please know I got inspired ... And thoroughly enjoyed the tour!

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL Phil, after what Faye copped to, I also confess I am 'lurking' around your pics on Photobucket, checking out all this wild-grown beauty. It's magnificent!

I think it looks great great great, and you still have a great amount of room, too!

Congratulations on a first-class natural habitat!

Regards,

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 23:36

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

Yep me too Phil sorry, couldn't resist, so beautiful, I so want that, sigh, lol.

Denis

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Gee,I'm so glad I didn't put anything else into my Photobucket pics! Lol! Glad you liked them. I do have a lot more room in my woods,but most it is downhill,and too steep to plant,but I always find a place,or two to tuck in some more plants. Phil

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Phil, thanks for showing your garden. You got really nice hostas!! I also could not resist going through all your pictures. No problem, that were pictures only out of your garden. The vertical dimension of your garden is so appealing. What a difference it is between a spring garden and the appearance of my October garden right now. Bernd

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

As Much as I appreciate all your kind comments there are lots of better gardens out there,than mine. All I did was plant a few hostas in the woods,which anybody could have done. Thank you,and good morning. Phil,on a hillside in NC.