Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilfarmgirl

Hosta Seeds

LilFarmGirl
9 years ago

I think I asked this question before but I was wondering what type of hosta makes seeds? I live in SC in z8. Everyone I see that has hostas have flowers on their hostas but no seed pods form. Is this the wrong zone? I have a few variety of hostas but they were not big enough to produce flowers this year but the ones that I bought that have flowers did not produce any seed pods. What do I need to do or what kind of hosta do I need to get?

Comments (16)

• Steve Massachusetts
    9 years ago

Most of them make seeds. Some like Krossa Regal and its sports are sterile. Some are picky about which pollen they will accept. Sometimes the bees aren't as successful in pollinating as they should be so you have to help them. Zone won't matter. Just take some pollen from one flower and dab it on the pistil of another flower. You may get a seed pod that way. Which Hostas are you talking about? Lancifolia and Undulata are sterile.

Steve

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

I know from a previous post that you are new to gardening so your goal is probably not hybridizing. Your Hostas were just planted so their energy is going into producing roots not flowers/seeds. Next year depending on the Hostas you purchased you may get viable seeds. Like Steve said, let us know what you have.

This post was edited by Peren.all on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:30

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

LFG, Many of my hosta don't produce seeds. Also, they don't make any seeds after about July 4. Moccasin's hosta do produce seed after that, but she is in a more humid environment that I am. (That is the only variable I can see.) So, I think humidity is a one of the variables. Another is the age of the plant. When they are more mature, they will produce seed.

Hosta that make seeds for me include Elegans, Big Daddy, Blue Cadet, Blue Mouse Ears, Olive Bailey Langdon and Crusader. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them right now. Elegans is famous for producing lots of viable seed.

bk

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

We have lower humidity and mine make seed pods if I don't get around to removing the flowers. Bkay- it probably gets too hot for the bees in your neck of the woods...I know I wouldn't want to be out there dabbing pollen in 100+degree temps either.

-Babka

9 years ago

bk - Very interesting ("So, I think humidity is a one of the variables.") I never made the correlation for timing of seed pods with humidity. I know I get pod formation after July here in my very humid area. Next year I will really pay attention!

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have no idea what at the names of my hosta are. I received divisions from my grand aunt who says she can't take care of them any more. I will have to visit her again. I have some pictures of the little ones before I planted them and next year I will get better pictures when they grow so that i can get names for them. Here is the picture I sent in another post. Maybe they can be identified. I have to send them one at a time.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

pic 2

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

They are small but I guess they will be identifiable when they are bigger.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Well, I think that Mobile is as hot or hotter than we are.* Mocc's fragrants set seed. Mine don't. Humidity is the only variable I can see.

*I attempted to do a cursory comparison of summer temps, but could not find good data that could be directly compared, easily.

bk

• mrhosta
    9 years ago

If a plant is in too much shade it will not flower also.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Is there a source to find out which hostas produce viable seeds?

9 years ago

Hi Sunnywood The Hostapedia or Field Guide to Hostas are probably your best bet, both are by Mark Zilis. If you want to know about a specific hosta I am sure many of us could help with that.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

This is not exactly what you're asking for, but this is the reverse of that. This is a list of sterile or nearly sterile hosta. Also, he has a list of hosta that don't flower.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Don R's list of sterile/nearly sterile hosta

9 years ago

LilFarmGirl Hope this pic will help clarify your OP. If you look dead center of Hosta "Love Pat" you will see the seed pods that have formed and the spent flowers that are dangling from them. Unless we are collecting seed we would general cut the scapes (flower stalks) at this point.

• LilFarmGirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am so jealous!!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!
    A reminder, the Hosta Seed Auction at the Hosta Library starts tomorrow, Friday.
    Happy bidding!

Trudy wrote : Dates are Friday, November 28 thru Saturday, December 6th. The Auction will be held on the Hosta Library site, under Hosta Seed.

Bernd

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living