Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squirejohn

NOID Any ideas?

I took this photo last July at a local nursery and lost my notes as to ID. Any ideas?

Comments (16)

• donrawson
    10 years ago

My first thought is Potomac Glory. Was it raining when you took this pic, or was it naturally that shiny?

• User
    10 years ago

John, was this a plant for sale, or was it a mature hosta planted in their gardens for display? It sure is pretty, and reminds me of the two hosta I show in the picture below, taken in August 2013.

Of the two, the color is reminiscent more of Avocado (left) instead of Emerald Charger (right), which has a yellowish mid-leaf.

The shiny leaf speaks of plantaginea heritage to me, what little I know. And the leaf is nearly PLEATED at the veins. It is also a longer leaf than my pictured hosta, but that leaf shape you see is possible in the fragrant family. Although, the flower scape has smallish white flowers poking out to the left, and a fairly tall scape of small diameter rising above the hosta.

It is surely unique and would be distinctive, and I'd like to know what other suggestions folks might have. Hope I do not bump you too far off the top of the posting list.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don_r It's naturally shiny and it doesn't appear to be Potomac Glory.
    I did take a photo of Potomac Glory at another nursery that same day (photo below).
    Last year this very same PG exhibited more distinct two-tone coloration as shown in Bob Solberg's photo in the HL and as a result I bought one from Land of the Giants.in July 2012. It 's also the same color as the one below.

moc - The photo was taken in the display garden and I'm not sure they offered it for sale.
    Potomac Glory

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

lily pad?

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• donrawson
    10 years ago

I see that the hosta in your pic is blooming. Do you know when your pic was taken? Potomac Glory blooms in July.

If it was blooming in mid-August or September, then it could be Avocado, Holy Mole, Hot Green Chiles, or Jade Stone. Some of these are nearly impossible to tell apart.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Those do not appear to me to be fragrant flowers to my eye. I was thinking it was something with longipes in its background. Maybe Maruba Iwa or one of its seedlings.

Can you tell us what the back of the leaf looks like and if there is any red/purple in the pets?

Steve

• evermore_gw z 4/5 NB
    10 years ago

Spinach Patch? The white flowers seem to fit.

Steve

• User
    10 years ago

Don, I know that the Jade Stone flowers are almost 6 inches long, and the scape has leaves beneath the lower blossoms....sort of like they are there to hold up those really creamy thick-petaled blossoms. Plus, the scape on Jade Stone is really thick in diameter. My version of Jade Stone has a lot of pale green mid leaf.

Sure enough, it is blooming in mid-July, pure white huge.
    {{gwi:916357}}

Steve, you are right about the smaller flowers not being typical of the ones suggested among the fragrants. Although there are some fairly small lavender tinged and whites too I guess. Some of my garden I don't rightly know what color flowers, since not all have bloomed among my late arrivals.

Hosta sleuthing is a fun pastime. I'll be glad if I ever learn to plot all the variables like experienced folk can. Like playing Clue.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

clue .... hmmm

in the garden .... with a hose [rope] ...

ÃÂ.ÃÂ --~

dave

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don_r, Moc The photo was taken July 20 so I guess that excludes Holy Mole, Avocado etc.

Steve - I don't know the petiole color. It's probably a fairly common cultivar; one that I've probably heard the name of. I never heard of Maruba Iwa and Spinach Patch and Lily Pad don't "ring a bell".

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

whats the correct name for emerald island???

ken

• donrawson
    10 years ago

Squirejohn, the hosta you're trying to identify (in the top pic) is variegated (gold center/ green margin). That would rule out Maruba Iwa, Spinach Patch, and Lily Pad which are not variegated hostas.

The photo you posted of Potomac Glory does not appear to show a variegated hosta. Potomac Glory is a variegated hosta (although the color differences are somewhat subtle). That would indicate the hosta you took a pic of is not Potomac Glory. Perhaps it is a Potomac Glory that reverted to Potomac Pride? Or am I missing the variegation distinction in this pic?

Ken, the hosta originally called Emerald Island was renamed Emerald Ruff Cut (Anderson 2003). The leaves on Emerald Ruff Cut have a piecrust edge, which would rule this one out.

• brpbsp
    10 years ago

Could it be Emerald Necklace? There is a nice picture @ MIS and also several @ H/Library showing color changes.
    Ken, is the answer to your question Emerald Ruff Cut? brp

Here is a link that might be useful: Made In The Shade Gardens

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Emerald Necklace would fit since it's a tardiflora sport that flowers in July.

Steve

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

Why not ask someone at the nursery where you saw it to identify it?

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    Original Author
    10 years ago

don_r, The variegation shown in the Potomac Glory photo that was taken in 2013 is so subtle that I had to ask the owner to find it for me. I remember it being a real standout when I visited the nursery in 2012. Why? I haven't a clue.
    The photo below is of the Potomac Glory I got from LotG last year which shows a little more variegation.
    Potomac Glory

ninamarie, The nursery is closed for the season so I'll have to wait until next summer.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor