Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
allnitro

Hosta Seed Growers 2014 Seed Auction

allnitro
9 years ago

The HSGs seed auction is up and running right now, Reldon has 62 donations listed so far and more will be added. He is using the Hosta Library Auction site under Hosta Seed. The ones that start with HSG are the donation listings. I have a link posted here under the photo.

Lot's of quality choices for beginning to advanced seedgrowers, so check them out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library Auction- Hosta Seed

Comments (14)

• LilFarmGirl
    9 years ago

I am in and watching as we speak. How do I bid? Which Hosta seeds produce streaked hostas? This is what I am looking for. Help.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

LilFarmGirl, Streaked hostas produce more streaked seedlings than the others, which will rarely give a streaked seedling. So look for seed from a streaker.

Happy Seed shopping,
    Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: register here

• allnitro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

If you haven't regestered yourself yet, you will need to click on [new registration] and fill it out.......have fun!

• allnitro
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's up to 99 items now......more still to be added

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I already bid on several of these seeds. That's a nice selection again this year. I have now 5 sets of own seeds germinating, could use those seeds from the auction.

The real heated bidding will be on the last day of the Auction. Sorry that the Auction will go again up to midnight next Saturday, a little late for me.
    Bernd

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

farm girl ...

use the library.. on the first name...

and try to get seeds from a streaked momma ...

e.g. something from dorthy benedict [DB x OP --- which means someone is offering seeds off of DB ... that was pollinated by the bees]... rather than princess wu ...

whoever buys wu... is looking for a ginormous green plant ...

ken

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

farm girl, I assume you know about the hosta library. I was looking at seeds at JIm's website a while back and looked up the momma in the library. Most all of his seeds were from streakers. You can look there in case you don't know if it's a streaker.

In case you aren't familiar, the address is below.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta library

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

farm girl already bid on seeds in the Hosta Library Auction, just saw it. The description of the seeds in the Auction show picture of the hosta they came from, and there is a link on each page to the Hosta Library to click on for more info.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Thanks Bernd. I don't grow seeds, although the idea interests me. If I had a basement, maybe I would. We don't have basements in Texas, though.

bk

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

bk, you don't need a basement, only need a shelf with a seed tray with clear dome (or a plastic bag around it) on it, cells (from last year's annuals) or cleaned yogurt cups, fluorescent light above it, or place it in a window, seed starting mix and seeds. Then you can watch little hostas grow all winter.
    But then your winter is very short anyway. Here in the North we have snow now, we will have 4 months snow on the ground.
    Bernd

• LilFarmGirl
    9 years ago

Bk I am so new to this I got some seeds from a nice lady on this site (Joan), ebay and my new H. Frances Williams. I havent planted them all yet. I have viewed the old post from bernd, ken and others in this forum about Hostas and seed planting and I think I am going to be overwhelmed. Luckily I am going to get two t8 grow light fixtures and my cousin has built me a shelf from pallets to put them on. I love doing this. My first set of seeds from ebay didn't do anything so I set them outside. Now I have two grocery store plastic food containers with about 11 seedlings in them. Not nearly enough for what I want in my back yard (and give to my sisters) but they are coming along. This is just so much fun to watch them grow. Cant wait to show pictures of my back yard in the next year or two.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Ha, I sometimes fantasize that a neighbor finds the lights on for 24 hours in my basement all winter suspicious and calls the cops, who then do not know the difference between canabis and hostas, take all my seedlings away, etc.

• Terri9094
    9 years ago

lol--my daughter's room is in the basement. She says the neighbors are going to think the same of me! But, she likes the light it gives on the stairway, so she doesn't have to turn on the light.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

LOL, Bernd! ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ