Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostamanphil

2014 Hosta of the Year Abiqua Drinking Gourd

hostamanphil
11 years ago

The last hosta of the year entry. Thanks to everyone who posted pics and for the nice comments. ADG sets the standard for cupping along with it's blue green corrugated leaves. Last one so let's see all your pics. Phil

Comments (10)

• Gesila
    11 years ago

3rd Year hosta:

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

I am surprised that the 2014 HOTY is already chosen.

One year old; from my minor contribution to hh's leaf thread. I look forward to seeing it reach its potential in a few years.

Jon

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Beautiful. I didn't know this was the one for 2014. How far ahead do they pick anyway? Mine is from 2007. It's been slow as compared to Love Pat but I do love the color.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

The American Hosta Growers Assoc needs to be a couple years ahead in their selections so that they can make sure that the HOTY will be widely available for about $15.

-Babka

• hostanista
    11 years ago

Not 100% certain and need a little help from the pros to determine if this is, in fact, Abiqua Drinking Gourd. It was never labelled. What do you think, Experts?

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

ADG is one of my favorites. Here's a pic of mine from 2011. It was planted in 2007 and I moved the hostas around it this Fall to give it a bit more room.

Dan

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Finally, one I have a picture of! I'll have to get out and take more pictures next year, never have anything to contribute. This ABG has been planted quite a while and is fully mature. It should probably be moved; it's under an ash tree, and the leaves are always full of twigs and ash seeds. ABG is a lovely hosta, but it does collect dirt and gunk.

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Babka takes photos about the first of May every year. That way, she had a yearly progression as they mature. I followed her example this year and had plenty of photos to post. May is when they look their best, so the photos are pretty good. Previously, I only seemed to take photos when I had a problem. So, now I have some nice photos.

bkay

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    11 years ago

Ah - GREAT idea. I just got a 2013 calendar, will put a "take hosta photos" note on May 1. I do photograph the garden, but usually shots of the beds, not individual hostas.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

I cannot take credit for taking individual hosta photos at the same time every year. Hank Zumach did it (he took his in June when they were at their peak in his neck of the woods) years ago and that is what inspired me, and Papou, and many others. It doesn't always happen here in California that first week in May, but I aim for just taking photos one day during that month. I don't necessarily go for "beauty shots", just have the featured hosta in the center of the photo to document them. If one looks spectacular (to me) during the year I take a "beauty shot" then.

MadPlanter1- Your fully leafed out first flush is probably later...like June?????

-Babka