Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

June in November

robo (z6a)
9 years ago

I've been ignoring my garden and this forum this fall but couldn't resist snapping a photo on my way out the door. Most of my hostas have melted but I think June's looking nice with my dancing peacock Japanese maple this morning! I think that's Kiwi Full Monty peeking out in behind.

Comments (23)

• tnjdm
    9 years ago

That is a really nice pic

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

You have a beautiful Japanese Maple. I love the coloring. The Hakone grass compliments the Japanese Maple. It's one of my favorite companion plants. June is looking lovely. That's one great picture!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Ditto that! So nice.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all!

I really like the Dancing Peacock JM (acontinifolium I think). It's green with ferny leaves and always has spectacular fall foliage. Looks nice in the spring with red twigs. Seems very hardy and has been growing very well for me in a semi-southerly part shade location. It's fairly exposed. I don't wrap it in the winter. I'd say we had a Z5 winter last year and it didn't phase it at all.

I agree about the Hakone grass -- it is hands down my FAVORITE hosta companion! I have three kinds -- aurea, nicolas and beni kaze. I tried a white striped variety called "blizzard" and it melted away unfortunately -- too bad since it was pricey!

9 years ago

Your Dancing Peacock JM sounds like a real winner.

What is the difference between the three grasses that you have? I have Hakonechloa macra 'Aureola' and am thinking about adding a different variety since I love it so much. Which would you suggest---nicolas or beni kaze?

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Both look similar. Beni Kaze is bigger (30 in Nicolas is more like 20), faster growing. In my sun conditions I find Nicolas can get red tips earlier on, even in July. For me Beni Kaze stays pure green until it is ready to turn.

Actually, I have all three in this picture! (which i didn't notice until now)

Beni Kaze is fading a bit over to the left (purple circle) and Nicolas is in back almost totally red now (blue circle). My Beni Kaze is about 36" diameter.

The other two are Aureola and could easily be around 36". Nicolas is about half that size. All are AROUND the same age (around four years) so you can easily compare size, mind you the Nicolas gets less sun so it's not a fair comparison (but even the leaves are a little smaller).

This post was edited by robotropolis on Sun, Nov 9, 14 at 17:30

9 years ago

Thanks for the info robotropolis and pointing out the grasses in the picture! It is hard to choose between the two of them. I do like the thought of Nicolas turning red in the fall. I think that would be very pretty. It's a good thing I have the whole winter to think about it!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    9 years ago

Halifax, Nov. 9th? - can't believe that your plants are looking so good right now...Didn't you have some bad weather yet?
    Your hostas are so 'clean', maple in beautiful fall color. Love the grass (I have them all too, wish my aureola was half-size of yours...)
    Beautiful.
    Rina

• User
    9 years ago

Love the look of your two hosta with the JM in full fall color. The best of both worlds.

I have 3 JM, one is the coral bark one, cannot recall its real name now. And then one that is short fat and wide, and then just a regular one which is about 15 feet tall now. The coral bark is turning color, the other two are still green. We've had some coolish nights, but nothing to bring out the colors. All 3 are fairly young and small.

Love your photo.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi rina! No snow yet, but some light frosts I think. Most of my hostas are gone but the waxiest ones like June seem to be holding up!

I found with the grasses they took a couple of years and then seemed to really explode years 3 and 4. Hope the same happens for you :) They benefit from the occasional trickle water I give the bed too I'm sure.

Thanks Mocc! I love all JMs. I have two so far (an inaba shidare in the back, only 2 years in my garden) but have plans for more...many more.

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just wanted to add--I remembered that I also have H. Macra All Gold which is a also peeking out in the back there. It's a nice lemon lime color in shade, maybe a little more tender than the others (seems to have a thinner leaf texture). I currently have it paired with H. Sun Power but think it would look much nicer with solid blues.

This post was edited by robotropolis on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 23:25

9 years ago

I think I see the H. macra 'All Gold' peeking out from behind. I had it in my hand at a nursery this summer, but then changed my mind. I wasn't sure if it was going to look all that different from H. macra 'Aureola' which I have. I am still thinking that the fall color of 'Nicolas' sounds attractive. Thanks for the comment on 'All Gold' and pointing it out in the picture.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Beautiful plants are shown!
    But here is h. 'June' on November 13.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Robo...that picture is truly stunning. The golds in the area really make the Japanese Maple stand out and vice versa - the textures are beautiful together. Beautiful! Go, June, go!

Bernd...your June is simply gorgeous- I kept staring at all the variations on the leaves!

I just looked at my Junes outside...all gone. Sooo eager for spring's promise!

Jo

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    9 years ago

It isn't often I get to show pictures on this forum. While a very young plant here it is shrugging off the weather.

June in all her glory!!!

SCG

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes June is the worse for wear today and we're supposed to get 5-10cm snow tomorrow I hear...so just caught the last of her.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    9 years ago

Robotropolis,
    That's a great picture. Your maple and companions are breathtaking.

My hosta are spent now. Last man standing in this zone 6 garden was a family affair: June, Touch of Class and Halcyon. Freezing temps and snow have put them all to sleep. Even my red maple is bare.

I have two types of Japanese Forrest Grass or Hakone Grass. I started with Albo Striata and loved it enough to follow up with Aureola. The first is green with a white pinstripe while Aureola is pale gold in color. They both grow great here in partial shade conditions. I agree that these short grasses are a great host companion.

• User
    9 years ago

I finally got June uploaded to Flickr. Here it is yesterday with Teatime and English Sunrise, the three hosta I call my "Three Graces"

When Josephine67 suggested I choose English Sunrise as the third Grace, it was an inspired suggestion. The three, being related, have the same characteristics, just look how nicely they hold up to the long growing season. Late March to mid November? Strong!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Nice, Robo. My plants have been dormant for weeks. Of course, June, Halcyon, First Frost and El Nino were the last to go down (along with Satisfaction).

Don B.

• santamiller
    9 years ago

June is on the top of my want-list for next spring. It seems like pretty much the perfect all around hosta.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Santa, no garden is complete without a 'JUNE' and you will join the rest of us JUNE-lovers in lauding her praises, time and time again. A beautiful sight emerging, glorious unfurling, then stunning colour regardless of sun or shade.

Good to see you on the board again.

Jo

• santamiller
    9 years ago

Good to be back! I was out of town twice in the last three weeks and went 12 days with my computer down.

• Linda's Garden z6 Utah
    9 years ago

I have been on the forum for a bit, so I have been busy reading some older posts and just came across this one.

Your Dancing Peacock is so beautiful! And the companion plants are perfect. I just planted this tree last year and now I know what I need plant under it. Great picture and great plants!

Thanks for giving me some great ideas!
    Linda