Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yay, snow!

Posted by Hostanista 6A (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 12 at 9:27

One month till Christams Eve and hostas get their first blanket layer today!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yay, snow!

Photobucket

Oh, okay, this was a couple of years ago.
Photobucket
Jon

o

Nice pics Jon! I've got one of those too (from a couple of years ago....) But that's cheating. Only 2012-2013 snow counts!

o

No snow here yet, it was into 52 today and sunny. Usually we have 1 ft of snow for 3 1/2 months, hope it will be little this winter as last.
Bernd

o

No show here. The drought continues. Normal precipitation for the month of November is something like 3.6". Our month to date total this November is 0.31". With 5 days to go it doesn't look like we will make it, does it!

In the past 12 days we have had one recordable rain that measured only 0.06". That would hardly cover the bottom of the cup on my weather station. I have a good one, as home stations normally go, that is auto-draining and resets itself once the data is on record. I don't even know if it is working. Any retained water would havw evaporated between rain events this year.

Snow would have to be done the old way - with a tape measure. You find 10 spots that don't appear to be drifted or wind swept, measure each and 'total/10=snowfall'. Tape measures can't measure 1 snowflake. I think the accurate weather stations melt the snow, measure the water and then multiply by the "k" factor of norm inches of snow/ inch of water.

Do we have any meteorologists lurking here on GW HF?

Les

o

Rainfall here in MA has been well above normal. Reservoirs, ponds, lakes and streams are full to overflowing. Strangely the two largest water reservoirs in the state (Quabbin and New Bedford, Taunton reservoirs in Lakeville) the while listed as 88.4 and 88.8 percent full (above normal being anything from 76 to 90 percent full) show up as 'normal' (25 percent to 75 percent full) or disappear in the USGA data. If Winter follows this pattern we will be up to our chins in snow until April.

Hopefully the precipitation will be spread around a little more equitably next year and I hope against hope that weather will return to being reported factually as a science.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: MA reservoir reports

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here