Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mosswitch

Warmer than average winter?

mosswitch
11 years ago

That's what's predicted for our area this year. Not a lot of moisture in the form of rain or snow. I'm watching the long range forecasts and weather patterns but this may be the first year in many that I will not order any new hostas. I have enough to water already without planting more to baby and worry about.

Besides I still have a couple of flats of seedlings that aren't in the ground yet. And I did plant a slew of new hostas this fall already.

Sandy

Comments (11)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

The snowpack in Siberia is very deep right now, which usually means a colder than normal winter.That doesn't necessarily mean more snow, but it could.The long term forecast based on this fact has been highly accurate over the past few years.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Siberian snowfall and US weather

This post was edited by steve_mass on Thu, Nov 29, 12 at 13:45

• Babka NorCal 9b
    11 years ago

Mosswitch- Yeah, that is what I say around this time every year too. ;-)

Steve- I see you were able to edit your post. How cool is that?

-Babka

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Here in northern Virginia, we have been told to expect high amounts of snow this year. I teach. I am doing my happy (snow) dance!

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We have been in the high 60's and 70's here with a high pressure stuck over us. Same as this summer. And more of the same predicted for a while. A mild December is predicted. Maybe a cold snap towards the first of 2013. The La Nina/La Nino weather pattern is in a neutral phase, which probably means little moisture and warmer than normal temperatures here in the Ozark region.

Of course, it could change. I'm hoping for lots of snow. We are still under drought conditions here.

Sandy

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Here in NY state, zone 5, I waited with my grandson for the school bus this morning, it was in the mid twenties and all kids were shivering. But starting Sunday temperatures will rise to 55 degrees. Probably we again will not see a week of -20 this winter as we had it in the 1970s.
    Though my streaker hosta seeds are germinating at 76 degrees in the basement, no leaves yet. It is good to garden in winter!
    Bernd

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

We atre supposed to have a cold winter this year,but it's been fairly nice so far,but this isn't winter,yet! Nights have been below freezing lately,with warm-ups later,and this weekend is supposed to be warm,also,but it still isn't winter. I hope it is cold this winter to cut down on the number of insects for next year. I sure don't want such a warm spring and later cold snap we had this year! Phil

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

We've been mild and dry so far. Some of my hosta still have green leaves.

bkay

• gardenfanatic2003
    11 years ago

Right there with you Sandy... This is how last winter started out and we ended up with a warmer than normal winter with a whopping total of 4 inches of snow for the entire winter.

Not that I like cold temps, but I'd prefer we have a normal winter. Warmer temps result in drier soil, and if we hardly get any moisture like last year, our drought status will continue in the exceptional drought category. I hate to think of what summer will bring.

Not to mention, a warm winter means bugs galore.

Deanna

• mosswitch
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rain, rain, we're getting a December thunderstorm! Love it, love it! It was in the 70's here in SW Mo today, windy and warm. I really don't mind the warm weather, if it will just rain once in a while.
    Or snow.

Sandy

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Sandy-We set a new record high temperature yesterday at 71F beating the old record by 1 degree. Nov. total rain was 0.8" and Dec. is 0.01". You aren't alone dear!
    Theresa

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I liked it that I did not need to do any oil change, greasing, etc. on my snow blower for this winter, we had little use of it last winter. Who needs 5 ft snow banks on the drive way, I hope for a mild winter! We have rain today at 56 degrees, hosta seedlings show first leaves, and goldfish are in their 55 gal tank, also in the basement.
    Bernd