Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idighosta

Hosta in WI

idighosta
9 years ago

Can you see the hosta in my yard this Sunday morning? Me neither. Going to be a long winter.

Comments (10)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

The snow makes a beautiful view. But I'm not much for winter either. Thanks for sharing.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

It's a beautiful day in DE weather wise - not looking forward to WI like weather.

DD

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

I can only see where hostas USED to be,here. Not looking forward to winter,either! Phil

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I just was yesterday in Minneapolis - St. Paul, it was a nice day and no snow then, but snow tonight.

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Br-r-r-rr. Sorry, idighosta. Hopefully your Hostas will put on an extra grand show next year to make up for the long winter without them.

• User
    9 years ago

Good luck, you guys up north. I don't anticipate any icy snow sleety rain this winter, although we had it last winter. Just enough to keep my hosta dormant is all I could hope for. I haven't done much in the garden lately, since I'm ripping up baseboards and packing up boxes as the remodel proceeds. Our weather is dry now, good for contractors, but I've had to water the hostas. Some are in good color for the fall, I hope not to miss taking photos of that.

Everybody keep warm.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

And although your photo is lovely and serene, I lived with that for over 30 years and now I'll deal with the occasional frost during the winter season here in CA. Snowfall in SF area happens about every 30 years or so. As I recall (growing up in the Chicago burbs) those beautiful days rarely happened and we had cold miserable gray days for most of the winter. I prefer to drive to snow country several hours away rather than have it come to me.

However, you get to direct your attentions elsewhere, while those of us in the warmer winter zones have to keep watering and watching hostas go to sleep all too slowly.

Trade-offs.

-Babka

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

I feel bad for all your snowy cold winter weather. Here where Myrle( McTavish) and myself live we haven't had any frost yet but lots of overcast rainy weather almost as bad as the west coast. It does brighten up for me to collect another 8 loads of leaves every three or four days off the lawn( I leave them on my flower beds) We had a major wind today and it looks like I have never even attempted to remove any. They are almost all down now but all the cherry, apple tree leaves and weeping willow are still green yet. Some hosta are still in not too bad condition but most have turned to mush. Hopefully they don't get too much water and drown the roots before we get frost. Only 4 months and spring will arrive and we can start fresh.
    Stay warm, dream of spring and enjoy all the pictures we have taken over the summer and counting the days for spring everyone.
    Faye

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It was 79F today. That cold front from the arctic should be here Wednesday night. It's supposed to be 29F then. My hosta look terrible. (I have to be honest. I've been neglectful of watering the last 6 weeks.) I'll water tomorrow morning, so that the roots won't get below 32F.

We still have leaves on the trees. The red oaks have just started to turn. I heard a radio announcer say today that his parents visited this weekend. He told them, "Welcome to our two weeks of fall". That's about what we get. We go almost straight from summer to winter. No pretty white stuff, though.

bk

• ladyblue62_gw
    9 years ago

I dread it and it's coming our way! Hurry spring!