if there is.. i should have looked .. lol

if there isnt..

what is GW thinking... lol ...

mmmmmm ... bacon ....

ken

Comments (64)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Whoa! I'm all over that bacon and apple pie thing! The pie being warmed up a tad...with chunks of cold, crispy pre-cooked bacon.... that could be dessert tonight!

Crazy trip down memory lane, Ken! Too funny!

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

How could anyone get by on only 18 lbs of bacon per year? Especially when chocolate covered is tossed in?

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

The sausage link comments are so funny and clever!! Enjoyed the read Ken. I serve you up some Guacamole and Bacon and you have the nerve to complain because it wasn't Bacon with Guacamole...I hope you mom brings you over some nice hot canned asparagus for Thanksgiving.

DD

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

That bacon and apple pie sounds really nice. It's one of those ideas that makes you go, "Why didn't I think of that"? It's a little like chipotle chocolate cake. It sounds weird, but it's really good.

And to think, I settled for Dutch Apple Pie for tomorrow.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

i still dont .. and never did like sweet potatoes ... i am wondering if i blanked out on some childhood canned SP nightmare ...

i would ask mom.. but most likely.. she will be waiving one at me at dinner tomorrow .... lol ...

of course... i dont recall trying such with bacon ...

i am a purist.. potato is simply a conduit for butter... lots of it ...

or for gravy ...

even better if its a forkful of P and roasted meat, smothered in gravy ...

whats this sweet idea ....

wonder if bro is covering the turkey in bacon????

it wouldnt surprise me.. if he did work some kielbasa or sausage into the stuffing... he's like that ... not everyone likes his inspired moments... lol

and why not bacon in the stuffing???? ....

ken

9 years ago

Good question! There is bacon (lb. to lb.-and-half) in a turkey stuffing recipe...vegetable stuffing (onions, celery, carrots, red pepper, garlic) not bad, either! 2 lbs. of bacon if making for Ken, LOL

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, MY AMERICAN FRIENDS!!!!!

Eat hearty, enjoy your family, gather your friends and count your blessings!

Jo

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

For the love of God's generosity, ken, plant yourself an asparagus bed and find out what all the whoopla is about. 90 SECONDS max cooking time or just eat them raw.

Kathy

Dr oz says the way to enjoy your family is to admit to yourself that you're as wacky as they are. Probably applies to the GW family, too. Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mmmm...Bacon...

• hostatakeover swMO
    9 years ago

Rotfl.....bacon seeds!!!! Don, you never cease to crack me up; thank you.

Ken, I'm not real keen on asparagus either, but LOVE it grilled with butter in my BGE, then salted.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Okay, Ken...I found it...here it is...are you ready? The BACON FORUM

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Ken, here's the recipe you're looking for: Bacon Apple Pie

Original Author
    9 years ago

and who in the heck serves jello in the middle of a meal ...

in can shape no less ... crikey ...

maybe that red stuff would be palatable with bacon in it ...

name anything else besides cranberry sauce.. served in the shape of an artistic can ... besides cat food and spam.. mind you ...

bad jello no less ...

kathy.. quit waiving the A at me ...

don.. spot on ... probably not 'open pollinated' .. unless mom was a slut ... a pig slut ... lol ... i can say that about immature bacon.. cant i??? ... well.. i will find out if there is some GW filter ... lol

i think i will sign off for tonight ...

what about bacon in cranberries???

ken

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

Bacon seeds.... HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LOVE IT!!

Just wrapped about 70 plus little smokies in bacon for tommorrow

We were having the tater tot hotdish conversation the other day at work and everybodies jaw bout hit the floor when i said "what about throwin some bacon in there" they looked at me like i just invented fire

asparagus: steamed with hollandaise sauce (hate the smelly waste water though)

bacon seeds teehee

Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG!!!!!

tater tots and bacon ...

all one might need.. is a side of gravy ...

turkey???? ..... who needs stinkin turkey ... put it next to the asparagus ... lol .. and sweet potatoes ...

ken

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

What pray tell is or are tater tots? I know taters are spuds but what makes them tots?

Denis

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I think they're ground up potatoes mixed with preservatives, then extruded into little cubes that are fried and frozen and sold boxed. I might be wrong about that, maybe they're real potatoes.

Kathy

This post was edited by zkathy on Wed, Nov 26, 14 at 23:39

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Thanks Kathy, I have not seen them over here, Not fond of the word extruded when related to food lol.

Have a great day tomorrow to all.

Denis

PS. I assume you all wear the big hats with the buckles, yes? lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

oh my ... see tater tot at link ...

i guess i would call it.. a finger food version of hash browns ... [i suppose you dont know that that it either.. lol] ... that can be made at home in the oven ...

a version is a Mc Donalds hash brown served at breakfast ...

what i never understood.. was the derivation of rasher ...

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Deep-fried Twinkies wrapped with bacon!

Dessert, or main course? Discuss.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Rasher is a measurement. That was one of the weird things I had on a test in chef school (the teacher was from Scotland). I've forgotten how much a rasher is, but it's just a measurement that is rarely used anymore.

Many years ago, when I catered, I had a bunch of bacon fat (long story). So instead of sautéing the onions and celery for the dressing/stuffing in butter, I used the bacon fat. Those people said it was the best stuffing they ever tasted. It had to be the bacon fat as nothing else was unusual.

Bring on the bacon!

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

i was hoping bk would chime in ...

how long can a bacon fat story be.. lol ...

i used to store it in a quart jar ... and use it for many browning/frying things ... of which they are all escaping me.. lol ... besides spinach of course ... [makes me wonder why i dont have a spinach aversion from childhood.. probably all those popeye cartoons .. lol.. thank God there wasnt asparagus man cartoons ...]

but i got afraid it would go rancid ... so i ended that ...

gobble gobble ...

ken

ps: my favorite bacon SOUP ... get a half or 3/4 pounds of bacon ... cut into bite sizes ... and cook in the soup pot ... remove and set bacon aside ... throw the potatoes into the fat [i precook the Ps in the micro ] ..... and finish cooking in chicken broth/stock ... until they disintegrate ... throw in some celery and carrots near the end ... serve in bowl.. float in enough bacon for one piece per spoonful .... add shredded cheese on top .. and wait an hour for it to cool down ... lol .. its gotta be artery clogging .... the bacon lost all its beauty.. if left in the soup for the whole cooking ...

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Went shopping to Walmart this afternoon and guess what I saw---an "I love bacon" calendar!!!!! I couldn't believe it. I wasn't even looking for a calendar! So, of course, I thought of you Ken.

• kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
    9 years ago

Sunset magazine had a recipe for bacon baklava in its most recent issue!!!! Yummy! Salty, sweet, and crunchy. Not made with honey...brown sugar syrup.
    K

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I guess the story wasn't all that long. A friend was the sous chef at Lawry's the Prime Rib. They use bacon for baked potatoes and in their creamed spinach (I have the recipe somewhere, which also has cream in it - even Ken would like that spinach), so they always have lots of it. I traded #10 can of chili for the gallon of bacon fat. He made hot dogs for his employees and I had bacon fat for a year. Too bad, now I cook healthy food.

A good use for bacon is Pasta Carbonara. I love this stuff and try to have it at least once over the holidays. Attached is the recipe I use.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Carbonara recipe

Original Author
    9 years ago

I traded #10 can of chili for the gallon of bacon fat.

==>>> YOLO ... you only live once.. lol ..

OMG ... bacon and noodles ... plus eggs and cheese ...

some how or another.. sitting a turkey day dinner... bacon came up [i am pretty sure it was me.. lol] ... we spent about 20 minutes... on the subject.. go figure on that ...

someone had heard of weaving a tent of bacon.. to cover the turkey while roasting ... see link ....

then they went to bacon and apple pie... and dont forget the wedge of cheddar... lol ...

thankfully... no asparagus ...

ken

ps: wonder what you were doing with a 10 pound can of chili??? ... or do you mean.. homemade chili .... of course.. i forget.. you were in the trade ... not many peeps have such.. sitting in the home pantry .... well??? ... those that do.. probably wont admit to such .... lol

Here is a link that might be useful: what do you think ...

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

It's not 10# of chili, it's a #10 can of chili. That's those really big cans that hold about a gallon. (I know, too much detail. that's my downfall - too much detail.)

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

i kinda figured that ...

because it would have been about the size of a small garbage can ... my way ... lol

ken

9 years ago

Now is a good time to admit that last night I had such a craving for bacon....ð that I went through the McDonald's drive-thru, in my pj's, to pick up a burger with bacon!!! (TMI)

Thanks, Ken! NOT lol. I'm trying to lose a few pounds for a Mexican holiday in January and this thread is not helping...at all! Bacon, bacon, bacon, guacamole, sweet taters, pasta carbonara, etc. etc. this is killing me!!!

Sort of like . . . Remember when Hostanista posted that chocolate sundae thingie?

9 years ago

OMG!!! The only way to be able to eat that is .......................ALONE!!!!

• hostanista
    9 years ago

Found something for you Ken:

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago
  • User
    9 years ago

You recall the dog food commercial for Beggin Strips? Oh yeah! Gluten free! Good to know if I must be gluten free that allows a bacon salad....

Original Author
    9 years ago

or this link:

bacon cheeseburger pizza

or this one:bacon wrapped pizza WITH bacon on top

apparently i am on the edge of science with the whole bacon topic... lol

go red wings ....

ken

• User
    9 years ago

Wow, no more falling off the bread! Thanks, BK
    And, I'd have to agree with you, Ken.....the edge of it all.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Yes, when I saw that pizza, I thought of you, Ken.

bk

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Mmmm!!!!!!

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    9 years ago

I give up.

With real bacon? Is the shrimp real?

Original Author
    8 years ago

bumpy

Original Author
    7 years ago

which also brought this one to mind ... ken

Original Author
    4 years ago

a link from an old post.. the legendary bacon post ... go figure ...

• User
    4 years ago

Legends continue because they are PRICELESS

Original Author
    3 years ago

bacon came up in another post .... lol .. well.. actually.. i brought it up.. go figure ... lol ... i would link this there.. but im not sure i recall which it was.. not this forum ....

ken

Original Author
    3 years ago

as i was eating my rather crumby porridge.. aka cinnamon sugar oatmeal ... i was thinking.. you know.. this isnt that far from french toast ... and the only thing better as a side with FT and maple syrup would be.. wait for it .... bacon in the oatmeal with a drizzle of maple syrup and bacon pieces .. lol..

take that dr recommended oatmeal ... lol ...

ken

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

And so, in saying it came up in some other forum but you don’t know what one

===>>> you are right back at your original question....... “is there a bacon forum?” :-)

debra

Original Author
    3 years ago

go figure.. the search bar at the top of the page worked!!! .... only because the original was in the hosta forum.. i i searched here ... i tried it in 'discussions' .. a bunch.. but not this one ...

im still laughing about bacon seeds ....

ken

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    3 years ago

Bacon seeds......... there’s a novel idea! We could grow our own bacon all summer long and maybe in the winter in pots! Now I would love that cause I looooove bacon! 🥓

debra

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

Drat. I missed this the first time around and now that I have found it, all I want for dinner is a tomato and bacon (mostly bacon of course, with a side of bacon) sandwich. I never buy bacon because I don't know how to cook less than the entire package and we eat it all. I am thinking we should each have our own packages.

Original Author
    last month

found this link.. make sure to hit the top..'more posts' button if need be.. the first reply should be bkay ... or maybe i activated it....??

while reviewing the little sleezers pizza link .... found this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOurjE9s3GA&ab_channel=RecipeCards

and dons link from above: https://aliensoup.com/threads/welcome-baconforum-com-members.65423/

ken