Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj_upstateny

another moving question -- "foster parenting" hostas

jj_upstateny
10 years ago

I have another moving question. I want to take a few of my hostas with me when I move. They aren't rare but they are really large and have sentimental value (got them from my late uncle, a botanist). I won't split them. I am moving to a condo in 6A with absolutely no place to plan them temporarily -- but in a year I'll have purchased another house.

Option 1:
Store outside on concrete slab in big cardboard boxes and mulch. Will be a big mess by the end of the winter and what do I do in spring?

Option 2:
Move them soon (we've had hard frosts -- a lovely fall but they conked out a couple of weeks ago so I'll have big root balls but no leaves) to someone who will "foster parent" them. I have yet to find this person but have some ideas. Am I better off trying to foster them with someone in zone 5A or 6A? I'm worried about getting them dug into the ground anywhere right now -- part because of ground hardening esp in 5A but also because I'm so darned busy with this move!

A note -- I also want to do this with some hellebores and a spicebush that I purchased and planted this spring. Any cautions or advice welcome!

Comments (6)

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

I have actually done what you propose to do in plan B. I had moved out West and was unsure of the future, so before I left, I fostered my hosta with a friend with the understanding that should I return, I would retrieve my plants. I would gladly divide them at the time if she wanted to keep some.

It worked out well...I still have the hosta and my friend is growing her own 'adoptees' . I'm grateful to her - she considered it 'no problem' - the plants required no care from her at all...I insisted she not baby them as they were a tough plant and would be fine.

If you go with fostering (IMO a practical solution), work quickly on finding a receptive 'foster parent' in your new zone, dig them up and replant in foster home. If you have to negotiate, you'll have to decide how much of a hand you'll have or want to have in the maintenance and welfare of your babies in the interim...or do what I did...trust and let go for a year. Don't forget...trust Mother Nature to have a hand too....hosta grow and survive in the wild naturally.

Aside from the sentimental attachment of your hosta which I fully condone and understand, this is a great solution you've come up with!

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

w/o the leaves to grab and tug ...

do you have a backhoe to move a huge root mass full of soil???

how do you ... once dug ... how do you hoik them into the vehickle ...

otherwise.. plan B.. someones veg patch ... buy them the veg ...

that said ..... they are not worth a lumbar disc ....

ken

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Option 2 is preferable. As long as you can dig they should be fine. The Spicebush and hellebores should work with option 2 also.

Option 1 is riskier. Not only for the wintering over, but more for the Spring. What do you do then? Will they fit into half wine barrels? Do you build an enormous raised bed container that drains? I just don't know the answer to that one.

Make sure you are really really nice to the foster parent.

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

I would also agree with Option 2. Lift with your legs, and best of luck!

Don B.

• jj_upstateny
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all. Option B it is. Off to look for the foster parent(s)!

J.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

J, I am not sure if I recognize your screen name as a newbie. If you are a newbie.....A little late with the welcome to the forum but a big WELCOME anyway, lol. :-)

Good luck with the search, the move(s) and I /we hope you'll keep in touch once you've moved to your permanent home. It would be nice to see pics of your uncle's hosta re-established in their new home. We are all pic crazy!

Jo

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner