Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

2014 top gun hosta

top gun hosta - warning....enabling...ðÂÂÂ

Last year about this time I created a thread which resulted in my purchasing a hosta called 'Choko Nishiki' aka 'On Stage'...which was submitted by Paula/Ilovetogrow in Florida. I really love this spectacular hosta and cannot wait to see it emerge next spring!!

So here I am again. Looking for that special hosta to get for next year and to start off the growing season for 2015.
---------------------------------------------------------

Which, out of all the hosta you own, if you could only choose ONE....(I know, I know, but TRY) which one would you name TOP GUN for this season?
No runner up, no honourable mentions, not even close....only TOP GUN

If you include a photo (or multiple photos to illustrate your point) (but photo not necessary if it will prevent you from posting a reply) it will have more impact for the viewer. To re-iterate:

1. NAME your Top Gun and
2. WHY did you choose it?
3. Post PIC(s)

Your reply may be the one that helps someone decide ... when they already think they have too many ... or they only add one new hosta per year ... your reply can help narrow down that decision ... and have your name attached to a particular hosta someone decides to buy next year!

This is not as easy as it sounds.....some of us will have a difficult time to choose JUST ONE.

Jo

Comments (73)

• User
    9 years ago

I've been going in circles here lately, and everything takes twice as long as I think it should to get done. One, I wanted to note the appearance of Guac Don on the boards, haven't seen too many posts but it may be MY distraction that is at fault.
    And oh yes, I remember Don and the Yesterday's Memories doing super fine in his garden this year. I bet he will be as impressed next year as I was with Squash Casserole this year. They are, after all, related.

Jo, you know it did not make an impression on me about the family tree of Gosan Sunproof until you mentioned it was a "significant seedling" of H. hypoleuca .....I note you are adopting the original Japanese names for hostas where appropriate. I am impressed by the smooth sophisticated nature of hypoleuca/Urajiro giboshi as well. I ordered 2 from separate sources, and this year ONE of them set seedpods. I can only hope there is another significant seedling from Urajiro to watch grow up.

Jo, thanks for featuring Top Gun again this year. I missed it last year. I pay attention to the hosta that perform nicely in gardens all over the continent, and this thread is a gold mine. (Of course, I really love GOLD)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Jo, I hesitated to reply to this thread because I know you know what my top gun hosta is! Grt. Ex.! And I know that you already have it and love it too. But there are two hosta that really attracted my attention this season which (if you don't have them already) you might be interested in. (Both purchased last year.) So I plan to start a new thread with these two tomorrow. I'll keep you in suspense!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

NHL, I love a GE success story. Yours is absolutely perfect : )

Don B.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I always stopped looking at this h.'Dream Weaver'.
    Bernd

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Bernd, your Dream Weaver is a really nice plant, but Goodness Gracious looks incredibly beautiful I gotta get one. I can't even imagine it when it matures.

Don B.

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

There are some really beautiful plants here. It's pretty hard to pick just one but I guess, for me, the one that got the most attention this year was Cathedral Windows. I've posted this before but the striking difference in this East facing garden as opposed to the hot, West facing one that bleached out the leaves was such a success I took many, many pictures of it. This is in October and Cathedral Windows is still looking wonderful.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mocc, I too would be so excited to see you post pics of your very own seedlings! Fingers crossed!!

This thread brings out not only beautiful Hostas but invaluable growing information as well. Whether you are looking for fast growth, slug/pest resistance, particular substance, etc. you will find it here! I am grateful to All for these and subsequent submissions.

Keep them coming, please.

Original Author
    9 years ago

NHL, your GE has got to be THE most beautiful one - it's perfection, as Don stated! It always deserves to be mentioned and pictured...after all, it is inspiring for the rest of us to see what our own GE can look like....you have set the bar!

Suspense getting to me...lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Bernd, you little rascal, you snuck in another one, LOL! It is primo!

McT, your CW is glowing! I actually picked one up this spring and am already loving it. I placed it in full sun (following advice here) and it loved it as the colours just got more intense. I can't get over the condition of yours in October - it really is beautiful....and BIG! Big and Bold and Beautiful!

Jo

Original Author
    9 years ago

Just thought I'd mention something.... if you happen to have a Top Gun Hosta in mind, and it's already been featured, please don't let that prevent you from posting yours. I've never seen a twin yet!

9 years ago

Thanks Don and Jo for the compliment on GE. There are many that have had success in growing this hosta, but many also struggle or have failed to be successful. I have a small division from this very hosta also, and it remains tiny! Go figure. So I remain thankful that this one GE has thrived, and I am scared to death to repot it next year!

Bernd, I have a couple of young Dream Queens which I enjoy also. I am told that Dream Queen and Dream Weaver may in fact be the same hosta. It is a winner in my books.

McTavish, I had Cathedral Windows on my "must get" list, but then downed sized it to the "thinking about it" list. Now after seeing your photo, it's back on the "must get" list!

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Yes, Cathedral Windows, get you must...

Original Author
    9 years ago

Anything related to Guacamole is a sure winner! I thank you, Don for nudging me in that direction. Back in 2011 I had seen a photo in a magazine of Guacamole and thought "I've got to get me one", then I kind of forgot about it. Later, in 2013 I join this forum, Don posts pics and tells us how much, and why he loves this hosta. The rest is history! Got one, love it and a CW too! Thanks, hosta buddy, you da man!

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I have 2 hostas 'Dream Queen' and also a 'Thunderbolt', but 'Dream Weaver' is bigger and has rounder leaves, overall a better looking plant at its spot. DW is very slowly growing, but the wait is worth it, it has substance.
    Bernd

• mctavish6
    9 years ago

The Great Expectations and Dream Weaver above are beautiful. They do seem to be difficult to grow for many of us. I've lost 2 GE's just when they were doing really well and looking good. They were growing in pots as I remember. I realized along the way they need some direct sun. My current Great Expectations is in some sun and in the ground. It's doing ok and I have hopes..... The Dream Queen I also have in the ground is starting to thrive. Meanwhile here is a Dream Weaver that belongs to my sister in Washington state. This has been one of her 'monster plants' for quite a while. The first time I saw it in person in late September several years ago I was stunned at the size and how perfect and still blue it was. Notice it compared to the door behind it.

Original Author
    9 years ago

W O W! This is an amazing Dream Weaver! It looks utterly fabulous in every way! I bought one last year but it died in its pot ð³. I'll have to see how my new/replaced Dream Queens do...DW may still get replaced. Looking at your sister's Hosta sure makes me want another one though.

What a great picture, Myrle.

Jo

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

H. 'Dream Weaver' and 'Dream Queen' near lookalike h. 'Thunderbolt' is supposedly difficult to grow. One of my 2 nearly died last early spring due to crownrot, as several others, probably due to the long late winter.
    Shown here is a h.'Dream Queen'. I have another picture of it with blueish leaves, it depends on lighting probably.
    Bernd

9 years ago

Thanks for showing us your lovely Dream Queen and Dream Weaver Bernd. They do look very similar. I think they are one of the "must have" hostas. Due to lack of space, I am trying to convince myself that I only need one of these hosta. But time will tell if I cave in or not. I have high hopes for my two Dream Queens.

McTavish, your sister's Dream Weaver is to die for! The size is remarkable. I want one of those!

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I have high hopes for my DQ next year also, Jo. We'll have to compare photos next year. I replanted my baby in better soil this year and she is making a great comeback. Who knows - might be a top gun next year.

DD

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, DD! I think it's great to see DQ showcased and yours is no less beautiful! I really like the soft creamy yellow centre in this shot. Take a peek at these when I brought them home last spring.....

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Those are 3 healthy looking beauties, Jo. Maybe ours will rival GE - ya never know!!

DD

Original Author
    9 years ago

DD, now wouldn't that be sumthin'? Lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Any more Top Gun submissions, anyone?

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Jo It certainly has slowed down. Even if there are no more submissions I know I have enjoyed seeing every ones great choices and pics. What a terrific idea you had! Hope you get as much pleasure from this years choice as you did last years.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

With a little encouragement I could spice things up with another Top Gun!! Ha Ha

DD

Original Author
    9 years ago

Peren.all, thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it so far. Sometimes it takes awhile for everybody to catch up but you have a point...things really slow down due to the timeline...Christmas around the corner, things to do, to get, vacations to book, lots going on at this time of year.

Having said that, I should probably take DD's suggestion up and say...submit more than one then! Yes, that's it! Carry on! Lol

Come on, DD let's have another top gun! ðÂÂÂ

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Okie Dokie! No surprise here - Grape Fizz. Beautiful, pristine, rotund, glossy and vigorous. Slug resistant. Took a big leap in its third year. Enjoys a fair amount of sun. Only negative is it doesn't bloom until late September and the weather dictates whether it does or not. Might not be too accessible now. I know Bob Solberg offers it on his website.

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Sun, Nov 23, 14 at 23:10

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

I probably would have chosen Squash CASEROLE the first time around ,but I put up pictures of this plant before. However, it has consistently been the best growing Hosta that I have. It is fairly slug resistant,has tons of flowers,and has grown to almost twice the reported size. It definitely meets the 20 foot rule.

9 years ago

H. 'Hanky Panky' may be an older hosta now but I never tire of looking at it. What a great performer. This is a 4 year old and I think it speaks for itself! (It is in full sun until at least 1:00)

This post was edited by Peren.all on Mon, Nov 24, 14 at 9:17

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

LOL. I have totally just added a bunch of names to my "Wanted" trade list!!!

SunnyWood - What is the name of that dark green, heart shaped, deeply lined hosta to the left and behind the light green one (Squash Casserole?) - I MUST know!!!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, Peren.all! What a gorgeous mound and colour display! I just picked one up earlier, about mid-October and am so looking forward to its emergence. I imagine it's a "late riser" like the rest of its family? My Striptease is certainly not the last to emerge but comes up later than most.

Really good to see its potential. Thank you for your contribution!

Jo

9 years ago

So happy to hear you have it Jo! You will not be disappointed to say the least. I find it emerges right along with most others, though I do find that first year hostas sometimes are slower to emerge than in following years. Many years ago when I fall planted ''Blue Angel' and 'Sum and Substance' it seemed to take forever for them to break ground, to the point that I wondered if I had planted too late. They did emerge and have since been early risers. I will watch this spring and update on the timing of H.P. relative to others. Enjoy!!!

• User
    9 years ago

Sunnywood, thank you for showing your Squash Casserole. I know it grows very well in the south, but I was wondering how well it grows up in the country. Now I know I can include it in the selection I plan to give to our daughter for her New Hampshire condo. She went from ANTI-hosta to HOSTA Lover because of the hosta garden next door to her new place. All my exclaiming never worked, but a little "show and tell" goes a long way. I'm so pleased. I needed another garden to spot for hostas!!! When one door closes, another one opens.

I'll also throw in here MY Squash Casserole, which I exclaimed about all last year and this year. It can take the sun from the west and in the afternoon, IF IT GETS LOTS OF WATERING. Which I made sure to give it. It turns much more yellow in a lot of sun too. I'll hit you with my best shot only. You can search my Flickr albums using the hosta names to find other photos of her, including the very unimpressive first year shots. I'd suggest getting the biggest one you can find to start with.

In late April 2014 before I moved her to the western sun. She got morning light here.

Nov 17 2014 just before the first frost. From July she got western afternoon sun zone 9a.

So from April to mid November, looking good, a lot of stamina. About 8 months.....impressive

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

Queen-Gardener the blue-green to the left and behind is a large Blue Angel. The blue-green to the lower left is a Halcyon. Thanks Mocc, that plant is about 6 years old and has grown fast each year.. It is now about 6 feet in dia. It grows in open shade. Because we are right on the lake the temps never get much higher than mid 80s. I do water about once a week if we don't get the usual rains.

• queen_gardener
    9 years ago

Hmmm . . . I'm confused Sunnywood. The first pic you posted, there are two plants next to it that look identical, both have dark green, heart shaped leaves with deep lines. I want THAT one, so I need to know its name to write it down. :-) Thanks! That second pic looks like another bed? The tree isn't next to it.

For my Top Gun, though I'm not at your level, oh Hosta Masters, LOL, is what I think is Sagae. I moved into this house almost exactly a year ago, and the most amazing hosta was here. My husband calls it the "Jurassic Park leaves." At least FOUR FEET high and FIVE FEET wide!!!! Just gorgeous. I looked for a long time on the internet, and I think I have a positive ID.

• User
    9 years ago

Sunny, oh my, you are right on the lake?
    Hmmm, I hope all is well with you and your entire neighborhood.

You maintain your garden beautifully.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    9 years ago

The yellow Hosta in the middle of the second pic is SQ, just a different view of the same garden.. The big blugr is BA the smaller blugr to the left is Halcyon. The lake is Champlain so no lake effect snow. In fact no snow at all yet.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Here we go! DD, your suggestion has taken on steam! This is getting more and more interesting folks! I thought I actually would have an easy decision to make, but it looks like I better put that off for awhile...we're not done yet.

At this point, there are three strong contenders. ðÂÂÂðÂÂÂ

Jo

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Donna, thanks for that Grape Fizz nomination. I got one from Green Hill this spring and it did nothing all year and went down ugly and early. I have great hope now that it will be worthy of the primo spot I put it in. If it's as beautiful as yours in a few years I'll be happy happy joy joy.

Kathy

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Kathy - Grape Fizz was my photo contest winner. I hope it makes it to the library so folks can see its potential and can experience happy happy joy joy.

Late summer photo

DD

This post was edited by DelawareDonna on Tue, Nov 25, 14 at 9:32

Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, it has been a long time since the contest, no? Why don't you shoot Bob A. an email explaining why you are attaching your winning pic. The only pic in the Library looks like Mocc's (guessing) and it sure could use some company. I have a strong feeling it would go up very quickly.

Your Grape Fizz is beautiful and I easily associate that Hosta with you, as well as Awakening Angel. ðÂÂÂ

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Jo - When I click on the "email here" link, it doesn't open up for me which leads me to believe that they are not accepting photos.

DD

Original Author
    9 years ago

Donna, I just checked and have no problem with it. I would be more than happy to send your picture for you; however, you would need to provide your full name to credit the picture to you.

Write what you want to say and I will email on your behalf. You can email me if you like and I can copy and paste your message.

The Library NEEDS your beautiful pic!

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

Bob Axmear retired and a new person is handling Hosta Library, I do believe.

I wonder if Donna's picture of Grape Fizz got misplaced in the switch over? I have no idea who could tell us the details, unless it is Don R or Ken A or maybe SteveMass, who is in the know as well.

Indeed, that is the best looking Grape Fizz I ever saw.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Mocc for that information. We've sent the pics...now it's wait and see! Hope the new person doesn't mind being called Bob, lol.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Mulling over ... Will arrive at decision by or on Friday! Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions and accompanying notes.

Jo

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello, hosta lovers! Well, here it is...the Top Gun Winner for 2014.

But first, a comment or two....

'Squash Casserole' was already on my to-get list this year but could not be found, so I'm buying one first thing this coming spring and I thank MOCCASINLANDING for that. It will be planted in the front garden!

'Dream Weaver' did not return from its winter slumber this year. Since I have a similar hosta, Dream Queen, I will be content growing it as best I can.

I had to weigh several factors while arriving at my decision for Top Gun.

Do I already have something similar?
    Do I have room for its eventual size?
    Where will it grow?
    Can it take more sun without burning?
    Is the shape of the plant pleasing?
    Is the leaf shape somewhat different so that it adds diversity in the garden?

Original Author
    9 years ago

So, without further ado, I am pleased and surprised to say ... IT'S A TIE!!!!

H. 'Winter Snow' submitted by Peren.all
    'Winter Snow' is so appropriate as I live in a snowbelt! I don't have anything else like it amongst my hostas. But wait! I actually do have a relative of WS living in my garden - Sum & Substance! No wonder I was drawn to WS!!!

It drew me in instantly when Peren.all posted it.... Ripples, beautiful leaf shape, lovely colour with a light margin and presence! ... all a big plus for this hosta, and the fact that it can take so much sun exposure!. I need such a hosta for the front garden.

AND

H. 'Goodness Gracious' submitted by Berndny
    For two years now I've been fawning over this hosta whenever it was posted! Each picture, regardless of age of hosta, always stopped me and gave me pause. The wide margin and clean look overall got me. The sharpness of leaf colour is gorgeous. The rounder leaf shape and rather obtuse tip is also pleasing to me.

It satisfies my yen for Satisfaction, Spartacus (although it's ripples really get to me) and a couple of other similar hostas. The fact that it is a sport of Satisfaction is a big plus!

THANK YOU, one and all for your contributions once again. The hostas you chose as your Top Gun are all worthy of that honour! I've learned about some new hostas, received some great information and first-hand experience growing these and that is invaluable to me.

I can't wait for spring! The next decision will be where will I go to purchase these? Hand-picking the hostas is the ultimate joy!!!!

Here is another look at the winners. I have taken liberty and used your photos.

Hope this thread was as enjoyable to you as it was to me. Thanks again, folks!

Jo

• User
    9 years ago

Great hostas, great choices!
    Thanks for doing this and summarizing with one post at the end.

Have a happy Winter Snow, Jo!

Original Author
    9 years ago

Aw, Mocc, thank you!