Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josephines67

Singing praises of...

Hosta 'Bridal Falls'.

I picked up this hosta in June of this year and have been smitten with it. There is something about its crisp yet soft-on-the-eyes appearance...must be the piecrust edges.

Your comments are eagerly anticipated...as are your own pictures of your plant. I'd like to hear what you like about Bridal Falls.

Thanks for looking,
Jo.

Comments (35)

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

No pictures, but I was really pleased at this hosta's growth rate and slug tolerance. Mine has been in the ground since last summer and I was impressed by how well it had developed. It's a very striking hosta.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ninamarie, so glad to hear about the growth rate of yours. It didn't take me long after I brought it home to realize it would become quite a specimen in a short time. It will last in this spot for no longer than two years before it needs more room!ð³

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Gorgeous sport of a terrific parent! Such good growth from June-Sept. I also like hostas with piecrust edges and can certainly understand why you are singing her praises.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Jo and all expecting great things from this beautiful hosta next year based on your lovely photos, Mine was planted late this summer.

DD

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I love this one, too. Mine has fewer leaves than yours but more ripples. Planted in 2013 as a tc baby.

Not the best pic but you get the idea.

{{!gwi}}

Vanessa

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    9 years ago

Mine was pretty small when it went in last year. No photos, since it still wasn't very full this year, but it did have much bigger leaves. So far it looks like a winner. I did notice a lot of brow spots as the summer went on, am hoping it grows out of that.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Dont think i have seen this one before! I really like it too. Will have to add this to my list. My list is getting toooo big! Lol, not possible.......

Sherry

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Now you need 'Shoot the Rapids', a medio-variegated sport of 'Niagara Falls'.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

oh???

i thought this was going to be about me ...

rotflmbo

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: just in case you are acronym challenged

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Peren.all!

DD, the larger leaves are really showing this hosta's characteristics and look at those new leaves! Much to look forward to.

Hippie, was hoping you'd have one among the 500-600 or so Hostas in your garden! :-) I love the uniform ripples on yours and how it's standing so upright... A real looker, your TC is growing up!

MadPlanter, the brown spots you spoke of ... maybe a bit of sunburn? Thank goodness spring brings forth renewal! :-)

Sherry, .... and "the list goes on ..." Lol

Don R. ... tried looking it up but it must be really new?

Ken, LOL! as usual :-)

Jo

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Jo, I'll post a pic next summer.

• User
    9 years ago

I ordered Bridal Falls twice. The first one looked like a real BF when it arrived in 2013. In 2014 when I posted a photo, everyone said it was not BF. It didn't look like it this spring anyway. So I ordered a second version from another nursery. Now I'm confused.

So next spring I'll show off my Bridal Falls. BOTH of them if they come back.

It is supposed to go to 29 tonight and tomorrow night, it was overcast too. I took some pictures, and said goodbye to all my lovely fall hostas which are still not dormant. This might be the "coop de grace." I'll upload to flickr and hope that some might endure the weather. They are so tired.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Don! :-)

Hi, Mocc! I really look forward to both your BFs in spring. Hope your eye has healed, and that the remodel is going as expected. Next year will also bring a lot more of your hostas to maturity...much to look forward to!

My Hostas are covered in snow now, enjoying their winter slumber. It was too short a season for me this year.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

I am loving the photos I see of Bridal Falls. It is definitely on my "got to have" list!

Original Author
    9 years ago

NHL, you have War Paint...it's only natural to want BFS as well, it follows! Thank goodness for Niagara Falls, else we wouldn't have these beauties, would we? ðÂÂÂ

• donrawson
    9 years ago

If you like 'Bridal Falls', then you'll probably also like 'Lakeside Breaking News', 'Spartacus', and 'Spring Fling'.

9 years ago

Yes Jo. Niagara Falls has put out a couple of great sports. I thought that purchasing War Paint would mean that I didn't need Niagara Falls. But I'm not sure about that!

I do like the three hostas you mention Don. I am aware of Spartacus and Spring Fling. I had seen a lovely Spring Fling in a private garden (in a pot) last year. I hadn't heard much about Lakeside Breaking News. The pictures in the Hosta Library remind me of a combination Spring Fling and Earth Angel . . . all gorgeous hostas!

• mac48025 ( SE michigan)
    9 years ago

Great hosta, but then I say that about all of them.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, Mac! Oh my, look at that gorgeous colour! I've never seen such pronounced celadon streaking/colour as you've shown. It really stands out. How old is your beauty?

9 years ago

Thanks Jo, I wish I could take credit for its beauty but all I did was stick it in the ground. I bought it last year so it's still a baby. To be honest I didn't notice the great coloration until I took these pics in late summer. I'm looking forward to seeing it next year as it seems to be a vigorous grower. Another pic of it.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Spartacus rules! Look how cool these leaves are, and it's barely out of the ground in this pic. : )

Don B.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Don R., thanks for the direct links! Any one of these I would welcome into my garden. I knew Guacamole Don had one ... That's how it got onto my want list....then I saw Goodness Gracious last year and it was a toss-up so I thought I'd wait. You providing these pics, then along comes himself, lol, and posts that very Spartacus ... talk about a "nudge"! Lol

I cannot imagine anyone not liking ripples/ruffles/piecrusting on a hosta.

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Spring Fling is also a fantastic one, as you can see in the links Don R. provided. I saw a pic of Paul in Minn's SF in 2012, Had to get one, and I did, but not til 2013. Grows medium-to-above average rate. Gorgeous. And it's a bit older, so it's CHEAP at most vendors.

What a great thread, Jo!

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Mac, where did you get that one? The margins are wider than the ordinary.

bk

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Here is my h.'Spring Fling' (left) and 'Satisfaction' this summer. Bernd

• ninamarie
    9 years ago

War Paint has left me underwhelmed. It's a fifteen minute show in the spring and when it turns to solid green, does not seem to display its piecrust edges as beautifully as Niagara Falls. It was too close to a foot path through the garden, so I removed it a few weeks ago. It grew well enough, but I just cannot love it.
    Don, are you joking about Hosta 'Shoot the Rapids.' I cannot find it on Hosta Library, or anywhere else for that matter. I like canoeing even more than I like hostas.

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Nina, you won't find a pics of 'Shoot the Rapids'. It's my own medio-variegated sport of 'Niagara Falls' which I just named this summer. It's a beautiful plant, but I don't have any photos of it to share with you.

9 years ago

Bk, I got it from Made in the Shade Hostas in 2013. Didn't realize it's margins were wider than normal. Maybe the margin gets wider as the plant matures?

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

Fantastic picture, Bernd. These two hostas look great together.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I think plants come out of TC with different characteristics. Don R said his Pride and Joy came out of TC with more narrow margins that it went in with.

A few years ago, the Dallas Arboretum had plants supplied by different growers. For instance, there might be a Guacamole from Q&Z and a Guacamole from Abbott IPCO. They weren't exactly the same, nor did they grow the same. That has interested me ever since I saw the difference in those plants. (I've been told it's my imagination, and it's possible it is.)

bk

Original Author
    9 years ago

It may be possible, but unlikely in your case. You are very observant.

I thought a TC plant would/should result in an identical plant, a clone if you will. What would, during the course of growing these TC's, cause the difference, as in narrower margins as in Pride and Joy?

9 years ago

Found a picture I took last year on a tour of a private garden. This Bridal Falls leaf really impressed me. There had only been about five leaves on his hosta, but boy were they gorgeous. I wish I had taken a photo of the whole plant.

Original Author
    9 years ago

You've captured the beauty of Bridal Falls in that great shot! Nothing but stardom for this one. Thank you for posting it.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Ooh NHL that is really lovely.

Denis

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Ever since 'Bridal Falls' came out, I've wondered how it compares to 'Lightning Ridge', which has been around since at least 2002. And I wonder why Gary Trucks never registered or introduced 'Lightning Ridge'. Anyone know why?

BTW, I think 'Bridal Falls' is a much better name for a sport of 'Niagara Falls' than 'Lightning Ridge'. I wish I could name my medio-variegated sport 'Victoria Falls', but that name has already been taken.