Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name That Hosta #4

Posted by don_r Z 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 25, 11 at 12:55

Here's a real unique hosta which came from someone in Wisconsin. Can you name it?

name that hosta #4a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name That Hosta #4

mary marie ann from englerth gardens in hopkins MI ... 1982 .. named after his 3 daughters ...

i cant remember its other name ...

devils advocate.. ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

holiday white.. or is that the look alike to kiwi spearmint ...

gray cells still pondering ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

I don't generally care for the really odd shaped leaves on Hosta.. But this one sure is marked nice.

o

Ken,

Good guess, but no deal. The hosta shown in the pic above does not have an all-white center...it has a leaf pattern with a green irregular center. Here are a couple more pics of the same hosta:

name that hosta #4c

name that hosta #4b

Here's a clue: this unique hosta is related to Krossa Regal, but it doesn't get as large.

o

It would be 'Wally's Bullfrog' then, wouldn't it?

Pieter

o

OMG .. i didnt notice that it is centered AND EDGED .... 4 color bands .... extremely rare in a hosta ... i wonder how stable it is ...

ken

o

Pieter, you guess it! 'Wally's Bullfrog', also known simply as 'Bullfrog'. It's a stable sport of 'Krossa Regal' with a very unusual pattern. Do you think it looks like a bullfrog???

The first pic is from the Hosta Library, under the name 'Bullfrog'. The other pics are from the Hosta Library under the name 'Wally's Bullfrog'.

'Wally's Bullfrog' was discovered by Wally Hoover of Loyal, Wisconsin.

Wally's Bullfrog on the MyHostas Database

'Wally's Bullfrog' appears to be very similar, or identical to, 'White Sprite'. Both hostas are sports of 'Krossa Regal'. Can you see any difference between them?

Another hosta with a similar pattern is 'Quiet Waters'. However, 'Quiet Waters' is not related to 'Krossa Regal'. It's a seedling of 'Aurora Borealis'.

'Quiet Waters'
hosta Quiet Waters

o

I have White Sprite,I wish that it looked as good as your Wally's Bullfrog.Phil

White Sprite

o

Any of them would be welcome to come and live at my house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here