Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dansgrdn

Year 5 North garden

dansgrdn
11 years ago

Didn't take too many photos this year due to the weather, but dug up this photo from the Spring. Despite some hail holes, it's fun to look at pics from earlier in the year. I planted this garden the Spring of 2007 and it's what started me on my Hosta journey.

Dan

Comments (29)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Dan - What a beautiful garden. I hope there is a bench where you can sit and enjoy your hard work.
    Jan

• dg
    11 years ago

Very nice! I love the stone "retaining" wall and the Japanese grass (Hakonechloa macra?).

I'm curious, do you have a sprinkler system set up in the "North" garden?
    :-)
    Deb

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Dan, you always have exquisite taste and execution. Your seedlings are wonderful. You might want to show here also the seedling bed with great looking stone wall you showed on the Hosta Seed Growers forum, I love your work!
    Bernd

• donrawson
    11 years ago

Very nice, Dan...can you tell us what the names of the hostas are? Thanks

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Jan, Deb, Bernd and Don!

Deb, the lower third part of the bed gets hit by the lawn sprinkler. I hand water the rest.

Don, starting on the left of the ones I can see in the photo,Golden Meadows, Brother Stefan, Ringtail, Little Sunspot, Clear Fork River Valley, William Lachman, Fire Island, Blue Mammoth, Whirlwind, Popcorn, Krossa Regal, Ice Age Trail, Bressingham Blue, Orange Marmalade, Touch of Class, Great Expectations, Cracker Crumbs, Marilyn Monroe, Liberty, Steve Moldovan, Striptease, First Frost (sporting a bit), Stained Glass, Blue Vision streaked, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, June, Risky Business, streaked seedling, and Fickle Blue Genes in the shadows. I moved a few this fall and rearanged things a bit. We'll see how it looks next year :)

Dan

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

PS. and Rhino Hide lower left corner ;) :) Oh and Galaxy is behind the A.s. 'Aureum' and there is a Komodo Dragon between the Tsuga canadensis 'Summer Snow' and the A.p. 'Twombley's Red Sentinel' . I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more but those are the majority of them.

Dan

• Cher
    11 years ago

Gorgeous Dan. Beautiful combinations of texture and color. The Hostas look great in size for 5 years.
    Cher

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Cher!,

Here is a link that might be useful: a few more garden photos

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Dan, just beautiful! How deep is the bed(stones to side of house)?

• donrawson
    11 years ago

If there's one hosta that really stands out in that photo, it's Liberty. I couldn't believe that Liberty was mentioned in the "List your lemons" posting...

Anyways Dan, you have the perfect combination of textures and colors there...even a good variety of small trees...By the way, are the hostas planted in spin-out bags?

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

Pretty, great hosta and nice stones!

bkay

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks cyn427, bkay, and Don.

cyn427 the bed is 11.5 feet front to back and the portion in the pic is 35 feet long.

Don, no I didn't use spin out bags. I agree Liberty is a standout and am equally surprised that it would make that type of category.

Thanks again for the nice comments!

Dan

• Gesila
    11 years ago

My how they have grown Dan! As everyone else said, a perfect combination of color and texture. Your ADG sure has some cupped leaves!

Gesila

• hostafreak
    11 years ago

Always loved your gardens,Dan! It makes my paltry woodland garden be not worthy. But,you go with you have,and I have no flat ground here. Thanks for the tour! Phil,on a hillside in NC.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    11 years ago

Great looking tapestry you've spun together there Dan.

Thanks for the glimpse.

tj

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Gesila,Phil and tj.

Hi Phil, I actually much prefer the natural setting of your beautiful, serene, woodland garden to my more ornamental look. Unfortunately that look is not attainable on my small suburban lot. Guess we all want what we don't have :).

My spot is not exactly flat, but probably is in comparison to your steep hill. There is about a three foot grade change in the longer part of the garden and even more so as it extends to the West side of the yard, so I built some walls to compensate. Here is the most recent addition that Bernd mentioned earlier. It now houses way too many Hosta seedlings :)

and here's the bones of the garden before the hostas were planted.

Thanks again for the nice comments,
    Dan

• Cher
    11 years ago

Dan I have to say WOW! Your new areas are fantastic. Your rock edging is beautiful. Lots of work there but so worth every minute of the time. Can't wait to see the photos next year of the areas planted out.
    Cher

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Dan,

Really nice. Did you set the rocks into dry 'Quickcrete' and spray it down to set them? The second picture looks as if this is what you might have done

However you did it, you did a great job.

Jon

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Those last two pictures look like they are the before hosta? Or the one by the house for sure . It has grown so much in the last 5 years and your choices of plants make it look like you had a landscaping company come in but only better! Very beautiful landscaping for sure!

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Cher, sorry for the confusion, almosthooked is right that second thumbnail pic is from 2007. I wanted to show what it looks like under the North side garden before the Hosta were planted.

The first thumbnail pic is the most recent section. I'm running out of space.
    It has seedlings tightly planted for now, but my hope is to eventually select a few favorites and plant it out in a more aesthetic manner. Here's a pic of what it looked like shortly after I planted last years seedlings. You can also see some more mature seedlings toward the left of the photo in a bed that was a previous addition. I also redid the top portion of the bed and the seedlings continue up and between the Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' and the Acer palmatum , 'Ryusen'.

Jon, the rocks are dry set. A trench is dug, filled with limestone screenings and the rocks are dry stacked with screenings between and behind and back filled with soil. I use less screenings and sometimes substitute sand behind the wall when Hosta are going in the bed because I worry about the alkalinity of the limestone. No ill effects so far though, and I have beds that are over ten years old and still look good.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Dan

• diggindutchman
    11 years ago

Dan, Love your conifers!!nice placements in your collection. Hosta bed looks like you have room for a few more!!!
    John

• poopsko (zone 5)
    6 years ago

Hey Dan, what is the deciduous tree in your back yard on the corner? Is that a honeysuckle locust ? I like the open look it provides while being able to plant close to the house. I'd like something similar,

• poopsko (zone 5)
    6 years ago

It's not in any of the pics you have above. I remember it from another post

• almosthooked zone5
    6 years ago

I miss seeing your posting of your lovely yard and would love to see more . You are such an inspiration then and now . Thanks again

Faye

• dansgrdn
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Poopsko, I have a 'Sunburst' Honey Locust on the SW corner of my house if that is the one you are talking about.

• Ken Zone 5 SE Idaho
    6 years ago

Dan, love the way that the n garden is terraced. Really shows your plants off to their best advantage. Inspirational!

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    6 years ago

Love the way you worked in shrubs and small trees. It's such a well thought out garden, and you have some outstanding varieties of hosta.

Do you breed hostas? They look too nice to be O.P.

I was probably one of the people who thought Liberty was a lemon. Got one the year after it came out, and despite morning sun, fertilizer and extra watering, it got smaller every year. I gave up after four years and got a new one. Planted it right by the old one. It grew well and looks fabulous, while the old one vanished. Maybe a bad batch got through T.C. and gave Liberty a "lemon" reputation.

• stephanie_h12
    6 years ago

You have such beautiful gardens and love the shrubs and trees mixed in. So peaceful.