Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Year 5 North garden

Posted by dansgrdn z5Chicago (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 13:14

Didn't take too many photos this year due to the weather, but dug up this photo from the Spring. Despite some hail holes, it's fun to look at pics from earlier in the year. I planted this garden the Spring of 2007 and it's what started me on my Hosta journey.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Year 5 North garden

Dan - What a beautiful garden. I hope there is a bench where you can sit and enjoy your hard work.
Jan

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 13:51

Very nice! I love the stone "retaining" wall and the Japanese grass (Hakonechloa macra?).

I'm curious, do you have a sprinkler system set up in the "North" garden?
:-)
Deb

o

Dan, you always have exquisite taste and execution. Your seedlings are wonderful. You might want to show here also the seedling bed with great looking stone wall you showed on the Hosta Seed Growers forum, I love your work!
Bernd

o

Very nice, Dan...can you tell us what the names of the hostas are? Thanks

o

Thanks Jan, Deb, Bernd and Don!

Deb, the lower third part of the bed gets hit by the lawn sprinkler. I hand water the rest.

Don, starting on the left of the ones I can see in the photo,Golden Meadows, Brother Stefan, Ringtail, Little Sunspot, Clear Fork River Valley, William Lachman, Fire Island, Blue Mammoth, Whirlwind, Popcorn, Krossa Regal, Ice Age Trail, Bressingham Blue, Orange Marmalade, Touch of Class, Great Expectations, Cracker Crumbs, Marilyn Monroe, Liberty, Steve Moldovan, Striptease, First Frost (sporting a bit), Stained Glass, Blue Vision streaked, Abiqua Drinking Gourd, June, Risky Business, streaked seedling, and Fickle Blue Genes in the shadows. I moved a few this fall and rearanged things a bit. We'll see how it looks next year :)

Dan

o

PS. and Rhino Hide lower left corner ;) :) Oh and Galaxy is behind the A.s. 'Aureum' and there is a Komodo Dragon between the Tsuga canadensis 'Summer Snow' and the A.p. 'Twombley's Red Sentinel' . I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more but those are the majority of them.

Dan

o

Gorgeous Dan. Beautiful combinations of texture and color. The Hostas look great in size for 5 years.
Cher

o

Thanks Cher!,

Here is a link that might be useful: a few more garden photos

o

Dan, just beautiful! How deep is the bed(stones to side of house)?

o

If there's one hosta that really stands out in that photo, it's Liberty. I couldn't believe that Liberty was mentioned in the "List your lemons" posting...

Anyways Dan, you have the perfect combination of textures and colors there...even a good variety of small trees...By the way, are the hostas planted in spin-out bags?

o

Pretty, great hosta and nice stones!

bkay

o

Thanks cyn427, bkay, and Don.

cyn427 the bed is 11.5 feet front to back and the portion in the pic is 35 feet long.

Don, no I didn't use spin out bags. I agree Liberty is a standout and am equally surprised that it would make that type of category.

Thanks again for the nice comments!

Dan

o

My how they have grown Dan! As everyone else said, a perfect combination of color and texture. Your ADG sure has some cupped leaves!

Gesila

o

Always loved your gardens,Dan! It makes my paltry woodland garden be not worthy. But,you go with you have,and I have no flat ground here. Thanks for the tour! Phil,on a hillside in NC.

o

Great looking tapestry you've spun together there Dan.

Thanks for the glimpse.

tj

o

Thanks Gesila,Phil and tj.

Hi Phil, I actually much prefer the natural setting of your beautiful, serene, woodland garden to my more ornamental look. Unfortunately that look is not attainable on my small suburban lot. Guess we all want what we don't have :).

My spot is not exactly flat, but probably is in comparison to your steep hill. There is about a three foot grade change in the longer part of the garden and even more so as it extends to the West side of the yard, so I built some walls to compensate. Here is the most recent addition that Bernd mentioned earlier. It now houses way too many Hosta seedlings :)

Photobucket

and here's the bones of the garden before the hostas were planted.
Photobucket

Thanks again for the nice comments,
Dan

o

Dan I have to say WOW! Your new areas are fantastic. Your rock edging is beautiful. Lots of work there but so worth every minute of the time. Can't wait to see the photos next year of the areas planted out.
Cher

o

Dan,

Really nice. Did you set the rocks into dry 'Quickcrete' and spray it down to set them? The second picture looks as if this is what you might have done

However you did it, you did a great job.

Jon

o

Those last two pictures look like they are the before hosta? Or the one by the house for sure . It has grown so much in the last 5 years and your choices of plants make it look like you had a landscaping company come in but only better! Very beautiful landscaping for sure!

o

Hi Cher, sorry for the confusion, almosthooked is right that second thumbnail pic is from 2007. I wanted to show what it looks like under the North side garden before the Hosta were planted.

The first thumbnail pic is the most recent section. I'm running out of space.
It has seedlings tightly planted for now, but my hope is to eventually select a few favorites and plant it out in a more aesthetic manner. Here's a pic of what it looked like shortly after I planted last years seedlings. You can also see some more mature seedlings toward the left of the photo in a bed that was a previous addition. I also redid the top portion of the bed and the seedlings continue up and between the Acer shirasawanum 'Autumn Moon' and the Acer palmatum , 'Ryusen'.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Jon, the rocks are dry set. A trench is dug, filled with limestone screenings and the rocks are dry stacked with screenings between and behind and back filled with soil. I use less screenings and sometimes substitute sand behind the wall when Hosta are going in the bed because I worry about the alkalinity of the limestone. No ill effects so far though, and I have beds that are over ten years old and still look good.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone,

Dan

o

Dan, Love your conifers!!nice placements in your collection. Hosta bed looks like you have room for a few more!!!
John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here