Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkay2000

White Centered Hosta

bkay2000
10 years ago

I was just reading another thread about "dud" hosta. For me, Ann Kulpa turns to carp the second week it's up. For my neighbor, Night Before Christmas turns green in the center. But, if I remember correctly (when she was younger and could water adequately), it didn't burn. I don't mind the green so much, but hate the crispy centers and edges.

Is there a white centered hosta that does well for you?

bk

Comments (13)

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been very happy (since 2009) with Christmas Candy. It is a tet form of NBC, and a little smaller. I'm not where I can link to a photo. ;-(

Christmas Cookies is very similar, from what I've read, but might have a darker green margin.

-Babka

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This year I was quite happy with the parent plant, White Christmas. I had it in the ground for several years but it was always ratty and slug damaged. Two years ago I dug it up, divided it, potted a small division and set it aside. This year I gave it more sun and protected it from slugs. I also put two in my hollow stumps but they didn't fare as well with the slugs.

I'm new to containers but will try more, especially with "problem" hostas.

• jimr66
    10 years ago

My fav. is "Risky Business" It seems to be quite vigorous and keeps good color all year.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Fire and Ice

Morning sun. Afternoon shade.

Steve

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Summer Music does well for me in sun or shade. Have you tried Ann Kulpa in different conditions? It's one of my best in half day sun.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Loyalist has done well for me in open shade. Slug resistant but a slow grower.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

'High Society', a 'June' sport, is quite small but tough as nails and one of the very last to fade in my garden this fall. The white centres really stand out in my dark garden.
    Jan

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

One I like,planted in 2009,is Sharp Dressed Man,from Bob Solberg. Here is mine from this year. It's hard to believe this plant came from a seedling of Francee. Phil

• User
    10 years ago

Since Myrle put in her Summer Music with half day sun and then one with all shade (I think it was hers), I thought I'd show what Summer Music looked like in mid August.

Our spring and summer were extremely wet, so it could take the mid-morning to early afternoon sun in zone 9a. But once the weather dried up in mid to late September, it suffered. It has gone dormant a few weeks ago.

This is its pretty August 18 photo.

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

I love Sharp Dressed Man. I've had it for about four years now, and from an inauspicious beginning, it has grown beautifully. It's really an eye-catcher.
    Anyone here growing Rare Breed? I just put one in a few weeks ago, and I'd be interested in hearing evaluations, so far.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Great Expectations' did well this year, considering ALL of it's leaves froze and died shortly after first flush, in that crazy spring many of us had. This is the replacement foliage it grew after sustaining the damage.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, Ann Kulpa was in too much sun, both this year and last. I couldn't leave anything small on the ground this year, as Cleo seemed to be very interested in those. If she got a chance at a small one, she would dump the plant and chew on the pot. So, my solution involved elevating them, which gave them too much sun. I knew they wouldn't look good this year. Maybe I'll give her another year.

I think I'll try Sharp Dressed Man. It had to stand up to some heat and a long growing season in North Carolina. I also ended up with a TC of NBC in that fiasco with G W Wild and Sons. Maybe there are some Lakesides that grow beyong a snail's pace.

Ludi, I won't live long enough to see an Andrew mature. Your hosta are beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.

My, Mocc, your hosta are really maturing. Your Summer Music is really nice. I can see why you bought it when I look at McTavish's. We have neither your wet nor her cool, so I think that one will go further down on the list.

Don, are you suggesting I try GE? IN TEXAS??????

Thanks for sharing, everyone.

Maybe my local nursery will have something interesting this year. Although, he just picks them out from the pictures they show him. At least I know they come from Walter's. He told me that he kept buying Frances Williams because it did so well for his mother in New York. (It is really ugly here - at least in a pot.)

Thanks again.

bk

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath