Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dividing

Posted by rosemg 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 13:59

I have read that hostas should be divided in the springtime and I have also read that they should be divided in autumn. Which is correct or which is the best time? Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dividing

I usually do mine in the spring if possible only because that's when I'm the most motivated...otherwise, I do it whenever I feel like it. None of the hostas I've ever divided seemed to care when I did it.....

o

the correct answer is... wait for it.. YES!!!!

lol ...

divide BEFORE they leaf out.. so they look pretty all summer..

or when they get ugly in late summer..

or in fall ... as long as they are big enough so they wont heave if such is an issue in your z5...

or whenever your little heart desires...

and while you are digging them up.. throw one on the driveway ... you can barely kill the things...

so do it whenever ...

ken

o

• Posted by Babka 9b NorCal (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 16:16

They don't NEED to be divided like other perennials. We divide them to make more plants, or if they outgrow a container or space. They grow best when you let them mature in place over several years. I am so un-motivated in Fall, so I do dividing in Spring just as the pips emerge.

-Babka

o

I sharpen my spade in the spring. And when the eyes are just poking out of the ground and have yet to unfurl, I stab them between the eyes with a sharp thrust to the ground. Then I slowly withdraw the spade. Usually, all you can see is the spot where the spade went in. That way, IF I have to divide them later in the year ... say someone comes by and drools, it's easier to dig up a piece ...

I like spring time, they are so vulnerable then. But, as Ken sez, whenever... It's like french fries, salt them after you take them out of the oil. It's harder to do when they are cool and have the salt stick... but I digress.

Also, as Ken sez. You can put the fries on the driveway, it won't hurt 'em.

Dave *a fan of the drive fries*

o

I just dream of having a hosta so big it needs dividing!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here