Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mountainy_man_z8_ireland

Older threads/archive?

Is there any way of accessing threads previous to the 67 pages listed? The earliest is from April and have seen older threads from previous years linked to in other threads.

Thanks

Denis

P.S fantastic resource folks and great fun, well done.

Comments (25)

• User
    10 years ago

I was just doing a search using the GWeb search (the one at the BOTTOM of the main forum page, just near the "new thread" posting box). It was not very satisfactory, but then it was not possible to be exact or refined in this search.

I think someone told me it was better to google a search instead of using the internal search function. You might try it both ways. If you get a massive set of results on Google, filter it by restricting it to only HostaForum, should that be your preference. I observe that when the Forum stays on topic, results on Google show up sometimes within 15 minutes of a thread posting. So, our forum is definitely on the frequent update list for the Google webcrawler.

In my search, using the internal search function, I came up with hits as far back as 2006.

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks moccasinlanding, The search is fine if you are looking for something specific but was trying to find the continuation of the list of threads just to read through them, this doesn't seem possible does it? Mabey I'm thick and am missing something obvious.

Have had a great time over the last few weeks reading every thing in those 67 pages and don't want it to end :( lol

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I couldn't get anything older than 2013 to come up in a search on GW. I used Google and found what I was looking for. Of course, I was looking for a specific thing - hosta leaf bingo. I don't know about paging back further than that, though. I might try to find some kind of help function to get someone at GardenWeb to answer that question. Everything changed with the last "upgrade", so most of us don't have that answer.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks bk, this is the upgraded version? lol. What was it like before?

Tried searching "2012 threads + hosta forum" and got stuff from all over GW so not sure what I could use to search.

I wish there was a button for "read first unread post" my scrolling finger is getting RSI in long threads :-)

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

It was the full width of the screen, for one thing. This narrow format was their great "upgrade". The photos are a lot smaller in this format. That and the search function are the major things that bug me about the new and improved version.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

this forum is extremely active ... there are forums where a post will be on page one for a year .. lol ..

as i understand it .. FWIW ... there is a limit to 'server' capacity that GW is willing to dedicate to you hosta fiends ... and apparently.. that limit is what.. 67 pages???? [or some such technical thingeee]

SOL ...

ken

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

Hello Denis. I too have wanted to read well beyond the 67 pages that are available. So I decided to contact GardenWeb directly. Here is part of my email to them:

"Is there a way to access older threads (on the hosta forum specifically)? I see that I can access 67 pages of previous postings, but I would like to go further back than that. I believe that someone has now asked that question on the hosta forum, but I also would like to know the answer. If you could let me know, I would be happy to pass that information along."

GardenWeb's response was:

"Thank you for contacting us. Currently our search feature does not have the capability to sort messages by date. However, we are in the process of overhauling our entire search engine and hope to have it rolled out in the next few months. It's our hope that search functionality and finding relevant post results will become a lot simpler."

I guess we will have to wait and see what improvements will be made.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    10 years ago

I've been able to pull up posts going back to '08, but, these are messages I had bookmarked. So, the posts are there. A Gardenweb search for Papou brought up posts going back to '07... They're there, as said, perhaps a more detailed search question will give better results.....

Pieter

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Seems strange that all the older posts seem to be floating about out there on a cloud in cyber space but aren't linked to, only the seemingly random number of 67, surely if server limit was 67 the other stuff would have been deleted or lost. I don't know much about this stuff so I could be talking male bovine excrement lol

Thanks for taking the trouble to contact the forum gods newhostalady.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Or you can just re-post a question and get the current knowledge on that one if those people are still here. If you cannot find it in 67 pages, chances are there might be newer info. Why go back so far?

-Babka

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Babka

If we go far enough back, we might learn not to make the mistakes we made, but avoid them completely, changing the timeline so that next time we can only go back 66 pages.

Other forums, 67 pages reflect years. Carp, this is an active forum.

dave

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Dave, if there was ONE thing we learned from 'Back To The Future' (Beside the fact that Michael J. Fox really could actually carry that franchise)...it was.....

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 3:06

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Don, isn't it .. what will be will be ... ?

que sera sera

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

If not available for the GW Hosta Forum, but probably most of the good information given elsewhere about hosta cultivation in the past can still be found via Google. I just tried with 'Foliar Nemadoes in Hosta', and found great information, especially a cure in the Fall of 2005 newsletter by the St.Louis Hosta society. They used Merit, I also had good experience with Merit, systemic is the key word.
    Bernd

Here is a link that might be useful: nematode treatment

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Bernd, thank you for the useful link!

Jo

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

do a search on google copying and pasting this:

site:forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/hosta '2009'

or use the link below

change what is in quotes to what you are looking for, it will search the forum for that in the title

Here is a link that might be useful: google search

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Smithstudio, thanks! Hopefully you all can see some pictures. I can't see pictures right now because I have an issue with Firefox. Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

If you use the internal GardenWeb uploader which does one pic per post (not per thread, but per post) then if you don't have an external hosting site like Flickr or Photobucket, the pictures will always remain in the post.

However, if you do post pictures from Flickr or Photobucket albums, should you ever DELETE those albums, the picture is removed from GardenWeb as well. The HTML code we use to upload from say Flickr to here is merely a marker to the actual location, and that's why we have blanks in some threads where once lovely images appeared.

It is the one thing that keeps me from changing from Flickr, which is undergoing the reorganization and change of focus since Yahoo bought it. Likewise, I use Yahoo mail, and it is a real pain in the derriere what they are doing to my email! I get so tired of them tinkering with something that is NOT BROKEN. Plus, I am really horrified that websites keep trying to force me to sign in with Facebook or Twitter, when I try to stay far far away from those sites. It is "group think" and I do not intend to expose my life to such invasions of privacy.

The latest Firefox upgrade did something to my "default" apps/programs to play music or sound, and I was very puzzled suddenly not to do slide shows and such. Perhaps it is the latest Firefox upgrade, Berndny, which you too ran afoul of. I fixed my problem by changing from Windows Media Player to the Quicktime Player built into Firefox. Having to think about the background operations of the system is really frustrating, when all I want to do is ignore the system and enjoy the material. Seamless is good, forget the rest.

10 years ago

Thanks smithstudios71. That is helpful.

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

You can use this for most sites. Just type in site:URL of site you want to search, then in quotes "what you are looking for"

You can also use these tips for better results:

Adjacency
    Multiple words are not searched together as a phrase. They will be found in various parts of the record. To search for a phrase, enclose your search terms in quotation marks.
    (example: "garcia marquez")

Truncation
    Words may be right-hand truncated using an asterisk. Use a single asterisk * to truncate any number of characters.
    (example: environment* agency)

Anchored Searching
    You may use ^ and $ to indicate "phrase begins with" and "phrase ends with," respectively, within a search phrase enclosed in quotation marks.
    (examples: "^harry" for phrases that begin with the term harry. "stone$" for phrases that end in stone.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Search Hallson Gardens for Avocado

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Moccasin, I saw somewhere where a person from Firefox explained a new feature they have which asks for permission to go to another website while showing the URL of that website. This would make you aware before you go to a scam website. I installed that and now I no longer can see videos, pictures such as from Photobucket, Weather Channel, most of CNN, etc. Firefox has no phone numbers to call, I am not able to register to their forum. I think I will download a new version of Firefox and go from there. It's a pain. Bernd

• hostasmith
    10 years ago

Bernd, give this a shot before you reinstall, if you haven't already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Firefox image problem

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

smithstudois, I did reinstall pushing their buttons, but it is still the same, they probably remember all my selections, one of which has a problem.

Thanks for your help, but clicking on your link I can not see into any of the boxes, probably trying to go to other websites Firefox wants to protect me from.

I probably have to go to 'programs' and delete all of Firefox, I have Google Chrome and from there could download Firefox again. My 10 year old grandson uses Google Chrome and has no problems with his school work and games, LOL.

OK, a few minutes later here I am via Google Chrome, and I can see everything
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Thu, Nov 14, 13 at 19:10

10 years ago

Thanks for the extra tips smithstudios71----I'm using them already!

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

smithstudios71--Thank you so much for the computer tips! I know it has been very helpful to me--and it looks like for others as well!

Much appreciated!

Terri