Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butch_ragland

Hosta Dream Queen

butch_ragland
15 years ago

Dream Queen a new one for me this year that did well.

Here is a link that might be useful: More on Dream Queen

Comments (7)

• donrawson
    15 years ago

That looks very healthy, Butch. I think Dream Queen is a nice looking hosta once it gets some size to it. I have a friend who planted a Dream Queen and a Dream Weaver side-by-side a couple years ago, to watch and see if you could tell the difference. So far it appears that Dream Queen is a little more vigorous.
    Don

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

I've had Dream Queen now for 3 years, Dreamweaver for 2. Both were acquired as bare root stock (Costco) and they are frightfully similar. First picture here is a Dream Queen leaf, this one in it's 3rd year.

This shows a Dream Queen on the left, and Dreamweaver on the right. Both were kinda slow to get established, but DQ really came into its own this year and blossomed from 3 shoots to 7 over the summer!

If indeed both varieties are as labeled, I'd venture that DW has the slightly wider medio-variegation of the two.

• butch_ragland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Don, you know of course that both are in TC and most are from those sources. Also you know that most TC plants come from just one plant so these Dream Queen's may be from one really good grower. TC are very similar BIG BUTT not clones and must go through a culling process BIG BUTT they are culled when they are quite small.

If I had a plant in TC I would want to keep close track of how that particular/individual plant developed in culture. One would not know immediately but I would observe carefully.

I've talked about how H.'Great Expectations' did for me in TC.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Expectations

• butch_ragland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pietertje, very nice, your plants are older than mine and look larger of course.

Don, I'll have one available for you this spring. Looking forward to testing for substance, mine clearly has nice substance. Not as much as one plant I have?

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    15 years ago

Butch, this one did really quite nice this year. As you can see from the picture the pot it is in is standing in a saucer which gets topped off with rainwater every couple of days over spring and summer and it must have really liked all that water because as I said, it went from 3 to 7 shoots over the summer and not only that, it also was quite floriferous this year with lots of white seed pods, none of which were saved as I would expect most of those seeds to produce fatal whites. Not long after this shot was taken in late July it was upped in pot size to a 2 gallon and I suspect it will move to a 5 by the end of next summer.

• hosta_freak
    15 years ago

Hey guys! Here is my Dream Queen,from back in May. I find that it is a little slow growing,as this one was planted in 2006,but it has bloomed for the last 2 years. See what you think? Phil
    {{gwi:921272}}

• butch_ragland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"As you can see from the picture the pot it is in is standing in a saucer which gets topped off with rainwater every couple of days over spring and summer and it must have really liked all that water because as I said, it went from 3 to 7 shoots over the summer"
    pietertje

I think I've proven with all my work on water that hosta cannot get too much water all the way to the crowns can being under water. This disproved my final belief that crowns under water would be a problem, had to give up that old wives tale when I observed the plants putting their own crowns under water and I put crowns under water with no ill effect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crowns under water