Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zkathy

Two more hostas laughing at oncoming winter

zkathy z7a NC
9 years ago

Pic taken today. Polar vortex arrives tomorrow, but today I'm gardening in shorts and a tank top. Oh well, the big problem with fall is that it precedes winter.

Kathy

Comments (10)

• zkathy z7a NC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That was Bulletproof, this one is Ripple Effect.

Kathy

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Wow--I guess it is bullet proof.I have June on her way down.The very last one.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Weather beautiful in DE today, also. My First Frost is in competition with Bullet Proof fighting til the very end.

DD

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

happy polar vortex to you
    had mine last nite when it blew thru

only 5 months until spring!

(broke out the thinsulates and the parka wed. 19 degrees with a feels like 7 degrees)

• hosta_freak
    9 years ago

Must be nice. My hostas have been gone for awhile,due to lots of frost,and several nights of below freezing weather. Supposed to be 27 tonight! Phil,also in NC.

• User
    9 years ago

Hey there, you folks with frigid digits. We are in the 40s going to a high of 50s today. Down to low 30s next two nights.

I took some pics yesterday, and must say a few are holding up well. I did not get close to Bulletproof, but it seems to be exceptional at durability in a variety of climates.

I caught Autumn Frost looking good, even with the white on the leaf. Its potmate American Sweetheart turned orange of leaf. I have my older Doubled Up looking great beside Journey's End. The Yesterday's Memories is now golden but not down and out. Its mama Squash Casserole is still crisp and fresh looking but with a tinge of color change. The same for all the other sports of this beauty. Then one of my plantaginea still is green.

Mostly I am harvesting seedpods, and I brought in about 5 new batches last night, including some of Elegans and Frances Williams. Would it not be fitting that FWilliams open pollinated seeds turn out to be perfect of leaf? She spent the whole season this year in all day sunshine, with only a brief bit of shade. And lots of water, of course. The third hosta in the pot, Albomarginata, failed to put up any seeds.

The one I received identified as WarPaint continues with two huge green leaves. Then a streaker named Justice is totally outstanding. Both my gifts from LOTG, Sally&Bob and Dorothy Benedict are holding their looks as well. I sure hope they set lots of fat seedpods next year. They are surrounded by fragrant hosta.

No construction going on today, due to the rain. Everything is topsy turvy but it is quiet. I'm dreaming of a cozy finished home by Christmas--weather permitting, of course.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Hope the hostas survive the vortex! Some of mine did ok till it got down to 25* at night. To all of our southern gardeners, please post pics of what you have hanging on! Just makes spring seem a little sooner : )

Sherry

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

It makes me happy to see these beauties still looking wonderful... and to hear about ones still doing well for others. Mine have all been gone for a couple of weeks now.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

You can only do what you can do. I bagged all the old hosta leaves which I could easily pull. The few remaining hostas will probably be ready to lose leaves easily after this weekend with a little snow tonight and low 20s, then they will get the tree leaves mulched and are ready for winter. Only 4 to 4 1/2 months to see the first spring flowers. In those months I will be seeing hosta seedlings, starting to plant seeds in a few days.
    Bernd

• User
    9 years ago

Here are some of mine. We had the first rain in a month today, and I got pictures yesterday of the following hosta:

White Knight, fragrant

So Sweet flanked by Cathedral Windows left and Guacamole right

Staghorn fern, peace lilies, Japanese maple, and hosta in background

Paul's Glory

Autumn Frost sharing tub with Moon Shadow, almost dormant American Sweetheart and Yellow Splash Rim.

Gosan Sunproof turning orange but still lush looking

Yesterday's Memories

Fragrant Doubled Up with Journey's End

Poseidon, a relatively new fragrant with white still fine looking

And me beauty Squash Casserole, arrived here in 2011 fall, really looked fantastic this year from start to finish.

I missed taking Dorothy Benedict, Sally & Bob, plantaginea. It is going to be about 30 tonight, it rained much of the day. This is cold for us....or maybe I'm just getting old and feeling it in my bones. :)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor