Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fila2715

Cost of Hostas?

fila2715
9 years ago

I am a renter and I received the hostas pictured in this garden as a birthday gift. I recently bought a house and instead of digging up these beauties, my landlords have offered to pay me for them. Any thoughts on how much someone would pay for these plants retail? Also included is a rhododendron and a few grasses. Any insight would be great! Thanks!!

Comments (17)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

Nice sized hosta go for about $30.00 here at retail. They look like Francee to me, although my Francee seems to have a lighter flower. If it's Francee, it's not a rare or expensive hosta. The $30.00 price was for established, older varieties, not new or exotic ones.

Good luck.

Nice bed, by the way.

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i was thinking about 15 each for clumps as common as these 3 ... they are much more common up here in MI ...

bkays TX isnt a hosta haven ....

i dont see a rhodie

and i wouldnt give you more than 5 bucks for the grasses ...

if they flipped me fitty bucks.. i would gladly run over to naylor creek.. and have some beauts mailed to my house ... for spring planting ....

though i might ask for a hunnerd ... lol ... i think i depends how much you like them ????

i have no clue why the vernacular on money ... lol

ken

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

If the grass is Hakonechloa, It's worth more than the hosta! All 3 of them :-)

Why don't you just have your former landlord buy you a gift card to a nice local nursery? That way you can use it towards whatever new plants you may want to include in the garden at your new house. And somehow a gift card always seems to be less mercinary than accepting cash.

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

double posting

This post was edited by almosthooked on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 18:34

• almosthooked zone5
    9 years ago

If they were my plants what ever they are for hosta, grasses and the other plants they are large and established. I would not sell them and sure as heck would want' way more the $100 if I had to sell. Just my thoughts on it all. I'd keep them for my new place and enjoy. What did he offer? Nice garden arrangement. Francee is still one of my old favorites and infact got another this last season. Remember it takes 3 yrs to get them to look half as good as these do

• Josh Spece
    9 years ago

There is nothing rare that I see, but everything is well grown and mature. I don't think $20-$30 per plant is unreasonable. Consider how many years went into creating this and the work you invested.

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I agree with almosthooked and josh, time is important to consider. When you buy something via mail, plants usually (Naylor) are very young and look like nothing this and next year. Here you have large established plants you can plop into the ground at your new house and they look established. $100 for all would be appropriate. The rhodo might be next to the hanging pots, another $30.

• beverlymnz4
    9 years ago

I agree with most people here, not only are they mature and healthy, they are already planted and the garden is well designed. Although common Hosta they are ones I would want (and have) in my garden. $20 to $30 each is reasonable.

The Hakonechloa Aureola is getting more common around here and you can get a small 4 or 5" pot for 5 or 6 dollars. Just a few years ago it was at least twice that price.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

if you ask me.. what heroin is worth.. i might say what.. 5 or 10 bucks ...

but you ask an addict.. and they think that a $2 hosta is worth a thousand dollars ..

whats that all about ....[in other words.. you are asking value from a bunch of hosta addicts]

these are hosta you find for free.. at the curb .... in most suburban locales ... crikey she got them for free ... probably from someone who took divisions from their own yard .... [which is a wonderful gift ... in my gardening world .... ]

yes.. they are pretty.. yes they are well grown... yes they are well placed ... but they are not worth much of anything .. IMHO ...

i am waiting for OP to tell me.. how 'special' the landlords are ... are you wanting to take advantage of them???? ....

i am thinking they are happy for you ... that they love you.. they want to reward you for improving the lot ...

but i am leery of taking advantage of them ...

again.. i see no value in the grasses ... but that just means i dont DO grasses ....

and if the fence is 3 feet.. and you are asking about an 8 foot rhodie ... please advise ....

ken

ps: i hope you understand how you could take a small piece of each.. pot them.. take them with you.. and in 3 years.. have the plants at your new house?????

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I think your landlord is being extremely generous in offering you anything at all. If it were me, I'd be pleased with a $50 gift card to a local nursery like someone up above suggested.

Seems less mercenary and more in keeping with the issue at hand. And you can choose and buy new plants for your new place!

• Josh Spece
    9 years ago

"they want to reward you for improving the lot ..."

Or they don't want to have to restore the area to lawn or garden, if fila took the plants to the new house.

Even if you start from scratch...based on the number of plants I see...it would cost at least $75 to replace them...and that is if you get them cheaply. Then wait 3-4 years for it to look like this.

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

I agree more with Ken...

In my opinion, leave the garden the way it is or remove all the plants and put it back to its original condition (ie lay down sod). If I was a landlord, I would not mind if you asked to take a couple pieces off each plant but I think it's wrong to take away the biggest plants from the garden (which are technically fixtures and are now part of the property).

To be honest you can find much more exciting varieties for your new home for a pretty reasonable price. Yes, you may have to wait a few years for maturity but that is part of the fun of growing hostas.

Vanessa

• miketropic
    9 years ago

Whats that there on the bottom left the name escapes me..some ligulara i think?

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

I am a landlord. How are you leaving the inside of the property? Is it pristine?
    Will your landlord have to repair and repaint walls? Are you expecting to get 100% of your security deposit back? Have you been an excellent tenant?
    Have you made other improvements that you will not be reimbursed for?

The less work the landlord has to do to ready the place for the next tenant, the more you should ask for. $50-$100 seems reasonable for landscaping improvements.

Kathy

• digger96 4b MN
    9 years ago

I would have to say, give the landlord an estimate of your expenses that you shelled out to buy them. Tell them it's up to them if they want to add some appreciation to that. The reward is in watching them grow IMO.

Also, I don't know if your new home has empty beds ready and waiting for plants. Moving them involves digging caring for and planting in a preferably timely manner (not to mention a possible ding on the deposit for damaged turf or the effort of replacing the turf). I'd prefer to take my time planning beds at my new home and knowing it's what I want rather than rushing it to get something in the ground.

The gift card thing would be awesome

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I agree with Digger. You could purchase some more interesting plants and leave the current landscape intact.

DD

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    9 years ago

What you created there was meant for there. Moving them will not replicate it, and would you really want the same thing or prefer to create something new that is meant for the new place? It was nice of the landlord to offer to pay. As mentioned above, $50-$100 in a gift card to not have to move them would be a blessing and you'd be leaving a bit of a legacy behind.

tj

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths