Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

A very different list

jan_on zone 5b
11 years ago

I recently unearthed a list (printed last spring in a Canadian gardening magazine) titled "10 Best Hostas". Surprisingly I only have one of them, and none of them appear on the AHS top 25 popularity poll for 2011. Any comments about any of these?

English Sunrise

Great Lakes Gold

Rosedale Golden Goose

Missisippi Delta

Queen of the Seas

Silver Bay

Hanky Panky

Rainforest Sunrise

Risky Business

Spring Fling

(I jotted these down in my hosta notes but didn't record the author's name, or whether there was an explanation of how the list was compiled.)

Jan

Comments (3)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

It's a pretty good list. I don't have or plan to buy English Sunrise. All the others are very fine Hostas. Silver Bay is a Benedict Medal AOM winner. Rainforest Sunrise is the HOTY for 2013. Queen of the Seas is a spectacular blue/gray large upright rippled edge beauty. I'm surprised it's not in the top 25. It's very popular. I saw it in every convention garden. This one belongs to Kathie Sisson.

Steve

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Margot Dargatz of Hosta Choice Gardens seems to be the author of the list.

Here is a list of her additional picks;

Miniatures
    'Blue Mouse Ears' (Deckert 2000)
    Mutation of �Blue Cadet�; small, round, slightly cupped blue-grey leaves, edged with wire-thin lines of white; short spikes of lavender flowers in July/August

'Lemon Frost' (Zilis 2002)
    Bright gold leaves with pure white margins; sport of �Limey Lisa�; purple blooms in July/August

'Teeny Weenie Bikini' (Elslager 2000)
    Yellow leaves turn cream-coloured, edged with dark green; dark lavender blooms in August

'X-Ray' (Simmering 2000)
    Subtly variegated green-and-white foliage in spring, turning light green in summer; heavily rippled leaf margins; bright purple blooms in August

Sun-tolerant
    'Jewel of the Nile' (Walek 2000)
    Medium; sport of �Dee�s Golden Jewel�; dark green leaves with wide gold ⨠borders (no two leaves are alike); white blooms June to August

'Stained Glass' (Hansen 1999)
    2006 Hosta of the Year, chosen by the American Hosta Grower's Association. Medium; sport of 'Guacamole'; shiny, golden foliage with dark green margins; fragrant, pale lavender flowers in August.⨠Incredible sun tolerance and vigour

Slug-resistant
    �Orange Marmalade� (Solberg 2002)
    Medium; sport of �Paul�s Glory�; foliage has jagged, dark green edges and bright golden orange centres in spring, maturing to yellow, then white by summer�s end;⨠pale lavender blooms July to August

'Super Nova' (Zilis 1999)
    Medium; thick-textured, gold-coloured leaves with wide, blue margins; ⨠white blooms in August (colours are the reverse of �Frances Williams�)

'Touch Of Class' (Hansen 1999)
    Small tetraploid; thick leaves of chartreuse-gold, surrounded by wide, blue-green borders; light lavender blooms July to August

Here is a link that might be useful: Link for hosta favorites list

• User
    11 years ago

Thanks for bringing a different point of view to the table. I have a few of the first list and a few of JonnyB's follow up listing.

I really LOVE Rosedale Golden Goose....it is a tough plant in the climate south Alabama offers. I also have Queen Of The Seas, Silver Bay, Rainforest Sunrise (x2). They arrived well into the growing season here this year, so their performance is yet to be determined.

Interesting that Blue Mouse Ears was a product of Blue Cadet, which is the one I have--not too set on entering the mouse hunt yet.

From JonnyB's post, I have Stained Glass (x2), Orange Marmalade (which does seem to be resistant to slugs), X-Ray, and Touch of Class.

After just a moment of thinking on this post, I'd say that I'd be interested in adding Jewel Of The Nile perhaps, but definitely Super Nova which offers heavy substance, gold leaves and a darker margin, Mississippi Delta is a name which appeals to me, might be an Olga hosta? so I will look it up for sure. I like Olga's American icon series.

It will take about another month before my drive to garden is refreshed. Is anyone fired up at this time? Should things begin as they did last year, some will break dormancy in February. I'll be ready by then, I'm sure. My early order with Naylor is due to ship March 23d, soon enough.