Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

Year end performance review

jan_on zone 5b
9 years ago

If I had to fire a few,here are some likely short listers.

pilgrim - small and languishing and quite easy to overlook. I'll try a different spot for it next year.

Praying hands - I'm going to try this one in a container.

Blue Boy - pretty in the spring,but it doesn't hold it's colour or substance as well as Canadian Blue.

Hadspen Samphire - another one that is pretty in spring, but very uninteresting otherwise.

OK. They have been warned. That may be all it takes. Ann Kulpa was on this list last year, and this year was pristine all season long!

Any potential culls in your collection?
Jan

Comments (12)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    9 years ago

LS Dragonfly immediately comes to mind - looked great in the spring but as a front of the border plant it failed for me, with holes/melt out pretty early in the season. I am hoping that it is an age thing and the leaves will thicken up...

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

So true! LOL
    ("OK. They have been warned. That may be all it takes.")

Little Aurora has grown very slowly for me - it is supposed to have a medium growth rate

Smiley Face is not smiling but I will blame myself for this one.

I am happy with all the rest.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Elegans, Sky Dancer, and ABG don't hold their blue long enough in my garden. Buy I won't kick them to the curb because they will be 5 next year and are maturing nicely. They should all be like this beauty...

DD

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    9 years ago

Blue Mouse Ears, it got two leaves the size of my thumb nail and just sat there looking pathetic. Its new but so are all my others, I don't really care if it doesn't come back in the spring so it will probably take over the garden lol.

Jan I have my Praying Hands in full sun here and is growing like a weed so mabey more light from where you have it now.

That Awakening Angel is lovely DD.

Denis

• jan_on zone 5b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another of mine that is pushing the envelope is Night Before Christmas. I know there are lots of beautiful specimens out there,but mine isn't one of them.

Donna, your Awakening Angel is gorgeous.

Mountainy man. - I have a barrel with a Sun Power that was quite unhappy this year,in quite a bit of sun. I think I'll try Praying Hands there next year.
    Jan

• zkathy z7a NC
    9 years ago

Donna,
    Everytime you post a picture of your Awakening Angel I spend hours looking for it on the internet! You have the most beautiful one out there. It's moved to the top of my wish list.

Kathy

• sandyslopes z5 n. UT
    9 years ago

I didn't have to fire Loyalist, it left of its own accord. It came back looking like a mini and then disappeared into the crowd.

I have two Mighty Mouse planted together that were doing well for several years. For some reason they decided to goof off last season, only doing the bare minimum to get by. Maybe they need a raise, (in the soil), to encourage a better performance.

I have one of those Wide Brims that was hit with the ugly stick. But it shows up to work reliably so isn't in danger of losing its spot, not yet, anyhow.

(DD, LOVE your Awakening Angel. That's a beautiful photo of it looking so powdery blue. It makes me think I need to cull plants around mine, so it can stand out more like yours does.)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    9 years ago

Here's a picture of my Gypsy Rose in early June. After that, for some reason, it deteriorated. Looked like root rot to me. So I repotted it increasing the pine bark fines in the potting mix. It didn't look great, but did persevere for the rest of the season. Maybe it just doesn't like being in a pot? Anyone read Rick Goodenough's article in the AHS Hosta Journal (Vol. 45, #2) entltled "Ten Culture Tips on Growing Challenging Hostas?" Now I am not saying that Gypsy Rose necessarily falls into that category, but Rick writes about the fact that some hostas prefer better drainage, more fertilizer, their crowns exposed etc. It just made me think that Gypsy Rose requires something a little different from all my other hostas. Now I need to find out what that is.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on AA. I'm surprised that AA was not readily available for purchase online. I guess there just wasn't the demand for it. It is a limited offering from Fransen's, but they are foreign.

I planted Gypsy Rose this year in a sunny location. I love the way yours looks newhostalady. Hoping its not fussy.

DD

• User
    9 years ago

DDonna, I love Gypsy Rose, and it does well for me. I have her in a pot of course. She stays small and tidy, very much a round ball.

Your Awakening Angel would make me go out and get another one for sure. I think yours is perfect. I keep it and Astral Bliss side by side, they are so different.

In my garden, Yesterday's Memories is drooping some. Partly due to the dry weather. However, Squash Casserole is still going strong, so is Wave Runner. I had a Tickle Me Pink but keep losing track of it, so I ordered another one. I'd have to say that Squash Casserole is by far my best performing hosta.....unless you count Gosan Sunproof and Clear Fork River Valley. Oh heck, I'll have to go take some pictures tomorrow before the house framing crew arrives. I'm usually a late riser, but since they come around 7 am, I've been up at 6 and it messes up my routine.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

Kathy - Check out Made in the Shade Garden in Kansas. They may have AA in stock.

Mocc - Glad to see Squash Casserole is still going strong.

DD

• bragu_DSM 5
    9 years ago

funny, i don't see great expectations on any lists â¦

perhaps we are just getting started on the reviews

dave