Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mail order

Posted by old_dirt zone5 Mi (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 15:28

I am planning to make a couple mail orders this winter. Do the mail order companies ship at a requested time or at their own time?

If they ship at my requested time, when would you recommend to have them shipped to zone 5? I would like to plant them in the ground at the earliest possible time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mail order

Most will ship on the date of your request. If you want to put them in the ground right away, then have them shipped after your last frost date. You will have to look that up locally. For me it's May 15. It might be Memorial Day or later for you. That date is usually available through a county or state extension service.

BTW, you can always store Hostas in water. Look at the picture below. This is how plants are displayed for sale in China. Notice that the roots are in water, but the crown is not.

Steve

o

What a fascinating way to sell plants. I wonder why they do that?
Jan

o

if you order from say... naylor.. in z8 PNW .... and ask for early delivery.. they will send them in Feb or march..

what do you plan to do in MI .. pick ax that permafrost to plant them ???

also.. if you waited til ground thaw around 4/1 .. sticking a z8 plant in cold soil.. MIGHT lead to rot ...

order them for around 4/1 and have pots waiting.. and keep them in the garage ....

they can go in the ground 6/1 .... after all FROST/FREEZE POTENTIAL IS GONE IN MI...

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here