Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckykat13

So Sweet

luckykat13
10 years ago

This picture of So Sweet just taken. Nov 11. This is my last man standing. It looks great. We have had multiple frosts. Everyone else is brown and crispy. They are calling for a little snow tomorrow so I figured I was running out of time. Is it typical of So Sweet to be so frost resistant?

Comments (10)

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Mine is one of the last holdouts, too. At first I thought So Sweet would be a lackluster addition to the group, but I have really been impressed with how fresh and vibrant it is. And fragrant...gotta love it!

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

She's probably my favorite hosta. She grows quickly, comes up early, doesn't burn, stays compact, blooms prolifically and stays late. What more can you ask? (Well, she could be fertile.)

Wonder who Aden stole her from?

bk

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

On second thought, I think Steve said she was a Florence Shaw plant, but I'm not sure.

bk

My So Sweet #1

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

BK....every time I think of So Sweet, or look at her, my mind conjures up this beautiful photo you posted of the most beautiful So Sweet hosta I have had the pleasure of viewing!

LuckyKat...mine is just new this year, still in pot....but it seems like she is quite hardy and was one of the very last to change colour....what a bonus. Yours looks pretty in your garden and is a nice size...had her long??

Jo

• luckykat13
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Josephine, I have had her for 4 years but she has been unimpressive in previous years. Last October I dug her up and moved her to the current location to make room for a new front walk. She must like this spot because her size tripled this year.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

bkay - I have 'So Sweet' because of your recommendation. I had accumulated almost all of the HOTYs and inquired here if 'So Sweet' and "Fragrant Bouquet' were still considered top notch cultivars. You posted your photo, I bought one, you were right! I love 'Fragrant Bouquet' also.
    Jan

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Actually, I got her in 2009. I accidentally ordered three of her (one of my best hosta investments). I stuck them all in the same pot. It was beautiful almost immediately. That's when she became my favorite. I bought 3 more to put in the ground in 2011, but they didn't make it to the ground. Their "interim" pot became their home. These were skimpy divisions of a mature plant and reverted to juvenile leaves immediately. However, in 2012. she started to shine. This year was a dud, however, for most all my hosta growth.

Next year, So Sweet #2 should be a really nice, full hosta again.. She needs to recover. She suffered quite a bit of spring damage this year. I would guess that most of my hosta lost at least a year's maturity this spring. It was a REALLY tough spring.

bk

So Sweet #2 in 2012

• User
    10 years ago

It is good to add to So Sweet's resume that she is hardy to early frost. My two (I added a 2nd one from different nurseries) are only 2nd and 1st year growers here.

BK, your #2 So Sweet is gorgeous in that last picture.

But I've had Fragrant Bouquet since May of 2011 and she and a neighboring Squash Casserole of the same vintage managed to be the consistent good performers this year. They looked so good that I'm now trying to duplicate the conditions they shared which might lead others to perform so well next year.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I finally bought a FB this year. It bought 2, so that I could have a large pot sooner. Thanks for reminding me of Squash Casserole. Your's is so beautiful and held up so well, that I decided I had to have that one, too.

bk

• User
    10 years ago

Hey, BK, I know that feeling! I smile and am very pleased. I feel it is a miracle that all are doing "okay", and some are doing very well--or at least better than I'd hoped for.

Maybe you and I will have our dream of a hosta garden after all!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio