Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So Sweet

Posted by LuckyKat13 6b (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 11, 13 at 16:05

This picture of So Sweet just taken. Nov 11. This is my last man standing. It looks great. We have had multiple frosts. Everyone else is brown and crispy. They are calling for a little snow tomorrow so I figured I was running out of time. Is it typical of So Sweet to be so frost resistant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So Sweet

Mine is one of the last holdouts, too. At first I thought So Sweet would be a lackluster addition to the group, but I have really been impressed with how fresh and vibrant it is. And fragrant...gotta love it!

o

She's probably my favorite hosta. She grows quickly, comes up early, doesn't burn, stays compact, blooms prolifically and stays late. What more can you ask? (Well, she could be fertile.)

Wonder who Aden stole her from?

bk

o

On second thought, I think Steve said she was a Florence Shaw plant, but I'm not sure.

bk

My So Sweet #1

o

BK....every time I think of So Sweet, or look at her, my mind conjures up this beautiful photo you posted of the most beautiful So Sweet hosta I have had the pleasure of viewing!

LuckyKat...mine is just new this year, still in pot....but it seems like she is quite hardy and was one of the very last to change colour....what a bonus. Yours looks pretty in your garden and is a nice size...had her long??

Jo

o

Josephine, I have had her for 4 years but she has been unimpressive in previous years. Last October I dug her up and moved her to the current location to make room for a new front walk. She must like this spot because her size tripled this year.

o

bkay - I have 'So Sweet' because of your recommendation. I had accumulated almost all of the HOTYs and inquired here if 'So Sweet' and "Fragrant Bouquet' were still considered top notch cultivars. You posted your photo, I bought one, you were right! I love 'Fragrant Bouquet' also.
Jan

o

Actually, I got her in 2009. I accidentally ordered three of her (one of my best hosta investments). I stuck them all in the same pot. It was beautiful almost immediately. That's when she became my favorite. I bought 3 more to put in the ground in 2011, but they didn't make it to the ground. Their "interim" pot became their home. These were skimpy divisions of a mature plant and reverted to juvenile leaves immediately. However, in 2012. she started to shine. This year was a dud, however, for most all my hosta growth.

Next year, So Sweet #2 should be a really nice, full hosta again.. She needs to recover. She suffered quite a bit of spring damage this year. I would guess that most of my hosta lost at least a year's maturity this spring. It was a REALLY tough spring.

bk

So Sweet #2 in 2012

o

It is good to add to So Sweet's resume that she is hardy to early frost. My two (I added a 2nd one from different nurseries) are only 2nd and 1st year growers here.

BK, your #2 So Sweet is gorgeous in that last picture.

But I've had Fragrant Bouquet since May of 2011 and she and a neighboring Squash Casserole of the same vintage managed to be the consistent good performers this year. They looked so good that I'm now trying to duplicate the conditions they shared which might lead others to perform so well next year.

o

I finally bought a FB this year. It bought 2, so that I could have a large pot sooner. Thanks for reminding me of Squash Casserole. Your's is so beautiful and held up so well, that I decided I had to have that one, too.

bk

o

Hey, BK, I know that feeling! I smile and am very pleased. I feel it is a miracle that all are doing "okay", and some are doing very well--or at least better than I'd hoped for.

Maybe you and I will have our dream of a hosta garden after all!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here