Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudy_gw

HSG Hosta Seed Auction

trudy_gw
11 years ago

HSG Seed Auction

The Hosta Seed Growers (HSG) will host a hosta seed auction at the Hosta Library from Saturday,

November 24 through Saturday, December 1, 2012.

All proceeds from the auction will go towards

funding the 2nd HSG Seedling Competition, the 3rd HSG Picnic, and the HSG website/forum.

Many of the hosta seeds donated are one of kind.

Will post a link when the Hosta Seed Auction is posted at the Hosta Library.

Thanks to Bob Axmear for the use of the Hosta Library.

Even if you cant bid join in on the fun at the Hosta Library, auctions are really fun to watch.

Comments (20)

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

In case anyone is looking for seeds, Rick G. has some seeds on Auction right now on the Library auction site. An Uberageous seedling back crossed to Queen of the Seas.

Steve

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Rick G's seeds are gone now, but there will be a lot of seeds from the Hosta Seed Growers starting in a few days. We need to bump this post up. Bernd

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Bump. Seed Auction is starting this Saturday.

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

The first postings of the seed auction will come at around 7:30 this evening. The auction will last for a week and items will close on a staggered timetable starting next Saturday night. If you want some cool seeds, this is the place to get them.

Steve

• medabber
    11 years ago

I have heard there are SEVERAL interesting pod parents.

• dansgrdn
    11 years ago

Lots of good seeds!

Here is a link that might be useful: HSG Auction

• User
    11 years ago

Could not help myself, had to try to get some of those seeds.
    Other seeds seem to be so precious, I'd not want to do my learning on them. Someone with more experience might bring a real winner to availability.

Good luck, everyone. May the seeds all fall on fertile ground.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

I can see I am really not hooked as I can not afford to get this deep into the hosta experience. I will just have to try my hand at the seeds I collected but good luck to all the pro's in your newest purchases

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Prices for seeds are increasing by the hour, but plants are beautiful, and some of the parents are costly too. My little experience with streaked pod parents was that it gave a lot of streaked seedlings, but others had a lot of greenies. Good luck! Will see in a week, need to rebid.
    Bernd

• beverlymnz4
    11 years ago

OK. I'm in. I practiced by making a minimum bid on some that will probably go much higher. For those of you with more experience, is this one of those auctions where I should check at 5pm Saturday and bid again if I really want them? Thats my current strategy. I'm watching, making a list of the ones that I want, and if one is still affordable, I'll bid again on Saturday.

Thanks for any advice.
    Beverly

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I should not write it, but Nah, there is something about 5 minutes before closure time and date. I plan to put my final offer in 5 min before that to have a chance to win, but prices might be too high anyway then.

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Dan for putting up the link to the HSG Seed Auction, and to others for bumping up the post.

We have been out of town, and I have not figured how to copy and paste on my Ipad. Granma's are slow learners....

Lots of great hosta seeds on the auction! More seeds may be added tonight.

The auction has been fun to watch!

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

More seeds added last night.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Looked on hosta seed auction and someone either really wants one set or his fingers were shaking so much with excitement and bid $6000000000 for dean 3 . Could be a slight mistake???

• User
    11 years ago

Hmmm, hope it wasn't me?
    I had my parrot out yesterday, and he walks across the keys to great effect. I'll have to deny him computer privileges until after Christmas I guess. :)

Here he stands in front of my Windows tablet, ready to go shopping! He is a 17 year old male eclectus parrot named Keno. I adopted him 3 years ago in June when my friend, his mama, died of esophageal cancer. It took him 2 whole years of mourning before he decided to be my friend. Now he is a real sweetie. But likes to watch TV or play on the computer keyboard.

• trudy_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Almosthooked, the hosta seeds were put on the auction with a price that was a mistake at 50.

One of the seed growers put a very high bid on the item. Makes for an interesting figure for seeds. It's not a real bid :)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Hey moccasin - what a pretty boy Keno is. He looks as though he might enjoy snacking on hosta seeds if they were left unguarded. Perhaps you shouldn't buy any of the really expensive ones lol.
    Jan

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Moc , your parrot is a real beauty or should he be called handsome? With a name like Keno you best be watching him and his gambling ways and for sure never give him your credit card # or he may learn to play on line. I did think of you when I saw the high bid and your smart birds

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

And more of Trudy's great looking streaker seeds are being offered at the Auction. There are now 93 seed packs from various seed growers to bid on! Last bids are around 9 pm on this Saturday.

• User
    11 years ago

For the advice on the Wok Star seeds, I thank you, all. Should my bid for the seeds not win, I believe I'll take Steve's advice and go through Hosta Amour route.

The picture up with the auction item set my heart to pitter patter, just like it did with Don Rawson's Color Revolt. But, we shall see how things go. My resolution for 2013 is to be more aware of expenses. Ahem......but there is a month remaining in THIS year!

Oh. Keno....I thought his name was chosen because he was as green as a craps table or the felt on a gambling table of any sort. It is appropriate though...or so I think. His first mama named him well. And his personality is really laid back, he never bites, he gets along with the other birds, and the dogs, loves his toys, prefers the color yellow, watches TV, and has recently learned his wings are meant for flying.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting