Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scg_

Help...All my hosta's look horrible

Not sure what to do. I am thinking they are lacking fertilizer were all bare root early this fall.

I can't remember what this one is now but they are ALL like this.

And Blue Mouse Ears should be in the center by the bottom.....

I have some '21-10-10 +10% spring' fertilizer but it is controlled release and am told it could take up to 5 months to fully work.

Any help would be appreciated.

SCG

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

are you pulling our collective leg???

NEVER fert in fall in the great white north .. NEVER

whats that hole all about.. you sure some vermin didnt steal your dormant plant??? .. were they small plugs????

ken

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

I don't know what you expect your plants to look like in November up North. They should all be going dormant now. Unless they died, they will return in the spring. Good luck.

DD

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, against all advice I decided to fertilize BUT I spent all day yesterday separating all the "spring" grains from the fertilizer and only used them. It was kind of easy as they sort of glowed and made you feel all warm and fuzzy inside each time you picked one up. I then spread them very liberally on all my gardens and lawns and will wait the 4-5 months for them to take effect.

Yes, it was a bad attempt at humour on a very gloomy wet day.

The frosts a month ago took care of all the hosta's..

Have a great day

SCG

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

most time release .. releases based on ambient heat plus water.. to melt the gel coat ...

i doubt it will do much of anything until spring.. very late spring ... in your zone ....

i NEVER fert plants that are going.. or just gone.. dormant.. in fall ... i hope you dont live to regret such ...

can you explain what the spring grains are??? .. never heard of that term ...

ken

Original Author
    9 years ago

"Spring" fertilizer grains are used to help bring nice spring like conditions. I forgot to use them last year and we had a terrible wet and cold spring.

I know, booooo.

• DelawareDonna
    9 years ago

HA! HA! I thought you were joking. You are joking - right?

DD

Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL. Yeah, a joke.

I don't think I went over the top enough this time. Promise to do better next time :)

SCG

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

SCG- Hahaha. You had me going. I saw other green plants in the photo so I ruled out frost. Could you send me some of those "spring grains"? I could trade few spoonfuls of liquid sunshine...

-Babka

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha Babka, I guess if you don't live in an area that gets frost you wouldn't know how tough Lamium is....the bright green one is 'Lemon Frost' and is a fall favourite as it likes the cool weather and is evergreen. It really glows at dusk after the first snow!! The other, of which I forget its name at the moment, is determined to take the world over and will be ripped out in spring with no fear of it coming back hehe....

SCG

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

Your picture is not bad. I have more and bigger tree leaves on the ground. Hostas are all gone except a few holdouts. Gone means leaves are dry or mushy, I keep pulling dry ones. That's fall! Luckily we had no snow yet.
    My only fall fertilizing will be mulching tree leaves on top of hosta beds.
    But my hosta growing season will be starting in 2 weeks via seeds in my basement!
    Bernd

This post was edited by berndnyz5 on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 10:31

• stoc zone 6 sweden
    9 years ago

Thanks for the laugh!!