Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ludiciousacres

The Early Bird gets the Hosta

Ludicious Acres
11 years ago

I'm such an enabler . . . but I am curious if anyone else has taken advantage of Naylor's Early Bird special and placed their spring orders yet.

I know Mocc and I have . . . and we both selected Bridal Falls (enablenablenablenable)

If you have ordered and don't mind sharing post it here . . . I am curious to see what others are interested in.

Thanks in advance ! :O)

Ludi's Spring 2013 Naylor Order

Raspberry Sundae

Proud Sentry

Parisian Silk

Hearts on Fire

Gretchen's Grace

Frisian Waving Steel

Forest Firefly - this one looks fussy but worth it

Emerald Charger

Dark Shadows

Bridal Falls

Dream Weaver

Sharp Dressed Man (this is my second one . . . I needed another for the planting I have in mind)

Comments (11)

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

I read the sales brochure several times, they have nice plants, but then I remembered that I have 30 or so seedlings from last winter, and will start new seeds any week now, so I ran out of space, no sale.
    Bernd

• Gesila
    11 years ago

My DH suffered a brain injury this summer that required surgery. It will probably take a year for him to recover. So I didn't get over 50 of the hostas I bought this year planted, taking care of him was a full-time job. I never even got over to Flint to pick up my hostas I ordered from Rob.

I promised myself I wouldn't look at another catalog until next year. And, like Bernd, I'm going to start my seeds any week now.

Gesila

• User
    11 years ago

Gesila, hope your DH is well on the way to a full recovery, and does it well under the year projected. Blessings to you all.

As Ludi said, my order was precipitated because I wanted to make sure Bridal Falls was available. The following will be shipped the week of March 23d:

American Halo
    Borocay
    Bridal Falls
    Catch of the Day (fragrant)
    China Girl
    Clovelly
    Cold Heart
    Faith
    Fog Light
    Georgia Sweetheart
    Gypsy Rose
    Hollywood Lights
    Honey Pie (fragrant)
    Hotspur
    Jabulani
    Major Tom
    Nancy
    Night Shift
    Pathfinder
    Poseidon (fragrant)
    Southern Gold
    Theo's Blue
    Warwick Comet

I expect this will be my only large order for the year, with a few fragrant hosta picked up when I find them. They continue to be my focus, plus the ones with heavy substance such as tetraploids or tried and true, durable and quick growing varieties as I learn more about the genus.

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Gesila, I wish the very best recovery for your husband. This is a terrible injury, but surgery nowadays is so advanced, that almost anything can be cured. As an example, my only son had heart surgery 36 years ago when he was 10 months old and is a healthy man now. Bernd

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

So sorry for your hard times Gesila and wishing DH a full recovery. Sometimes it is hard to realize in a minute things can change and yet we do have so much to be thankful for. All the best to you and your family

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Gesila-we here bleed for each other. It is what is special about this forum. It is like we are family. God bless your DH with full recovery. I know you are taking good care of him in his rehab.
    Theresa

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

After my last posting Thursday , we got a phone call and my dear friend and neighbor Barb from the north passed away. She was only 58 yrs old but has fought since she was 27 , double kidney transplant and pills to counteract everything but it finally took it's toll but 31 yrs later. Every time there was another set back she would come out of it but this time was too much Her sister called her War Cloud because she was such a fighter. Then the cancer took over. No more pain now. Not really the forum to place this on but need to plant another hosta just for her beside the Remember Me I got for her this spring.Love you Barb
    Faye

• gogirlterri
    11 years ago

Here's a much needed HUGG Faye!
    Theresa

• User
    11 years ago

It is worth bringing to the forum, Faye. I believe that plants are natural memorials to our friends and family.

Do you already have Astral Bliss? Or Awakening Angel? Or even War Paint? You will know when you sort through all the emotions her passing brings to your life. The pain is gone for her, the aura remains.

Peace to Barb's family.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Nice ideas for planting with The Remember Me I planted in the spring for her ( and she saw it this fall), she liked my war paint( who I call war cloud) and love the other 2 you suggested too Moc' Great choices. I have a garden sign she gave me a few years ago and will make this Barb's area

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Faye, I was so sorry to hear about your friend Barb. War Paint was the first hosta that came to my mind after reading your post.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. We just take things one day at a time around here, taking the good days along with the bad ones...... I'm learning what the word "patience" means, it has never been a part of my character before and something that I have to work very hard at every day.

Gesila