Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

The Benedict Medal AOM 2010 - #2 Niagara Falls

There were 14 plants given the Benedict Award of Merit in 2010. The first one was Earth Angel which was previously covered as a Hosta of the Year. Similarly, First Frost was the third plant given the AOM and it was also a HOTY. Both are great plants. But the rest we haven't posted yet.

Niagara Falls is a fabulous Hosta. One of the reasons I love this pick is because it's "plain green." However, the size, substance, leaf shape, clump shape, ruffles, deep veins and curves allow this Hosta to be a stand out in any garden. I know a lot of people grow this one. This is another of Olga Petryszyn's Americana series. Yes it's very large and yes it has montana genes.

Mine is just a baby, in its first year, but Myrle's is to die for.

This one is from the Seawright Display Garden in Carlisle, MA.

Let's see yours.

Steve

Comments (10)

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

Looking rather unexciting - patience - next year will be better!
    (Niagara has three 'a's!)
    Jan

• Gesila
    11 years ago

Only in it's second year, it looked beautiful all the way in to mid October.

Gesila

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    11 years ago

Gesila, you have a truly beautiful specimen. A true winner. If I didn't know better, I would say it was fake!

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Thanks Steve. Yes, this is an amazing plant and being solid green just adds to the charm in my opinion. It is a recuring thing in my garden that solid greens are often the central feature in the area. This is the plant that first infected almosthooked and helped push her over the edge.

Niagara Falls is surely the King of the castle in this part of the garden.

• almosthooked zone5
    11 years ago

Yah ... thanks Myrle!!! I will never be the same. My poor little plant seems to never grow but I guess maybe I should be just a bit patient. I have to hug this every time I see it and sit as close as I can to it. Gesila ,I will be happy if mine was as big as yours is. Such a beauty to drool over

• Mary4b
    9 years ago

Gesila,
    I am considering this one for an area in my garden, I really am glad that you mentioned its looks through October, that is really saying something! Can you give me the details on where it is placed in terms of exposure, etc.
    It's beautiful, I bet even bigger, now!

McTavish6, have you counted your eyes yet this year? Just wondering...and how long have you had yours? Beautiful place to sit...I'll be over in an hour!

Mary

• User
    9 years ago

I got Niagara Falls in late 2012, so it was mostly dormant then. Which made 2013 the first year to see it rise up in the spring.

In July 2013 it had bloomed and set one seed pod

In 2014 it emerged looking like it had spread out a bit.

I'm liking it and another Olga ruffled greenie, Manhattan. The picture I saw of it last year on the alphabet was the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Deep lavender pink blooms, ruffles, looked like the Queen Mother! This year, Manhattan looks good, but the fire ants have invaded it after all the rains. So when they are dead, I'll repot it to keep the roots from aerating too much.

Both of these seem very easy to grow ... so far anyway.

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

McTavish, your Niagara Falls is stunning.

Gesila, yours is beautiful, just not quite as stunning.

Thanks for sharing.

bk

• TheHostaCottage
    9 years ago

LOL @ bk's comment.

Gesila, I think your plant is also stunning. It looks perfect.

Vanessa

• don_in_colorado
    9 years ago

This one is at the side of my house. I don't know what the &*%# I was thinking, but it needs to be moved to a spot where it can be shown off, in my opinion. What a great plant. All your pics are awesome. Pic from last year.

Don B.