Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jan_on

Any new hosta books?

jan_on zone 5b
9 years ago

Any books on your wish list? Does anyone have "Hostas - Grow your Hostas as per species habits" by Millette? Would you recommend it?
Jan

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I received that email message, too. No, I don't think I would buy that book. How much does the climate in France have in common with the climate in Texas? Or, Minnesota? How he grows his hosta is probably as relevant as a Diana Grenfell's books which about growing in the UK. The photos should be nice, though.

That said, I enjoyed one of Grenfell's books. The photos were gorgeous. It's not one I would add to my library, though. I checked it out from the library.

JMHO

bk

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

though french speaking ...... i thought reggie was Canadian

pretty sure he is up Quebec way ...

though still not much help to you TX peeps ...

ken

• in ny zone5
    9 years ago

I got that Email too.
    Whenever someone speaks about Hosta Books, I remember that we have that very detailed Hosta Library and Hosta Journals already, which is more than enough for me. I also do not understand why I should bring a hosta book outside into the garden where I definitely would forget to clean my hands first before touching it. But that is my personal opinion...
    Bernd

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i think a book is more of a thing to snuggle up on a frigid winter night ...

rather than carrying it around the garden ...

ken

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I remember Reggie appearing here about the same time as Papou. He had books to sell back then too. Probably very informative, especially for the Canadian folks) but he had my name on his mailing list, and I don't like my hosta friends soliciting me for profit.

So many new hostas come on the market these days, that the books about specific ones are out of date by the time they get published.

-Babka

• bkay2000
    9 years ago

I went back and re-read the ad. It appeared to me that he was re-issuing his French book on hosta in English. I read France, not Canada. It actually says neither. It's a new book. I followed through to put it in my Paypal cart. It's $25.95. It says the price might change, but I assume that means shipping.

On second reading, it sounds interesting. (I get so many solicitations, I ignore them all, and get po'd that they sent it to me. They have this new thing that will go through websites and send spam through the contact page, so my business email gets deluged.)

It might be a good buy. If anyone buys it, give us a review.

bk

• donrawson
    9 years ago

Does everyone have Zilis' latest book, Mark Zilis' Field Guide to Hostas? I've read it cover to cover and think it's excellent. Highly recommend it!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    9 years ago

Yes agree. I have read it and the Hostapedia cover to cover. Love books!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    9 years ago

Also love my Field Guide! Very informative, good pics and includes some newer hostas. My favourite hardcover (I have 4) so far is Grenfell/Shadrack book... excellent pictures, good information.

I am one that takes a hosta book outside for quick reference should the need arise. I practically live outdoors throughout growing season so it is practical for me to have a reference at hand rather than run up and down the stairs. The swing is a great place to relax and rest the back.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I read the Field Guide too. I like it a lot. Much easier to deal with spiral bound books when you are reading casually. Not so easy to deal with Zilis' Encyclopedia. However, it was the first book I bought on hosta, in late 2011 I think, and sat up reading it for many hours--in bed, of course. With that book, the real meat of it is in the first 100 or more pages, all about hosta culture. Very informative. Then you get to the specific hosta descriptions....then a detailed index.

We have some great tools available for free online as Bernd points out. All those small squares to features on Hosta Library are better than any one book title. Schmid is a very patient and particularly precise plantsman who knows more than I can ever comprehend. Makes me wish I'd taken botany instead of physics in school.

Anyway, if you have a dictionary stand around, get rid of that mere word book and replace it on the stand with Zilis' Hosta Encyclopedia. Of course it is not current, but then, that indicates the vitality the subject..