Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about hosta seed pods

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 20:42

One of my hostas has seed pods. However, they're quite immature, and don't look anything like the seed pods in the picture on the below web page.

They're still green actually. This is my one and only hosta that doesn't completely disappear during the winter. Will the pods continue to ripen even though it's getting cold, or will the freezing temps halt the development of the seed?

Deanna

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Seed Pods

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about hosta seed pods

• Posted by jspece Josh - z4 IA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 14, 07 at 21:48

In zone 5, all hostas die back completely. If this plant doesn't, it can't possibly be a hosta. Or did I misunderstand what you are saying?

Regardless of what it is, I would think freezing would stop the seeds from maturing. It does with hostas.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here