Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Another garden view...

hosta_freak
10 years ago

This is another pic of the garden from the original post looking down to the bottom of the garden,but this is looking sideways. Phil

Comments (16)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

That is so beautiful, makes me wish it were spring time now

Faye

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Me too, Faye... Me too! That garden packs a WOW no matter which angle you shoot from Phil! Love your pics, thanks a bunch.

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

the hell with spring.. i need a winter rest ... lol ...

splendiferous phil ...

your hard work shines thru ...

ken

• jadie88
    10 years ago

So restful and serene...love it!

And I'm with ken on this one...I need the "off season" so I'm finally forced to get my house whipped into shape. I always find that the better my "yarden" looks, the worse my house looks on the inside. You can tell where I like to spend my time!!

• jel48
    10 years ago

I'm afraid I disagree with ken and jadie.... we just have way too much winter here! A couple of months would be enough to rest and tidy the house. The other 4+ months are just over the top!

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Just think of the planning and sourcing you can do in the off season. When spring comes, you're ready to roll! My dear hubby thought I was nuts last winter, from January onward I made daily treks around the yard, even inspecting the buds on trees several times weekly!

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Nice Phil. You do know how to create a scene!

• jadie88
    10 years ago

So true, Jel. My zone 7 winter is nothing compared to what you all in the frozen north face, and I start getting cabin fever around mid-January!

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

Very nice Phil, looks so natural, so lush.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

So pretty. I agree with Ken about all your hard work. It really has paid off for you...and for us! :)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

You have lovely gardens. Doesn't matter which angle you are looking at!

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks,everyone! If you could see it right now,you wouldn't believe it. Everything is hanging down to the ground,and covered with a billion leaves! It's so sad to see it. The only bright spot out there is my red Japanese maple,which is brilliant red now! Phil

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

How do you do that? I have spent $$$ on rocks to terrace my little hillside and you've got hosta hanging off the side of a mountain! Lots of them! Would you show us what your beds look like this winter? How much prep do you put in each hole? How do you keep your good dirt from washing down the mountain?

I am so awed by the genius and hard work I see displayed on this forum. Phil, your mountainside is beautiful!
    Kathy

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I will post a late fall picture later,Kathy,but it is 31 degrees this morning,and I am not going out there for awhile! Actually,it wasn't that hard putting all those plants in. You understand this wasn't all done in one job? This garden has been under construction since 2006. A few at at a time,I planted them with a hand trowel,over the years. It is about all I can put there now,but they have grown in over the years. Actually some dirt does wash down the hill,but with all the plants there,the soil stays pretty much all the time. I have a Paradigm plant in another part of the garden that get covered with more dirt every year,but it grows so vigorously,it comes back up through it every year. This part of the garden was full of vines and weeds years ago,and I had to clear out all of that before I could even start. I was also 7 years younger then! Things change when you get old! Now,I just add a plant here and there as I find them. Phil

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OK,for those who want to see,and those who think my garden always looks good,here is a pic from today,showing the current condition of the garden,showing the exact location of the previous pic. Pathetic,isn't it? Phil

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

No, not pathetic, it looks like fall in the mountains. Thanks for sharing what I might see in my yard in 7 years, it'll keep me planting.
    Kathy