Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Benedict Medal AOM 2011 - #3 Cathedral Windows

Posted by steve_mass 5b (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 4, 12 at 20:52

Cathedral Windows is another exceptional garden worthy plant. However, it's unlikely to be a HOTY because it is a sport of Stained Glass and a cousin to Guacamole, both of which were HOTY's. Still Cathedral Windows performance in the garden is outstanding.

Here's mine.
Photobucket

Here's a fully mature one.
Cathedral Windows Pictures, Images and Photos

I know many of you grow this one. Let's see em.

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Benedict Medal AOM 2011 - #3 Cathedral Windows

One of my favs

o

Mine is a baby. Here's a picture of my sister's plant.
Cathedral Windows

o

Steve,

I think the HOTY lists are good for a novice such as myself to pick out nice, readily available inexpensive hosta. While some of the winners of the Benedict Medal fall into this category it is nice to see hosta picked purely on their performance merits without regard for the needs or propogation requirements of commercial growers.

I find I have, without previously knowing of the list, accumulated a great percentage of the HOTY which I like to think speaks well of my taste....but probably means I have been influenced by the industry availablity and promotion.

The Benedict List is a very good grouping to use as a basis for choosing hosta that fit an individuals taste from a list based on good performance. I surely would have bought a few more on this list had I been aware of the it previously.

Thank you for the informative threads.

Jon

o

Here is my H. 'Cathedral Windows' (upper left) and friends in 2011. It has grown since then, like it a lot. Later that year it had nematodes. In 2012 I sprayed it with an insecticide and it had no nematodes. Bernd

o

I got CW as a tissue culture in 2011. Has grown nicely but still a juvenile...really looking forward to next year which is sposed to the Leap year. Love seeing the photos of the more mature specimens since I've not seen a full grown one In Real Life.

o

All these 'Cathedral Windows' are just gorgeous. Hopefully something will die over winter and free up some spaces for new favourites, like this one!
Jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here