Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve_mass

The Benedict Medal AOM 2011 - #3 Cathedral Windows

Cathedral Windows is another exceptional garden worthy plant. However, it's unlikely to be a HOTY because it is a sport of Stained Glass and a cousin to Guacamole, both of which were HOTY's. Still Cathedral Windows performance in the garden is outstanding.

Here's mine.

Here's a fully mature one.

I know many of you grow this one. Let's see em.

Steve

Comments (6)

• bentleygardens
    11 years ago

One of my favs

• mctavish6
    11 years ago

Mine is a baby. Here's a picture of my sister's plant.

• Jon 6a SE MA
    11 years ago

Steve,

I think the HOTY lists are good for a novice such as myself to pick out nice, readily available inexpensive hosta. While some of the winners of the Benedict Medal fall into this category it is nice to see hosta picked purely on their performance merits without regard for the needs or propogation requirements of commercial growers.

I find I have, without previously knowing of the list, accumulated a great percentage of the HOTY which I like to think speaks well of my taste....but probably means I have been influenced by the industry availablity and promotion.

The Benedict List is a very good grouping to use as a basis for choosing hosta that fit an individuals taste from a list based on good performance. I surely would have bought a few more on this list had I been aware of the it previously.

Thank you for the informative threads.

Jon

• in ny zone5
    11 years ago

Here is my H. 'Cathedral Windows' (upper left) and friends in 2011. It has grown since then, like it a lot. Later that year it had nematodes. In 2012 I sprayed it with an insecticide and it had no nematodes. Bernd

• ci_lantro
    11 years ago

I got CW as a tissue culture in 2011. Has grown nicely but still a juvenile...really looking forward to next year which is sposed to the Leap year. Love seeing the photos of the more mature specimens since I've not seen a full grown one In Real Life.

• jan_on zone 5b
    11 years ago

All these 'Cathedral Windows' are just gorgeous. Hopefully something will die over winter and free up some spaces for new favourites, like this one!
    Jan