Return to the Hosta Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mulching for the winter

Posted by steve_wny 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 20:54

Hi folks,

When planting my new hostas a few months ago I mulched to within a few inches of the crowns/petioles, leaving space to promote air movement/ventilation and prevent rot and other diseases.

Now that they are dormant for the winter, would you recommend placing mulch over the crowns (to protect them and prevent heaving?) or leaving it "as is"?

Winters in my area of the country (NE US) can be harsh.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mulching for the winter

No I wouldn't put mulch over the crowns for winter. If you have very young and small plants you can find some branches from a conifer (your Christmas Tree? or your neighbors) and place them over the plant AFTER the ground has frozen. Remove these in later March early April.

Steve

o

Nature will put leaves and debris over crowns, and they will survive well. So I mow leaves over it to give it a finer texture making it more difficult for slugs to hide under. In areas close to the house I will distribute available bought mulches over all plantings including hostas. But I have a large H.'Blue Umbrellas' with the crown somewhat above the ground, exposed by winter rains, and it survives winter nicely.
I lost hostas due to crown rot over winter, but they were located in low spots with water collecting above them.
Bernd

o

If you could see the tons of tree leaves on my hostas right now,you would wonder how they survive,but they do every year,and I don't do anything until spring as far as removing any of them. In fact,you can hardly tell there is a hosta garden out there right now! Everyone to their own ways,but this is what I do. Phil

o

depends what the mulch is...

if it were fine leaf mulch.. ground up in the lawnmower until no bigger than your finger nail ... and it were the right kind of leaves [another reason to hate maples] ... it can be done.. AFTER GROUND FREEZE...

short answer.. you did good enough.. go find something else to do

ken

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hosta Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here