Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostahillbilly

group shots

hostahillbilly
10 years ago

gonna take all winter to git thru this year's pics...

this crop edit made me think of a thread possibility, group shots, in this case, with a "centre-piece"

specifically, this time, Hosta 'Fiesta'.

too bad, considering the centre-piece, that guac isn't in the shot...

ColoradoDon?

Comments (27)

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

You mean as in, 'It's not a fiesta without a little guacamole'? : )

'Fiesta' is a nice-looking hosta. I wasn't familiar with it before you posted a pic, HH.

Clockwise from bottom right; 'Chesapeake Bay', 'Blue Hawaii', 'Gone With The Wind', 'Hoosier Dome' and 'All That Jazz'. I have 'Key West' planted juuust out of camera view at left. This should look pretty cool in a few seasons, with any luck and a lot of water. Fingers crossed!

Cool idea for a thread, HH...

Don B.

This post was edited by Don_in_Colorado on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 3:35

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

Kiwi Full Monty surrounded by (clockwise) Japanese Forrest Grass, Tokudama Flavocircinalis, Japanese Red Maple, Ice Plant and Halcyon.

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I like the long shots I took of my garden. In front: Striptease with a grouping of Pandora's Box peaking out. Then a row of Blue Moon. Curly Fries is barely discernible in front of Dancing Queen under the oak. PUC is back and to the left with Journey's end behind them. There are also some green seedlings under that oak and a hypertufa pot with Mojito. Great thread, keep them coming.

Beverly

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Big ones at right are Squash CASEROLE,Blue Angel,Zippty-do-da. Then on left Halcyon,HOLLYWOOD Lights,Whirlwind and Sun Power. Taken in early July.

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Some of my oldest and most favourite.... Elegans, June, Liberty x2, Great Expectations
    Jan

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

I always appreciate group shots. The creativity shown in placing plants is inspiring. It is also informative to see a plant in context with others to get a real idea of shape and color. I hope more people post.

• Ludicious Acres
    10 years ago

Hi Everyone,

Thought IâÂÂd touch base and share my little ones with you. It's been a while since my last post, so I was definitely due. :)

Clockwise from left

Holy Mouse Ears - Frosted Mouse Ears - Flamenco Mouse - 6/23/2013

Baby Bunting on top with daughters PandoraâÂÂs Box (left) and Cameo (right) - 6/23/2013

The Mice again, but this time the photo was taken on 8/31/2013

Cheers !

Ludi

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

One of the nice shots from September I really like

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

This bed did exceptionally well and all the plants were put in in the fall last year so it was their first year growing

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

The "stump back bed" at the cottage - clockwise from the top left corner - Sum and Substance, Satisfaction, Earth Angel, Crowned Imperial, Summer Breeze, Honey song.

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

My original hosta planting. Four Undulata Albomarginata and a Frances Williams, given to me by a friend when she had to move.
    Kathy
    I apologize if the pic is upside down. It looks ok on the iPad.

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

Keep those group shots coming people. It helps lessen the pain of it being -8 c this morning. Faye, I see that beautiful High Noon in the middle of your first picture. Can't wait to be seeing that again.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I see no one has posted a group shot of potted hostas. Are the group shots to be only of those in the ground?

I loved having these two hosta together in the spring (Touch of Class & Fire Island). They compliment each other nicely. The other hosta in the picture is a NOID.

• miketropic
    10 years ago

some beautiful landscapes in here. I really needed to lay everything out better and I will get that chance with this move but here are a few from last year

• miketropic
    10 years ago

another

• miketropic
    10 years ago

one more

• User
    10 years ago

Mike, love the hosta in the heart of a rotted tree. And Sunny, your Squash Casserole makes me wish I could put mine in the ground too. Maybe in a big plastic tote like McTavish and her sister do. Mine will need more room next spring for sure. She is still lovely to look at this late in November.

But here is a shot of the long view down my Back40 hosta garden, down the Moon Walk. These are all containers.

and now looking back from the other direction

and the long view from the "sweet spot"

All were taken in late August this year.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Lots and lots of great pictures from everyone. Mocc, gadzooks! I've never seen so many pots this side of a large garden center! Your MoonWalk/Stargate/Back40 looks terrific! : ) I really love it.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Group shot!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been (quietly) enjoying everyone's 'group shots', but ColoDon just posted a pot-head group shot that caused me to FOTCLOL (that's FellOffaTheCouchLaffingOutLoud).

I'm *not* making fun of pot heads at all. Y'all's posts caused me to realize that y'all can rearrange your groups at whim, a fun and interesting idea, one that until now I only used when trying out different layouts for a new bed.

That has given me a new idea for a new bed, perhaps, a 'potted shade plant experiment bed', if you get my (sorry) 'drift'.

The inspiration this group provides is so great!

OH, Hey ColoDONrado, is that yellow tape yor snow depth gauge . . . ^_^

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Another view .montana AUREOMARGINATA and yesterday's memories in foreground.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Heh heh heh HH, actually all but one of those are in the earth now...But technically, it is a group shot, so... : ) Heh heh heh...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

'Krossa Regal', 'August Moon', 'Devon Green', 'Bright Lights' and 'Mildred Seaver', in the front yard.

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

My 'Secret Bed' at the top of the grade on the North side of my backyard. I have 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd', 'Niagara Falls', 'Wide Brim', 'Harpoon', 'Lakeside Coal Miner', 'Remember Me', 'June', and 'Rhino Hide' planted here in this pic. I later added a solid gold sport from a 'Tropical Storm' I bought locally, basically a 'Maui Buttercups' look-alike.

Don B.

10 years ago

The front bed in spring of 2013 before the fall bed expansion project:

• miketropic
    10 years ago

I can't see everything around some of these pics but it seems some of these Hosta are in a bit more sun than I would chance them in. If I had mine out like a few of these pics they would be so burns and gone I wouldn't ever get to enjoy them. It must be more northern folks that have a cooler sun in summer cus I sure couldn't pull that off here

10 years ago

Mike,
    In my zone 6 garden, hosta get morning sun only. In the picture above, you can barely see hanging branches in the background. That mature tree shades this bed from the southwest. In a few years, the small dogwood on the left end of the bed will cut out much of the morning sun.

I think hosta grow better and look better when grown primarily in the shade.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living