Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
don_in_colorado

The Hosta at the Top of Your Want/Must-have lists for 2014?

don_in_colorado
10 years ago

I know how most of us are, happily hooked on Hostas; We get our shipments of 10, 25, 50-75+ plants, enthusiastically pot them in whatever potting mixes have been proven to work well for your beauties...Or plant them in locations in earth that you've probably amended with rich topsoil and compost....Awesome, get 'em early enough in spring, we can admire them and watch them leaf out, throw scapes up beyond their canopies of wonderful and incredibly varied leaves. Of course, the plants you bought the previous season are doing their thing, but even more showy, perhaps because they've been established for a full season (or more)...Wonderful!!

Makes me think of a running list many of us have, either written down (like mine) or filed in the old Melon Vault that is the human brain....

...Difficult as it may be, tell us the ULTIMATE TOP 5 that is currently on YOUR MUST HAVE list...Give me the top 5...But that does NOT mean you have to stop at 5, no no no!!

Pictures, as always, are warmly welcomed if you have them : )

Have fun, peeps! (Also a good way for others the find out about varieties they may not know of...Yet!

Cheers, Everyone, Let's have some fun : )

Don B.

Comments (55)

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

1, Almost
    2. Outrageous
    3. Skylight
    4. Stag's Leap
    5. Blushing Blue

I'll probably buy a few more red/purple petioled Hostas like Purple Heart, and I'm always looking for more VL blues and golds as I extend my garden up the hill under the Oak trees.

Steve

• jadie88
    10 years ago

Steve, how could I forget Skylight? A must have for sure. Anyone here have photos? I have only seen a few, but they are always incredible.

• squirejohn zone4 VT
    10 years ago

Hole Mole is the only new one.

I also intend to buy Capt. Kirk & Whirlwind even though I already have them.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

This one's not mine, but I wish it was.

Skylight OS

• mikgag Z5b NS Canada
    10 years ago

These have already been ordered for 2014.

top 5 would probably be

1) Stags Leap
    2) Continental Divide
    3) High Tide
    4) Jade Cascade
    5) Ocean Isle

Allegan Emperor
    American Icon
    Beckoning
    Blue Jay
    Clear Fork River Valley
    Clovelly
    Coal Miner
    Continental Divide
    Dab a Green
    Gray Cole
    Hampshire County
    High Tide
    Hillbilly Blues
    Jade Cascade
    Krugerrand
    Montana Macrophylla
    Ocean Isle
    Pewterware
    Spartacus
    Spinach Souffle
    Stags Leap
    The King

• User
    10 years ago

Jadie, take a look at Fragrant King too....Fragrant Queen came from it.

I'm noticing several have The King listed, so guess I must investigate it before I sleep tonight.

I have a couple more to add to my list, in the crinkly golds.
    Gold Regal
    Rascal

Also, Black Mamba....I love those dark greens!

and then I am curious about
    Heart of Hearts (says it is 'INvincible' x 'Guacamole') but not pictured in the HLibrary, is in MYHOSTAS.BE...and.on the Fransen website. With that kind of family tree, it should be a worthy addition, right Don? :)

Editing to add: ATOMIC MOMMA, which is a cross between Atom Smasher x plantaginea. It says not fragrant in description at MYHOSTAS.BE. However, with the genes in its pool, I'm wondering if any fragrants could come of it in the next generation. Think it could?

This post was edited by moccasinlanding on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 15:02

• luuk
    10 years ago

Hello everyone I am new in this forum, my English is not very good, ...hope, it's ok for you :-)
    I love plants and hostas have a special place in my heart !
    I started collecting a couple of hostas in 2011, currently I have 40 cultivars and 15 duplicates.

This year I bought several variegated, so for 2014 I want some monochrome leaves, here my list:

- Atomic Elvis
    - Awakening Angel
    - Blue Tooth
    - Designer Genes
    - Jaws

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

welcome luuk! We all speak 'hosta' here, so come aboard and practice your English on us! You are the first person from Switzerland that I am aware of here - how exciting to add a new country to our list of forum posters.
    Jan

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

My list changes regularly - I buy from the local growers so my garden reflects their taste - and the annual alphabet will cause more revisions. TODAY it includes.....
    Jade Cascades
    Squash Casserole
    Lakeside Shore Master
    Foxfire Palm Sunday
    Olive Branch
    Blue Ivory
    Lakeside Cindy Cee
    Forbidden Fruit
    Angel Feathers
    plantiginea
    ....and a really large replacement for the Montana Aureomarginata that seemed to disappear this fall.
    Jan

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Welcome, Luuk! You are off to a good start already, stick around to receive lots of enabling! Your English is fine, no worries, if ever we are unsure of your meaning, we'll ask you to clarify.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

you guys will enjoy jade cascade ... glacier cascade is another great one. The flower stalks raise high atop the plant, and then cascade downwards. The leaves get huge and long.

dave *cascade*

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

It is to early yet to know what I want for 2014, and then I can still order it until April/May 2014. I have several big spots where I moved out a 6 ft conifer (was in shade) and had large trees removed with their stumps ground down. I would like a very large blue with floppy and/or corrugated leaves and large center variegated plants, which should anchor a place and become show stoppers. I like to get divisions of large plants, hate to wait forever on small plants growing up.
    Dave, I saw H.'Jade Cascade' in the Hosta Journal and like that plant too. I have others on lists, need to check into catalogs, etc. Bernd

• hillbillyhosta
    10 years ago

lakeside paisley print
    Godzilla
    rainbows end
    trifecta
    liberty

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, so many choices...I'm reading the lists you all have and I'm thinking 'How did I leave THAT one off the list'? Of course, my list seems to be growing, even though my bank account is not.

LOL Dave, well you know, more 'Guacamole'...I suppose that goes without saying (a couple more, anyway) : ) Yes, thanks for the endorsement, 'Leading Lady' looks like a big winner.

You know it, Mocc; 'Heart Of Hearts' sounds very desirable from the description, maybe a pic or two will turn up soon.

'Skylight' looks awesome!

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Always another one to add to the list, huh?...'Xanadu Passion's Fruit' is in TC production and is scheduled to be available for sale in 2014 through Land of the Giants. It's origin is from Mr. and Mrs. Skaggs. Solid chartreuse/yellow with piecrust margins and deep veining. Nice pics of it in the hosta library. I'm here to enable. : )

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

but i sooo thought I sold u Golden Gate . ..

• luuk
    10 years ago

@Jan and gardens1, thanks for the welcome messages!
    IâÂÂm happy to share this passion with you all and maybe get some experts advice.

Cheers!

• luuk
    10 years ago

...and some more
    Alley Oop
    Blue Cascade
    Bridal Falls
    Clovelly
    Dawns Early Light
    Embroidery
    Eos
    Fragrant Light
    Gila River
    Hyuga Urajiro
    Lady in Red
    Lakeside Zing Zang
    Little Black Scape
    Outhouse Delight
    Plantaginea Athena (it's a dream)
    Prom Queen
    Purple Heart
    Sails Ho
    Sparkler Walters
    Stolen kiss
    Strawberry Banana Smoothie
    Striped Weasel
    Twister
    Winfield Mist
    Winter Lightning

• ilovetogrow z9 Jax Florida
    10 years ago

More Lakesides and more minis. I have found that no matter what is on my wish list I order by I. I want it, I see it, I am going to get it. Due to house renovations I had to limit my buying to just spring this year. Lots to make up for. Paula

• jimr66
    10 years ago

Top 5 for next year:
    Dancing Queen
    Rainbows end
    Autumn Frost
    Blue mammoth
    Lakeside Prophesy

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Oh you did, HH just as surely as you sold a 'Katie Q' to me (Which I received in my last order of this season, BTW) So many to keep abreast of!

Don B.

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

DB,

this thread is overloading my ability to even try to keep up, like the alphabet runs the past few years.

info overload, never thot me the internet monster would b there, but it's run me over, d##n

BUT, don't stop, y'all, I'll come back often to try to kechup, and it'z bin worth it every time

hh

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    10 years ago

I don't have much space. I will find a spot for Liberty because it looks fantastic in every picture I see of it.

Also Guardian Angel because Ken says I must.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I write my want lists on small pieces of paper and then start new want list because I lost the paper( Or my husband loses them for me) The odd time I find the list and then wonder if I really needed it after all lol

• ci_lantro
    10 years ago

Hadn't thought much about it. Spring is a long ways off for those of us up here on the tundra. But here's a tiny little start...

Liberty
    Simply Sharon
    Mango Tango

and three fragrant ones:
    Emerald Charger
    Doubled Up
    Jade Stone

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Faye, your hubby doesn't yet realize it is futile to 'lose' your lists? : ) Heh heh heh...

Don B.

• don_in_colorado
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good call, Harry. 'Liberty' is like Jell-o, always room for it. : )

Don B.

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

1. Fragrant Bouquet ('cause she is DonGuac's momma)
    2. Rascal ('cause I can't get Golden gate locally)
    3. Emerald Ruff Cut
    4. Remember Me ('cause of the poignant story behind it)
    5. Giant land Sunny Mouse Ears

which may all be bumped now due to the top gun thread submissions, lol !!!

Jo

This list may have to be revisited, many times over!

• unbiddenn
    10 years ago

Devils Advocate
    Purple Haze
    Cameo

I have already ordered Purple Haze.

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Top 5 on list for 2014

Fried Bananas
    Neptune
    Liberty--to replace a tiny TC that just won't grow
    June Spirit
    Lakeside Prissy Miss--if I can find one

Top 5 would have been:

Komodo Dragon
    Avocado
    Earth Angel
    The Queen
    Touch of Class

But, after telling myself I was done for the year--I went to a end of year sale & picked these--and a few others--up for cheap!

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    10 years ago

Well, this is supposed to be my WANT list, right? Not my CAN HAVE list? So, for my want list, these are my top 5, in no particular order:

Dancing Queen
    Quiet Waters
    Journey's End
    Brant Rock Jetty
    Ocean Isle

What's not to want!

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Good luck with Brant Rock Jetty. It's probably in about 2 or 3 private gardens. The others are widely available. Below is my picture of BRJ in Rick Goodenough's garden.

Steve

This post was edited by steve_mass on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 8:37

10 years ago

That's why it's a WANT list, not a CAN HAVE list!

I am surprised that you didn't say that Quiet Waters wasn't available either, though. I don't know of a source for that yet, either. At least there's hope for that one, BRJ is on the list to not be shared much at all. So sad for such a beautiful and unmatched hosta! It will be on my want list for a very long time!

This post was edited by funnthsun on Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 9:38

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

I'm finally getting one of my top "wants". I'm getting Don R's Pride and Joy in the spring. It's the best one of those Paul's Glory sports and I love them all.

bk

Here is a link that might be useful: Don's Pride and Joy

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

Well, I'm having trouble coming up with just 5. It's too early for me to be narrowing things down. But I will give it a try (with caveats):

Continental Divide (Finally)
    Tea at Betty's (Anyone grow this one? I need a review.)
    Thrills and Frills (Supposedly small so it should fit anywhere.)
    Brutus (or some other big tough fancy green of which I have many on my list.)
    Spring Fling (or Bridal Falls, or Minnesota Wild or ...)

10 years ago

bk, I'm getting pride and joy this year, too. I'm pretty excited about it, too! It is a beautiful hosta :o

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

OK, Don B., you made me look for my list and go over all those listed to find the ultimate five for me. Here they are:

Bridal Falls (saw one and fell in love)
    Seducer (the images seen so far are heavenly)
    Cathedral Windows (what's not to like?)
    Old Glory (Saw a mature one---what a beauty!)
    Spartacus (love those frills and the edge)

10 years ago

ok, random double post days later!

This post was edited by funnthsun on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 11:40

• shane11
    7 years ago

Jade cascade, fried bananas, invincible, and ultramarine are at the top of my list.

• ninamarie
    7 years ago

I wonder how many posters on this thread were able to satisfy that year's hosta desires and how the hostas fared.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    7 years ago

I am wondering about that too ninamarie! I forgot that I had posted in this thread. I have copied my choices then and updated:

Bridal Falls (saw one and fell in love). ONLY ENDED UP PURCHASING IN 2016. LOOKED PROMISING!
    Seducer (the images seen so far are heavenly). PURCHASED IN 2014. SO FAR, SO GOOD. VERY LARGE LEAVES FOR THE SIZE OF THE PLANT!
    Cathedral Windows (what's not to like?) DID NOT PURCHASE---YET!
    Old Glory (Saw a mature one---what a beauty!) DID NOT PURCHASE---YET!
    Spartacus (love those frills and the edge) PURCHASED IN 2016.

• bkay2000
    7 years ago

I did get Pride and Joy, Manhattan (had nematodes, so trashed it). and a couple of the Guacamole sports. I didn't get any of the greens, though.

2014 brought the weird root rot problem. Some still show some signs, so I have not bought any new ones since then.

bk

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    7 years ago

Any chance you have a pic of your Pride and Joy that you will be adding to the P thread tomorrow, or on this thread bkay? I know I would enjoy seeing it.

• rpwoodard
    7 years ago

My Top 5:

It's a challenge...I'm a newbie, so I don't have a well-established collection yet.

I don't know how many years I'll be in this house, so I want to buy larger plants so I can enjoy them sooner!

1. Dancing Queen

2. Journey's End

3. August Moon (to replace one that had HVX)

4. Empress Wu

5. Fire and Ice

Rita in NJ

7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

NinaMarie, there is only one outstanding from my list and that is Emerald Ruff Cut (every time I see a photo of it, I have to pause a bit longer to admire its beauty!). Fragrant Bouquet and Rascal were purchased in 2014, Remember Me and Giantland Sunny Mouse Ears came later in 2015. All doing great with the exception of GSME which came up so very early but opened up so very slowly, and ended up being half of its original size. Curious how it will grow this year.

• bkay2000
    7 years ago

Pride and Joy got the root rot, too, although I haven't trashed it, yet. I had some health issues last year, so did little in the yard. I believe I'm trashing everything that shows any signs when they come up. I wish I knew more, but no one seems to know. The disease is very uncommon on hosta and hosta are very uncommon here. So, no one has any experience with it. Most everyone just says "find a better suited plant".

I'm retiring, so I will have more time for hosta this year.

bkay

• ninamarie
    7 years ago

Enerald Ruff Cut was on my list and I got it and planted it in November, I hope it fares well.

7 years ago

Bkay, I sincerely hope you have a better year in terms of your health and your hostas. Glad to hear you are retiring! From what I remember reading here on the forum, you have continued to run a business far beyond your normal retirement...if I am recalling correctly. You are definitely due some R and R ... and entering this 2017 growing season with nothing but healthy hostas is a terrific start!

Wish you much joy in your garden and am looking forward to seeing pictures of your remaining healthy, beautiful hostas again....and no doubt some new additions? ;-)

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    7 years ago

Here is what I ordered this year. Still others that I have an eye on, maybe later in the season I will add a few more to the list. I am looking forward to planting these and hopefully seeing them grow. Thank you for all the wonderful pictures this winter, it helps with planning the summer "dreams".

1. American Sweetheart
    2. Fragrant Bouquet
    3. Grand Tiara
    4. Guardian Angel
    5. June Fever
    6. Lakeside Black Satin
    7. Lakeside Dragonfly
    8. Salute
    9. Striptease
    10. Sun Power
    11. Whirlwind