Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pieter_k

Wanna compare.....

I have just updated my Hosta Library comparison routine. There are now 6091 hostas in the list and it incorporates all the latest updates Bob Axmear has posted.

Pieter

Here is a link that might be useful: Hosta Library side-by-side comparisons

Comments (12)

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

Thanks! This will come in handy.

Has this always been on there?

Terri

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

Thank you very much, this is a great tool, never knew it existed! Bernd

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The original version was developed by Hugo Philips who'd made it available as a standalone version a number of years ago and I decided to update it and rather than have it as a standalone which the end user would have to regularly check for further updates, I'd make it available on my personal website so folks can bookmark it and never have to worry about how up-to-date their version is.

Pieter

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Thanks again, Pieter!

Don B.

• luuk
    10 years ago

it's really useful, thank you very much !

• ninamarie
    10 years ago

A wonderful tool. Thank you.

• User
    10 years ago

This great tool is available at his site, as is Don Rawson's Hosta Lists.

I am very thankful how generous you are to host both of these on your website, Pieter.

And just in case someone hasn't bookmarked Don Rawson's Hosta Lists, the link is below. Sooner or later, you are going to be glad you bookmarked it. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Don Rawson's Hosta Lists

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Thank you for this very useful tool. If one hosta is not available, you can look up to see what twin of it exists, and then perhaps obtain satisfaction with the twin.

• Steve Massachusetts
    10 years ago

Peter,

Have you ever offered your tool to Bob Axmear? It would be great to have that comparison tool on the front page of the Library. BTW, I think this thing is genius.

Thanks

Steve

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Pieter, you provide a great service to the hostaphile community...A little off topic, but I must ask because of overwhelming curiosity; How are your 'Twisting The Night Away' hostas doing? I love that plant : )

Thanks!
    Don B.

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Don, I still have about half a dozen or so of the original divsions. Unfortunately I lost the most promising one to root rot last year, but I have enough left that I should be able to plant out a couple in the yard this spring. Not sure if by the time it is mature it will be of potential commercial value, but, time will tell. Let's face it, there are plenty of white-centered Hyacinthina sports already. Hopefully in about a month or so I'll sow a bunch of this year's seed harvest, I made plenty of crosses and have a fair bit of OP seed as well.

Steve, must admit I cannot recall whether or not I offered Bob to put it on the HL, I'll have to check my e-mail when I get home. Having said that, it may not be that simple, the way I have implemented the comparison routine requires server-side routines (PHP) that may not be included in Bob's server package for the HL. As said earlier, the original routine is NOT mine, Hugo Philips developed it, I simply updated it. Before I did my initial update to his routine a couple of years ago, I e-mailed him to get his blessing, but he never acknowledged my message, so I simply went ahead and continue to give him credit for his original work.

Pieter

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

Pieter - I have a problem/question re your great comparison routine. Could you please email me from my member page so I can explain the problem and the 'written in Greek' solution provided by my computer geek offspring?
    Jan