Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hosta_freak

Favorite pic of the garden..

hosta_freak
10 years ago

This pic from last year,is the wallpaper on my laptop. I think this may be the last pic this year,until next year. Phil

Comments (28)

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    10 years ago

That is nice. It would take a dandy to beat it.

Here's my wallpaper...pic from 2011.

tj

• hosta_freak
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Very nice on your computer also ,tsugajunkie,and goodnight! Phil

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

ahhhhhh, soothing - no 'puter 4 me, but here's my smarty-pants fone screen...

• hostanista
    10 years ago

OK, I'm going throw my favourite pic of 2013 into the ring. I have a lot of favourite pics but focussing only on those that include hostas, I'm going for this one - the dwarf Korean Lilac bed. There's an Albomarginata top left, a Liberty just below it surrounded by Heuchera and Japanese Fountain Grass. Next to that are a couple of smalls: Little Wonder and Blue Mouse Ears directly under the lilac. Very far right corner barely visible is Gold Standard.

This post was edited by Hostanista on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 13:11

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

I'm new to your web,and a new grower. But I am totally hooked ,and building new gardens each year. Hope I am not being presumptuous to to post a picture of part of my garden,but here goes.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Not presumptuous at all, sunnywood. If there's something we all love on this forum it's pictures! If that's a new garden you've got going there, that's a might fine start. It's looking wonderful already, and when those puppies fill in, watch out! Good job. Keep the pics coming.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Ditto,sunnywood! Garden pics are always welcome here! Phil

• gardens1
    10 years ago

Lovely, everyone! Can't wait to see that setting of yours, Sunny as it fills in more!

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement . This is a view looking in the opposite direction. The big hostas in front have been in the ground for about 4 years. Hope the rest of the garden will catch up!

• mctavish6
    10 years ago

It's always fun to look at such nice pictures. Good idea Phil.

Sunnywood, such a lot of room for your plants to mature and the garden to expand. Lucky you!

One of my favorite parts of gardening is the changes that my hubby and I make each year. This picture (a combination of 2) shows two of the the changes in 2013. The biggest thing was the expansion of our west side balcony. The extension of 10 feet made more room on the balcony itself and created a connection to the lawn. Some lower tree branches were cut so that the table could be in the new corner. Now when we drive in the driveway we see the lake and mountain. It also allows more light to come into this part of the garden. All in all, a great success.

Also in this picture is one of my additions which is the rock extension on the front of the long wall. This was made for mini's to get them in the ground and so that they could be viewed up close.

This picture is pretty small but if you click on it you should get a full sized picture if you are interested.

• hostanista
    10 years ago

mctavish - I clicked, and then got lost in all your beautiful photos. What a collection you have. And that setting! Kudos!

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

sunnywood - absolutely wonderful !

i hope u stay active here and keep showing us ur beauty...

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

I'm not much of a photographer, most of my pics were taken with my iPad. But this was taken on a magical afternoon from my garden bench this fall.

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

I don't know how to turn a pic right-side up,but you must have been holding your Ipad upside down when you took the pic,Kathy! I'm sure it is a lovely picture. Phil

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

flipped zkathy's pic

This post was edited by hostahillbilly on Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 19:22

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

McTavish, you truly live in Paradise - coming and going! Stunning gardens and view.

Sunny, your 'woodland' garden is so serene - the biggest compliment I can give you is that I would love to garden there! :-)

You've done a wonderful job and it'll just get more mature and more beautiful as time goes on...and potential for scads of pics, right? lol.

I am always interested in how mature a garden is and the age of various hosta, especially when they achieve that mature look. It was nice of you, Sunny to include the age of the larger hosta in your last pic...it saved me having to ask, lol.

ZKathy, you captured something 'magical', alright! Look at that gorgeous stream of light in your garden...it's like a beacon..simply lovely.

Am loving these pics, Everyone...thank you for sharing so much beauty.

Jo

• old_dirt 6a
    10 years ago

This is one of my favorite pictures. It is kind of the entrance to my garden area. I've been adding more beds as funds come available. I wish I had this same picture with the Rhododendrons in bloom.

Every one of these mature plants with the exception of the Dream Queen in the center have been transplanted and moved this year (plus about a dozen more.) What a job it was for a one armed man. Hopefully I learned to better plan and space for size in the future.

• gardens1
    10 years ago

old dirt, please post pics in the spring when the rhodos are blooming again and the hostas are filling out in their spring glory. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to it!

• User
    10 years ago

All are such worthy wallpapers, examples of well loved gardens.

This one will have to do for the time being. I am always in a state of reorganization, moving pots, routing new pathways, featuring different hosta. But NEXT SUMMER, I'll be almost there.......

Taken in August 2013 looking south down the length of the garden from "the sweet spot" near the Pink Pirogue.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Hard to compete with you guys, but this shot is a favorite because I managed to get a good number of plants in the shot without it looking like a total mess. That is 'Royal Tapestry' closest to the camera...Thanks for looking!

Don B.

• jimr66
    10 years ago

My big blue angel, just starting to flower, my one buddy called it "the Star Trek plant" It was 70" across.

• User
    10 years ago

Don, I think your view down the allee is satisfying for its intimacy and sense of enclosure. Long views are nice, but with personal spaces, you have a chance to build in the comforts of privacy, like finding a jewel in a rock pile.

JimR, love your Blue Angel! the variation of colors is pulsing with life, so dynamic. I must admit, those buds atop the bouquet of scapes reminds me of allium heads or a Dr. Seuss flower.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    10 years ago

This is flower spike on a Blue Angel with a unexpected intruder! That's a fantastic BA jimr.

• jimr66
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments, here is another pic of a smaller garden under my Ranier cherry tree. The blue angel is one of my favorites, even though it is a common one. Size rules!!!!

• User
    10 years ago

Sunnywood, the flower head looks like a water lily bloom or a lotus blossom.

And JimR, your color combination in the bottom picture. is exquisite. Every plant there is showing to best advantage.

• gottagarden
    10 years ago

Hi all, I'm an occasional lurker here. Usually don't have a lot of time, but right now I'm procrastinating working outside in the cold.
    Here's one from my hosta bed:

From Hosta

• hostafreak
    10 years ago

Gottagarden,your garden looks a lot like mine,except yours is a lot flatter ground! Nice pic! Phil