Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

Sharing fall colors

Just wanted to share a few pics that I did for my desktop. I like the abstracts, so I thought you guys would appreciate these. Fall really is beautiful on a hosta leaf...

Pic #1

Comments (14)

• funnthsun z7A - Southern VA
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #2

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #3

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #4

Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic #5

Thanks for letting me share!

• zkathy z7a NC
    10 years ago

Wow! So beautiful, my eyes wander delightedly from detail to detail.
    Kathy

• User
    10 years ago

Just downloaded my camera to the computer, some nice color there, but my shots were only documenting the state of the garden and not attempting to show beauty. More are fully dormant now, of course, than the last big picture taking event on Oct 29. We had a cool spell, and then we had it warm up, and it also rained after a month or more of dryness. So dormancy was interrupted.

Here is Athena and #8 plantaginea two days ago.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    10 years ago

I very much enjoyed seeing your pictures!

I thought there would be more threads with fall colors this year, but there just weren't. In my area, frost came late this year, and I figured that that would mean even more time for taking fall pictures. In the end, it didn't work out like that. For example, last year I saw beautiful fall coloration in Sagae---I was really waiting to see that again. This year it was green for an extended period of time and then it just rapidly declined. Oh well---next year is another opportunity.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I agree, I only had a handful that really showed good fall color. Most of them just turned brown this year. The ones that colored up were beautiful, though.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

One small problem here. The colors are really hard to capture. My Hyacinthia has the best color. It's bright orange with bits of green coming through. However, in the photos, it looks brown. We don't usually have good fall color, but something in the weather this year has been different. We have beautiful color this year. The trees, shrubs and hosta have great color. But it looks pretty blah when I download it.

Maybe I need a better camera.

bk

10 years ago

I don't know whether you need a better camera, bk, but a good camera does help. I, too, have taken some good pictures---or so I thought---only to discover that what I saw on my digital camera did not match what I saw on my computer. That's so disappointing. I now have a greater appreciation for the art of photography. Maybe a new thread entitled "Basic tips on how to take good hosta photos" would be helpful?

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

My regular photos turn out fine - usually. But, the orangy golds look blah afer being photographed. Maybe closeups would be better than the whole plant. I'll play with it in a photo program.

bk

10 years ago

Bk, check your camera and see if you have what they call "white balance" or an "image brightness" adjustment. That could make a big difference.

• in ny zone5
    10 years ago

My Fall turned into Winter yesterday. Today and yesterday we had a total of 2 inches of snow. All hosta leaves were gone weeks before, and my landscape before the snow was brown from wood and bark mulch and chopped tree leaves. At several nights in the teens and days below freezing, all plants are asleep. Goldfish are at rest too after their little pond got covered up with plywood and a tarp. All I wait for is a little more freezing and then turn on its side several pots with hostas in the deep shade. In 4 months the garden should have spring flowers, hostas in 5 months. Now only conifers keep the garden alive, one is getting its yellow winter color. Bernd

• User
    10 years ago

Charming description, Bernd
    It all comes together.
    Every season, turn turn turn.

Here is a link that might be useful: Turn Turn Turn....The Byrds

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES