Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafwatcher

A long term garden decoration in process !

leafwatcher
10 years ago

I have been accepting the fact the Hosta are gone for the year, I always quit posting as they start to fade away. But that doesn't mean I haven't been working on something for the yard/garden! I have been wanting to build a windmill like the old farm ones you see along the roads. So i started scratch building one from flat metal, and a bit of old steel rod, I used a old bicycle for the bearings at the hub, and the base.. I have a ways to go and need to find more angle iron in the right sizes to build my tower..but its looking just the way I wanted so far...

Lots of work !

Comments (14)

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

I showed my husband and he is in envy . He said he has an old part from a hay rake to make it and it already has the hub. ( just quoting so i may have it wrong) Anyway you have him thinking about it again and he is impressed. An old bed frame may work for angle iron unless you need it heavier.

• esther_b
    10 years ago

Hey, pretty darn impressive so far, Leafwatcher . Just be real careful around those raw sharp edges of the blades. Could you use some discarded galvanized poles from tall galvanized fencing for your tower?

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    10 years ago

That's a nice piece of work there, I can tell from your "Toys" behind it that you know what yer at. Takes a fair bit of engineering skill to get it right, are you going to generate power or pump water with it?

Looks like the real deal, nice winter project, be sure and show us the end result.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love to make it pump water ...

I think that would have to be done as an illusion, I don't think I have my design right to make it physically work...

Could you imagine it spilling from a red pump down into a small stream in a hosta bed ? hahahah it would be cool.

Bed frame angle iron might be perfect, I would like the tower to be about 7 or 8 feet high... with the 3 foot fan I think that would look good.

I hope to get it apart and paint the steel structure before winter. But I imagine this project won't be finished for quite awhile...

• MadPlanter1 zone 5
    10 years ago

Wow! I quit posting once the hostas die back, too, but you have a much better excuse. That looks so impressive, am in awe of your building skills.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Oh, hi leafwatcher. Glad to see you're not dead!

Cheers,
    Don B.

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hahahah, no just hibernating, and I am on a rc airplane binge lately, I also got a good deal on some alumalite molding silicone and resin, been playing with that a lot as well.

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

leafwatcher . I will attach a picture I took and always wanted to build. We were on a road trip with the MH and I made my husband turn around to take these pictures. So far it is just pictures.but now I don't know where I would put it anyway. Are you inspired yet? Next project. winters can be long lol

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That Cabin Mill is amazing !

I have a friend that is hand building a log cabin right now, from Power line poles ! It is enormous, and he weighs about 130 pounds wet... I will see if I can get you some info on THAT garden accessory ..hahahhaha

• hostahillbilly
    10 years ago

nice!, but the parasol needs wings & is getting jealous... ^_^

• leafwatcher
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hahaha, Parasol? the plane behind on the table? Thats a 1/3 scale Sopwith Pup.

Keep in mind this was built by one guy, and the peak of that roof is about 17 feet high ! some of the logs were 2 feet across...

• hostanista
    10 years ago

Hey, I live in one of those! Here's a little side view:

• almosthooked zone5
    10 years ago

What a nice heritage house but also see new addition in the front. Our daughter and her husband build and live in a log house in the mountains where they have a lodge. This is a picture of one of the cabins they built..

The little one I showed first is only about 5 ft square and has water pump or flowing over the waterwheel into a small recirculaing rock pit.
    Leafwatcher, Out friend has an old water pump where the water comes out and circulates into a small pond.. So many great ideas to ponder.

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Cool project, Leafwatcher. You could fire that sucker up and toss voles into it. Or not.

Don B.