Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

I miss the pictures and the activity of the forum

OK. I can't stand it anymore. I am missing the activity of the forum and the pictures. I know it's the holidays, but my addiction doesn't care.

So I've been looking over the pictures I took this season and organizing them. I must say I was inspired by LUUK and his closeup shots, and even though he posted near the end of the hosta season in my area, I practically ran outside and took some last minute fall shots!

Comments (21)

• Terri9094
    10 years ago

NHL--those are great pictures!

I am also missing all the activity! Looking forward to the alphabet. I love looking at everyone's beautiful plants and adding to my wish list. I'm hoping I can find some time to organize my pictures so I can participate!

I did get some hosta seeds from the HL Auction, since I was out bid on BADITC auction. That will be a whole new experience, since I have never tried to grow seeds in the house. Wish me luck!

Terri

• beverlymnz4
    10 years ago

I took some close ups earlier this year and didn't post them. Some didn't work out but I like this one. Hosta Love Pat at the Minnesota Arboretum.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

this is one of the more active forums around.

Some have only one or two posts per week, others one every few days. Still others, months.

dave

• rosie742001
    10 years ago

I too miss the posts!And I didn't get to the BADITCH auction until almost the end, surprised the heck out of me when I managed to win three bids. I am looking forward to trying to grow seeds , it's been awhile since I've tried! We will see how that goes. It is finally thawing out here in Western Oregon, but it is only the middle of Dec., so no telling how the rest of the winter will go!

• josephines167 z5 ON Canada
    10 years ago

Those are gorgeous close-ups, all! I took one, but not that close up...I will post it anyway. Thank you NHL...that is a great boost for this very cold day
    In my neck of the woods. Hey, Dave, got a pic?? ;-)

Jo

• jan_on zone 5b
    10 years ago

newhostalady - how great would those shots look framed in a grouping on your wall??!! I especially love the last one.

Activity on the forum is about to explode.....in about a week and a half.....I suspect. Wait for it.......
    Jan

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Terri, thanks for the compliment on the photos! I too am looking forward to the alphabet. I had a lot of pictures that needed organizing last year and didn't post as often as I would have liked---so I hope you manage to organize them and post yours. And good luck with the seeds!

Beverly, Love Pat definitely makes a good closeup!

Dave, I have heard that the hosta forum is very active in comparison to other forums, but I do miss how active it was during the growing season. I guess I just have to get "used to" the holiday slow down until at least the alphabet.

Rosie, congratulations on getting the seeds! Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun. Maybe it's something I should consider?

Thanks Jo. Your Sagae is looking wonderful. Wondering what the little leaf on top is?

Thanks Jan. I actually was considering doing a grouping of hosta photos---great minds think alike?

10 years ago

The small leaf sitting there is the biggest I could find on my Golden Scepter. I used it for contrast with Sagae (good eye!, NHL) to emphasize the size of a Sagae leaf.

I recall commenting quite awhile back on another one of your pictures that it should be framed, it was so beautiful. You not only have beautiful hosta - your camera captures them at their best...great photography...these close-ups are so clear and sharp that I feel like I want to reach out and touch them!
    Another great guessing game idea for a thread like you had before, but with greater difficulty level - only a close- up as opposed to a whole leaf. ?

I harvested a few seeds for the first time this year. Fingers crossed for germination...Terri and Rosie - can't wait for your pics of your seedlings while they are growing...please? and ... WELCOME to the forum! :-)

Jo

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    10 years ago

if you take pix at the greatest pixel size ....

you should try fooling around with your photo editor ....

you might be surprised.. how.. by cropping out 90% of the pic .. you can end up with a brilliant close up ...

even try it on the close ups you have... you might end up with pix of molecules.. lol .. individual cells ...

and i am guessing.. this is camera stuff..not pix with phones.. but who knows.. i dont have one ...

ken

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the compliments Jo! I was also thinking that closeup photos could make a good game---part of a leaf, but not fall hosta leaves as I think they would be too difficult. This fall brought different hostas that colored up well, but last year was better I think. Sagae had beautiful fall coloring and I was in anticipation. The frost came suddenly and high winds bent the leaves. Oh well. We'll see what next year brings. Good luck with seed germination.

Ken, I will have to try that out. I was thinking of visiting a greenhouse nearby that usually has a lovely Christmas display. Perhaps I can practice taking pictures there.

ANYBODY WANT TO VENTURE A GUESS ON WHAT THE ANY OF THE FOUR HOSTAS I POSTED ARE?

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

Are they Brother Stephen, Dream Queen, Rhino Hide and Great Expectations?

Don B.

Original Author
    10 years ago

You are a great guesser Don!!!!!! You have three out of four correct! The three correct guesses are (#1) Great Expectations (#3) Rhino Hide and (#4) Brother Stefan. Shall I tell you what #2 is?

10 years ago

Don, you amaze me! You truly know your hosta. And....you pay attention to the posts...NHL has favourites and you remembered them. Way to go! :-)

What is #2 please?

Ken...thanks for the tips! Will have to experiment with some of my pics as you suggested.

Jo

• don_in_colorado
    10 years ago

LOL I guess I'm getting there! Number 2 has me stumped, though. Hmmm, just don't know.

Don B.

• bkay2000
    10 years ago

Start an interesting thread. Everyone wants to play. One Mocc stated last year was photos of your Stuart Asch plants (I think). Everyone posted the photos of their Stuart Asch hosta. I planned to do an Aden thing when the forum slowed down, but got side tracked. Pick your favorite hybridizer (the guy/girl who developed your favorite hosta), post your photos of their hosta and get eveyone else posting theirs. There is Olga, Bob Solberg, Francis Shaw, Peter Ruh, etc. There are a bunch of them.

I grandmother always said to "bloom where you're planted".

That would speed up the forum and get pictures posted.

bk

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your suggestion bk! I will give it some thought.

The answer to #2 is:

• hosta_freak
    10 years ago

OK,how about a close-up of my biggest Sagae,from back in May? Phil

Original Author
    10 years ago

Without a doubt it's a beauty Phil. Got my Sagae in 2011. So I have a long wait for it to look like yours and Jo's.

Another closeup of Gr. Ex.--- (you're right Jo. It's one of my favorites!)

• User
    10 years ago

Can we also maybe put up a hybridizer who frequents our forum, like Don Rawson? He has more than Rhino Hide to his credit. I'll let someone else do it, since I'm in the throes of remodel final preparation, as well as learning how to bake bread. Yep, that has been on my New Year Resolutions list for the last 30 years, and finally I'm gonna do it. Starting off with sourdough starter, the starter is from a New England 1750s origin.....can you imagine someone keeping that particular line of starter alive all that time? Honestly, the history you can learn from the most unexpected places.

Same goes for hosta, of course. I also plan to look into Johnny's Seed Catalog and check any hosta holdings there, just for the heck of it.....I mean, have you seen how FAT that catalog is?

• luuk
    10 years ago

Hi newhostalady, I'm a little late, but I wanted to tell you that I really like your pictures, nice colors !

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Luuk! Your closeup photos were great. Perhaps you have inspired a few more of us to take closeups next year.